Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thedi now has a website!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I think on the one hand Thedi has really increased the prices in Europe due to the fact that there are many people who are willing to pay this price

Sounds plausible. Last year I tried on a goatskin Thedi cross zip with mouton vest at Dreist, one of Thedi's stockists. If I remember correctly Dreist were selling them for €1690. Back then I thought that was pretty steep but to my surprise they were sold out in no time.

Thurston Bros. guarantees Thedi to purchase a much higher qty of jackets and they simply negotiated a great deal with Thedi taking also into account that they not only offer Thedi but also Aero, Vanson, etc. and that the jackets should at least be in a similar price range.
Makes sense for stock jackets, those can be purchased in quantity. But that doesn't explain the price difference for custom jackets (n=1). You can buy a custom Thedi from Thurston for only $1449 (€1189).
7DE65421-7998-48A8-9FC3-0454D7A1912E.jpeg

The only reason I could think of which might explain this (huge) difference is that at Thurston Thedi competes with other makers (like you mentioned), and that Thedi accepts low margins just because they want to be present on the US market.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Sounds plausible. Last year I tried on a goatskin Thedi cross zip with mouton vest at Dreist, one of Thedi's stockists. If I remember correctly Dreist were selling them for €1690. Back then I thought that was pretty steep but to my surprise they were sold out in no time.

Makes sense for stock jackets, those can be purchased in quantity. But that doesn't explain the price difference for custom jackets (n=1). You can buy a custom Thedi from Thurston for only $1449 (€1189). View attachment 294078
The only reason I could think of which might explain this (huge) difference is that at Thurston Thedi competes with other makers (like you mentioned), and that Thedi accepts low margins just because they want to be present on the US market.
Interesting to read that they also offer these low prices for custom orders - I've overlooked that and thought that this only applies to stock jackets. In the end the customer decides whether to pay 1700€ for a unique Thedi or 700-800€ for a high quality Aero or even less for a SB which has same quality as Aero and obviously there are enough people in Northern Europe who are willing to pay the extra Euros.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Interesting to read that they also offer these low prices for custom orders - I've overlooked that and thought that this only applies to stock jackets. In the end the customer decides whether to pay 1700€ for a unique Thedi or 700-800€ for a high quality Aero or even less for a SB which has same quality as Aero and obviously there are enough people in Northern Europe who are willing to pay the extra Euros.
Definitively true. It sounds like I'm complaining, and maybe I am. But in the end I'm still buying their jackets. Why?
1) Their style is unique, can't get that elsewhere.
2) Build quality is excellent (much better than Aero. I would even say they're in a different league)
3) I love the leathers they use (a lot of choice, great color depth, hand finished)
4) Theodoros is a great guy (may not be important to others, but to me it is)

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Definitively true. It sounds like I'm complaining, and maybe I am. But in the end I'm still buying their jackets. Why?
2) Build quality is excellent (much better than Aero. I would even say they're in a different league)
3) I love the leathers they use (a lot of choice, great color depth, hand finished)
I definitely agree and I didn't take it as a complaint from your side - that's also the reasons why I'm considering another one and not another Aero (I'm really happy with my remaining Aero's and don't want to complain either). On the other hand people do also accept the price difference between BMW, Audi, Mercedes and a Volkswagen and if you imagine that the loss in value is a couple of thousand Euro after driving 5 minutes, the price gap between a Thedi bought in Europe compared to Thedi from Thurston is tiny if you know what I mean and a leather jacket is also an object of daily use like a car

Berto

One of the Regulars
Seems crystal clear Thedi is positioning at a high level maker and one side of his strategy is raising prices (as Edward Green does in the shoes space).

so it’s time to collect the ones desired before them reach to prohibitive prices.

Mich486

One Too Many
Very likely Thurnston bros negotiated a longer term contract with Thedi why those stockists a one-off. I’d expect at some point Thurston prices will be brought in line with the others. Also European retail prices include 20% VAT while I’m not an expert and can be totally wrong but isn’t sale tax in the US more like 10%?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Very likely Thurnston bros negotiated a longer term contract with Thedi why those stockists a one-off. I’d expect at some point Thurston prices will be brought in line with the others. Also European retail prices include 20% VAT while I’m not an expert and can be totally wrong but isn’t sale tax in the US more like 10%?
In Greece, VAT is even higher at 24%.
Does anyone know whether prices on Thurston Bros website include VAT?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

I think thats a brilliant reason for ordering with him. My wife likes my Thedis best of all my jacket only because she was MOST impressed meeting him in person.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I had a rather long discussion with Theodoros during lunch break today. He asked me about the general feedback from TFL community on his new website. I think the general feedback (speaking for most of us) is that the selection of jackets is much more clear now and that professional pictures with either he or his son in law wearing a leather jacket better illustrates how his leather jackets do look in reality / being worn. I also recommended to add to each jacket (or a general information on his webiste) that different leather combinations and in some cases button or zip versions of certain jackets are available. I also asked him why he doesn't give names to his jacket models like Aero and other makers do, e.g. Aero Wayfarer, etc. but he isn't really willing to change this as it is his numbering even if he also gets confused sometimes when asking him about MTC-xx model he sometimes needs to check as well. Last but not least I asked him about the high price difference between US (Thurston Bros.) and Europe....higher qty's ordered by Thurston and different policy (perhaps strategic policy to increase his market share in the US by lowering his margin) was his response....that's ok for me as I keep ordering from him anyway as he's a nice and warm person with a lot of attention to his family.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I had a rather long discussion with Theodoros during lunch break today. He asked me about the general feedback from TFL community on his new website. I think the general feedback (speaking for most of us) is that the selection of jackets is much more clear now and that professional pictures with either he or his son in law wearing a leather jacket better illustrates how his leather jackets do look in reality / being worn. I also recommended to add to each jacket (or a general information on his webiste) that different leather combinations and in some cases button or zip versions of certain jackets are available. I also asked him why he doesn't give names to his jacket models like Aero and other makers do, e.g. Aero Wayfarer, etc. but he isn't really willing to change this as it is his numbering even if he also gets confused sometimes when asking him about MTC-xx model he sometimes needs to check as well. Last but not least I asked him about the high price difference between US (Thurston Bros.) and Europe....higher qty's ordered by Thurston and different policy (perhaps strategic policy to increase his market share in the US by lowering his margin) was his response....that's ok for me as I keep ordering from him anyway as he's a nice and warm person with a lot of attention to his family.
Now we know :) Thanks for sharing this.

Colin G

One Too Many
In Greece, VAT is even higher at 24%.
Does anyone know whether prices on Thurston Bros website include VAT?

You pay VAT and any other import fees your country charges. Thurston Bros has no authority to determine who pays import tax or not. Only way you save is if they declare the jacket and a lesser value which they won't so you will be at the mercy of your government and its import fees.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
You pay VAT and any other import fees your country charges. Thurston Bros has no authority to determine who pays import tax or not. Only way you save is if they declare the jacket and a lesser value which they won't so you will be at the mercy of your government and its import fees.
I'm certainly not planning on buying via Thurston Bros. Too much hassle but also not very attractive since I easily pay 40% on import tax currency conversion etc etc.

Here in Europe ticket prices always include VAT. In the USA the ticket prices in store are ex VAT, right? VAT is added at checkout. I was just wondering whether the prices on Thurston Bros website include VAT. Let's say I live in the USA and I buy a stock jacket from their website. Do I pay $1449 as listed or do I pay $1593 at checkout? (10% VAT added).

marker2037

Practically Family
We don't have VAT in the US, at least not like Europe. So TB pays a non-VAT price, buying in bulk and they will also save on customs duties that one would typically get dinged with on any jacket valued over $800 USD. Depending on the state you live in, that's anywhere from 6-9% approximately.

So then if you buy a jacket from TB, depending on which state you live in you will not be taxed at all since many/most states don't have tax on interstate e-commerce. That's changing slowly over the past few years where now large e-retailers charge tax like eBay and Amazon. They never used to because interstate e-ecommerce was tax exempt basically since e-commerce first started.

I actually bought my Thedi direct from him in Europe. I think it was 850 Euros shipped and then I paid about $80 in customs.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

You pretty much summed it up, unique models, top end construction, great selection of leather by someone still so passionate after decades of experience who is also such a nice guy. That's the reason I can't stop ordering thedis. :)

To me Theodoros is one of the branches in the tree of leather jackets, he has reached the peak of his style and still growing trying to reach the sun.

Thanks for sharing :)

BassandB3

One of the Regulars
EA571132-E859-4F81-9D0D-0C4752C6C993.jpeg
97F8E369-9549-4D6E-8D2E-E76619987A55.jpeg
I’m digging this jacket! anybody know if this is cognac vs cuoio Buffalo?

The P2P of these shawl collars seems pretty narrow compare to my other Thedis but hopefully I can make it work.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The P2P of these shawl collars seems pretty narrow compare to my other Thedis but hopefully I can make it work.
I've tried/had two of these and in both I wore my regular Thedi size L. Thedi also offers an unlined cossack which's sizing is slightly different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points