Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They've gone too far.

15blades.jpg

That was a gag in Mad Magazine in the 70s!.

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
I should have followed through on my scheme to sell bottled water..

ha, you know what Evian spells backwards....

Don't know if you heard about it in the US, but coca cola got into trouble with a planned bottled water product in the UK a few years back. I can't remember what the product name was, but they used a term that was like "spring water" - gave the same suggestion, but actually wasn't - technically it was well within the bounds of legality, but they were actually bottling and planning to sell tap water from the local reservoir. Naturally all hell broke loose when consumers heard adn the whole scheme was dropped sharpish!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
For those of you guys who get burn or nicks when shaving using a cartridge razor, try using a shaving oil rather than cream. The oil doesn't hide all the contours of your face like cream does. In addition, it provides extra lubrication for your razor, reducing nicks and burns, and the oils condition and moisturize. Best of all, the ingredients are usually all-natural and if you really want to save money or are particular about the scent, you can make your own, adding essential oils to your liking.

American Crew makes a good one and I've heard that the one made by the Pacific Shaving Company is good. I make a homemade one for my man that he likes, and I can use it on my legs too. Will be happy to provide a good recipe here or links upon request.

Flieger

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I make a homemade one for my man that he likes, and I can use it on my legs too. Will be happy to provide a good recipe here or links upon request.

Please do KittyT. I love homecooked stuff. :)

/F

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Flieger said:
Please do KittyT. I love homecooked stuff. :)

There is some good, basic info on types of oils you can use and also what types of essential oils you can use at http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/homemadeshaving_sixz.htm. I took the first recipe on the page and both modified it and cut it way back. The recipe they provide makes 6 oz of oil. The old Crew shaving oil bottle I had was only 2 oz and lasted for quite awhile, so I decided to make a smaller batch.

3 TBSP almond oil
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1/2 TBSP wheat germ oil
1 1/2 TBSP jojoba oil
1 TBSP grapeseed oil

Then I added just enough eucalyptus essential oil and rosemary essential oil to get a very, very light scent (probably 15 drops total of rosemary). Eucalyptus is pretty refreshing on the skin and rosemary is a good choice for shaving oils because it is anti-inflammatory and helps combat irritation.

Olive, almond, canola, wheat germ, sesame, coconut, jojoba, and avocado (and also grapeseed) all work well in shaving oils because they are light, and they can be combined in pretty much any proportion. Note that avocado oil is a bit thicker and heavier, so it may be better to use if you have dry skin.

When shaving with oil, it really only takes a small amount, about 6 drops or so. Massage into wet face, let it sit for 15-20 seconds, the rewet face before shaving. Add more water or a little more oil if experiencing razor drag. Note that shaving oils kindof leave a nasty grime in your razor (oil+hair+dead skin). To me, the extra effort to clean my razor is worth it for the results and the satisfaction I get from making my own, natural product at home.

My homemade product has been a hit with my man, and I like the close shave he gets with it. He's using a Mach 3 razor and hasn't really gotten any nicks since switching to the oil.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
KittyT said:
try using a shaving oil rather than cream, it provides extra lubrication for your razor, reducing nicks and burns, and the oils condition and moisturize. Best of all, the ingredients are usually all-natural
I've been using this product, which contains olive and coconut oil, for around ten years. Perfection! And, one container lasts me around a year.:)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
That and orange mocha frappachinos make me think I am living in a sitcom.
Feraud: I saw a guy order a half peanut butter chocolate and half mango Italian Ice at Uncle Louie G's last night in Park Slope. GAK!
But to get back to the topic, I still advocate giving your face a few seconds of hot wet treatment before you shave. A hot towel is ideal, but just the application of HOT (not scalding, but as hot as is comfortably tolerable) wetness for a minute or so makes a huge difference. It takes a while to soften the beard, but if you do this you'll be glad you did.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
A hot towel is ideal, but just the application of HOT (not scalding, but as hot as is comfortably tolerable) wetness for a minute or so makes a huge difference. It takes a while to soften the beard, but if you do this you'll be glad you did.

It also opens up the pores and lets your razor get closer to the root of the hair!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
What's the texture of that? Foam? Cream?
It's a cream that never really lathers up, which upon my initial use was was a bit disconcerting, but the stuff is fantastic. It's gotta be the oil.

Nashoba

One Too Many
MK said:
Oh.....so the ladies don't like the scruffy look?

Not this lady :D
And my husband hates shaving. That's why I'm glad he HAS to shave for work. when he's home for any period of time and doesn't have to go in, he gets lazy and doesn't like to shave. So I get stubborn and don't like to kiss :) The scruff hurts my face.

I like the Fusion razors though...I'll admit it I steal his and use them myself lol

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
If your skin is as touchy as mine, I suggest you try the Fusion.

I have a hard time getting my head around that. If your skin is touchy, the solution is to run more blades over it? I'm not disputing your experience, Matt, I'm just trying to figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters