Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They've gone too far.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
i like the good old straight razors. I like the safety razors that grandpa had. I never had a shave as close until today. I recieved a Gillette Fusion 5 blade razor in the mail and decided to take it for a spin. It gave me the smoothest shave I've ever had... Close as I've had with a straight razor. It's too smooth.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tony in Tarzana said:
Safety razor blades are just so darn cheap.
There is some sticker shock with the multi-blade cartridges but they do last significantly longer than single blades. They can also be purchased on-line, in bulk, at a substantial discount.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
?

Oh.....so the ladies don't like the scruffy look?

403999137_32ad6cfb98.jpg

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I'd be afraid to try it. Every time I have shaved with a cartridge razor I have cut myself and had nasty burn afterward. I can count on one hand the number of times I have cut myself with the straight razor I use every day.

Feraud

Bartender
CharlieH. said:
This reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live fake commercial featuring a ludicrous multiple blade Gillette razor... and one of the funniest cases of "life imitates art" I've ever seen.
That and orange mocha frappachinos make me think I am living in a sitcom.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of the nice things (maybe the only nice thing) about turning 40 was that my sensitive skin became quite a bit less so. When I was younger, I couldn't shave on a muggy day because my face would turn angry red. I can also shave against the grain now. 20 years or so ago I tried that and it took a week for my face to heal.

oddlots

New in Town
I grew up using a pretty standard disposable razor, occasionally switching to a (gag) electric number before letting most of my facial hair grow free for several years. When I started cleaning up my image I went to a straight razor (antique one that my grandfather used as a barber) or occasionally a Mach 3. However, I've gotten the most "pain-free" AND smooth results from the Fusion Power model that I currently use. The little single-blade trimmer on the back is more or less useless, but I find that I can get a faster, more comfortable result with the Fusion than almost anything else. The straight razor was effective, but often left me a bit red-faced (it was the type with a disposable single-edged blade, which may have been the problem).

The Fusion is the only "modern" part of my shaving routine, however. I still use a brush, Proraso soap and pre-shave cream and a good after-shave balm. I figure it's the best of both worlds!

Bottom line, for those with thick, coarse, curly facial hair and sensitive skin, like myself, the Fusion Power is GREAT.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
The Mister uses the Fusion and the Hydra Gel that they make for shaving. He used to get really bad razor burn on his neck, but when he switched to the Fusion.... nothing. It's the best shave he's ever had. Smoooooooth!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Tony in Tarzana said:
One of the nice things (maybe the only nice thing) about turning 40 was that my sensitive skin became quite a bit less so. When I was younger, I couldn't shave on a muggy day because my face would turn angry red. I can also shave against the grain now. 20 years or so ago I tried that and it took a week for my face to heal.

Ouch. Guess I'm lucky in that regard. Quite often I still resort to cold-water latherless shaving or sometimes (egad!) dry shaving. It takes the hot water too long for my impatient temperament to reach my faucet. I got thing to do. :rolleyes:

Richard

Edward

Bartender
The Fusion - like the Mach III before it - comes in both power and non power versions. I use the non power version myself - I tried both options with the Mach III and quite honestly couldn't determine any perceptible advantage whatever to having the power handle. The cartiridges for the Fusion are about twice the price of the Mach III ones. I used to change blades every six weeks or so; now I tend to need a new one once a month since I started having a much greater area to shave (I started shaving my head completely about a year ago when a number 1 buzzcut twice a week ceased hiding the thinning on top). I must try and find them cheaper - my local Sainsburys seems incapable of stocking anything other than their own brand cartiridges (which only fit their handles - they stock plenty of the other brand handles, but they never have the blades in stock, which sucks - I'm sure they're much cheaper than the local chemist I currently use if they but sold the damn blades). Tried the Sainsburys ones, and they're crap - they had a version of the Mach III, but the cartiridge is closed at the back ,and the result is that the hair just builds up inside it and blocks it.

I try to use sensitive skin gel when I have the time, though most often i judt end up running the razor under the hot tap. I think blades would last longer under the cold, but I get a closer shave with the hot. C'est la vie... I'm still looking for an unperfumed aftershave balm - there are a few balms on the market, but they all have an aftershave smell, which I hate. I stopped using aftershave the instant I was just about old enough to shave regularly. Hate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters