Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thedi now has a website!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very likely Thurnston bros negotiated a longer term contract with Thedi why those stockists a one-off. I’d expect at some point Thurston prices will be brought in line with the others. Also European retail prices include 20% VAT while I’m not an expert and can be totally wrong but isn’t sale tax in the US more like 10%?
also, VAT is included in the sales price where state sale tax in the US is not reflected in the sales price it is added to the sale price as a separate line.

jonbuilder

I'm certainly not planning on buying via Thurston Bros. Too much hassle but also not very attractive since I easily pay 40% on import tax currency conversion etc etc.

Here in Europe ticket prices always include VAT. In the USA the ticket prices in store are ex VAT, right? VAT is added at checkout. I was just wondering whether the prices on Thurston Bros website include VAT. Let's say I live in the USA and I buy a stock jacket from their website. Do I pay $1449 as listed or do I pay $1593 at checkout? (10% VAT added).
I do no think you pay sales tax unless you are in the state of WA. OR and NV has no state sales tax. Interstate the sales tax is based on the state the item is shipped to. But I notice more and more retailers are collecting sales tax when shipping out of state.
For example, I pay no sales tax buying Whites boots from Bakers located in OR when shipped to CA. Whites is located in the state of WA. If I were to buy the same boots from Whites brick and motor location I would pay WA state tax. I do not know if White collects sale tax on interstate internet sales.

Last edited:

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
The MTC-1279105 is missing on their website for some reason and also @red devil 's red Badalassi one with one button row. I this this jacket is probably based on a German 30's version with Theodoro's modifications, at least they do look similar.

upload_2021-1-13_10-51-4.png

s-l1600.jpg

red devil

The MTC-1279105 is missing on their website for some reason and also @red devil 's red Badalassi one with one button row. I this this jacket is probably based on a German 30's version with Theodoro's modifications, at least they do look similar.

View attachment 300462

s-l1600.jpg

Yes he told me it was based on a german design form the 30s. I thought it had the same ID as this one but a different version.

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
I had a rather long discussion with Theodoros during lunch break today. He asked me about the general feedback from TFL community on his new website. I think the general feedback (speaking for most of us) is that the selection of jackets is much more clear now and that professional pictures with either he or his son in law wearing a leather jacket better illustrates how his leather jackets do look in reality / being worn. I also recommended to add to each jacket (or a general information on his webiste) that different leather combinations and in some cases button or zip versions of certain jackets are available. I also asked him why he doesn't give names to his jacket models like Aero and other makers do, e.g. Aero Wayfarer, etc. but he isn't really willing to change this as it is his numbering even if he also gets confused sometimes when asking him about MTC-xx model he sometimes needs to check as well. Last but not least I asked him about the high price difference between US (Thurston Bros.) and Europe....higher qty's ordered by Thurston and different policy (perhaps strategic policy to increase his market share in the US by lowering his margin) was his response....that's ok for me as I keep ordering from him anyway as he's a nice and warm person with a lot of attention to his family.
I can also confirm this is a policy/strategy difference in diffrent countries/regions. I was talking with the official agency of Thedi in China, as I noticed the price level of Thedi jackets presented now is significantly higher compared to 2 years ago. He confirmed that was a strategic move agreed with Thedi to lower selling price (sold ~ 90% of retail price) at the beginning for breaking into Chinese market. Now 2 years later the agreement expired so the price returned to "normal" retail price, plus the price increasing from Thedi side, leading to a noticeable higher price compared to 2 years ago.

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
I was busy with moving and several working projects in the past month so I didn't know they have a new website until I randomly found this thread. So thanks Marc!

And I noticed MTC-127956. https://thedi-leathers.com/product/mtc-127956/

Boy oh boy. I have always been searching for a cossack collar cross-zip jackets. I have studied offerings from other brands such as Langlitz, Four Speed Leathers, Geruga, Pherrows, Y2 Leathers, Addict Clothes, RRL, Lewis Leathers, etc. But either there are some elements I am not 100% happy with, or the cut is not suitable for my short and wide silhoutte. But this MTC-127956 does seem click everything and I have been thinking about this jacket all day. (Working from home is not helpful at all.) Now waiting for a quote. If that's reasonable I will pull the trigger.

Now final question: does any TFL member has experience with Thedi's deerskin offering?

Last edited:

red devil

I was busy with moving and several working jackets in the past month so I didn't know they have a new website until I randomly found this thread. So thanks Marc!

And I noticed MTC-127956. https://thedi-leathers.com/product/mtc-127956/

Boy oh boy. I have always been searching for a cossack collar cross-zip jackets. I have studied pfferings from other brands such as Langlitz, Four Speed Leathers, Geruga, Pherrows, Y2 Leathers, Addict Clothes, RRL, Lewis Leathers, etc. But either there are some elements I am not 100% happy with, or the cut is not suitable for my short and wide silhoutte. But this MTC-127956 does seem click everything and I have been thinking about this jacket all day. (Working from home is not helpful at all.) Now waiting for a quote. If that's reasonable I will pull the trigger.

Now final question: does any TFL member has experience with Thedi's deerskin offering?

I have handled it, but have not owned any yet. It is veg tanned, thicker than average and very soft, it will drape well.

Tunneling usually refers to sleeves with knits. When the sleeves are too long, the knits get sucked up inside creating a bulge. This is when they are attached at the end of the leather sleeve. It’s a different construction than “storm cuffs” which are attached inside the leather sleeve.
Tunneling:
852C786D-4BD6-4A47-863D-556B73EC4BB8.jpeg
Storm cuff:
A14DE8FB-E5AE-4049-9AB7-D34EDACE3CFE.jpeg

Last edited:

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Tunneling usually refers to sleeves with knits. When the sleeves are too long, the knits get sucked up inside creating a bulge. This is when they are attached at the end of the leather sleeve. It’s a different construction than “storm cuffs” which are attached inside the leather sleeve.
Tunneling:
View attachment 303341
Storm cuff:
View attachment 303345
I see! Then what is the term for leather jacket to refer the honeycomb effect on denim? (crease?)

Do you mean the fades, or the stacks?
In leather, this could be wear areas (creasing) or character (patina/ edge wear)?
If the sleeves are longer, they will crease up so that the sleeves settle in the proper spot (usually up to 1/2in. or so. This comes with break in and wear. If the sleeve is shorter, maybe not as much, but you will get some as you bend your arms.

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Do you mean the fades, or the stacks?
In leather, this could be wear areas (creasing) or character (patina/ edge wear)?
If the sleeves are longer, they will crease up so that the sleeves settle in the proper spot (usually up to 1/2in. or so. This comes with break in and wear. If the sleeve is shorter, maybe not as much, but you will get some as you bend your arms.
I see, thanks! So I was mainly referring the creasing. I really like the creasing effect, see photos attached (copyright to fellow member @Milesdeathescape ). Does the level of creasing more related to the leather type (if deerskin is generally softer than horsehide, so less creasing?) or as you mentioned, more related to the length of sleeves?
294408-5b955f478aaebbff7c27fa346c820ebc.jpg

Attachments

• Creasing.jpg
    Creasing.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 1,073
Deerskin might show creasing, but generally the softer hides have less dramatic results. I think tanning might also play a part in creasing as well. I had a Thedi in horsehide that was beautiful and soft but didn’t get the same creases I saw on his buffalo jackets. I believe the jacket you posted is Shinki horsehide which shows creases well. Depending on wax content, you can also make those creases more pronounced with heat and moisture.

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Deerskin might show creasing, but generally the softer hides have less dramatic results. I think tanning might also play a part in creasing as well. I had a Thedi in horsehide that was beautiful and soft but didn’t get the same creases I saw on his buffalo jackets. I believe the jacket you posted is Shinki horsehide which shows creases well. Depending on wax content, you can also make those creases more pronounced with heat and moisture.
Many thanks!
Speaking of Thedi’s horsehide, I noticed that on their new website there are two kinds of horsehides mentioned in different jackets. One is called hand-dyed veg-tanned Italian horsehide leather, another is called aniline-dyed ranger Italian horsehide leather. Do you perhaps know the difference/have the experience with these two? which one do have handled or have you handled both type?

red devil

Many thanks!
Speaking of Thedi’s horsehide, I noticed that on their new website there are two kinds of horsehides mentioned in different jackets. One is called hand-dyed veg-tanned Italian horsehide leather, another is called aniline-dyed ranger Italian horsehide leather. Do you perhaps know the difference/have the experience with these two? which one do have handled or have you handled both type?

His leather selection is constantly changing as he keeps looking for interesting ones. You're better off discussing with him what you want. He only stocks top end leathers he personally select, so you can't go wrong no matter what you choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko