Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

These are golden age accurate, would you do it?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
It was common to tuck one's sweater into the trousers just like tucking in your shirt.
Wearing a hat with the front turned up wasn't meant to look funny.
Having a tie come down to about the middle of your chest, nowhere reaching your trousers, was done by some well-dressed men.

Anybody on the boards wear there clothes in any of these styles?

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
styles

Tucking your sweater in seems like it would be hard on the sweater and not easy to do with braces on. I'm trying to remember Gable in "It Happened One Night" I don't think he tucks his sweater in, that's the only sweater wearing that comes to mind.

I think wearing your tie short stems from the fact that vests were worn more often. You might could get away with it if you wear a coat all the time and didn't have much of a gut.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have been taking flak for tucking in my sweater and wearing short ties seventeen years. For those who don't like it, there's a lake over there.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Did all of them

If the sweater isn't too heavy and with high waisted trousers it works. I usually wear an 8/4 cap but have done the brim up on a fedora a few times (as long as it's not folded up too much...then you become Gabby Hayes :) )! As for the ties, again if the waist is higher I think it can look o.k. Sefton

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
There was a brief moment in the eighties when sweaters were being tucked into trousers again. I had a big cream fisherman knit that I tucked into a pair of "English back" trousers. Even if I ever wanted to go for that look again I doubt that I could, my days in size 30 pants are long gone, and I'm afraid I'd look like the Michelin Man.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I don't have much use for sweaters or ties, and yes I sometimes wear my hats with the brim snapped up all the way around. I don't wear ties much unless it's a really formal ocassion. When dressing up with a jacket you could say that I have the "Monk" from the USA Network style...ie...I button the top button of my shirt.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Gene Kelly made tucked in sweaters look pretty cool in An American in Paris. Casual, but not sloppy.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I wear my stetson whippet with the brim turned up in front from time to time. With a jaunty tilt, it doesn't look too bad on me.

I do that with the tie to get a better knot if I am wearing a waistcoat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters