Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick Wool Car Coat

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I've enjoyed a 1960s wool car coat for the past 15 years...but I've finally worn it out. I'm looking for a replacement. I've been looking at new offerings but they're too thin. I want a thick Wool car coat. Does anyone know who makes one?

I've enjoyed a 1960s wool car coat for the past 15 years...but I've finally worn it out. I'm looking for a replacement. I've been looking at new offerings but they're too thin. I want a thick Wool car coat. Does anyone know who makes one?
RMC makes some of the thickest wool I've ever handled. TBH I found it uncomfortable. My railroad coat would stand on it's own...no small feat for wool! Not sure if this is the same but it looks mighty thick: https://www.realmccoyslondon.com/collections/outerwear/products/mj18114-25
SuperdenimTheRMC0118181024_2050x.jpg

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
I’ve got that jacket. It’s like wearing a rag, what CXL is to leather that is to wool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mich486

One Too Many
Mitch is this store/site legit?
https://www.realmccoyslondon.com/
There is something I'd like to buy, in my size but I have no idea if the site is legit or not...seems to good to be true...3 day delivery, rare sizes etc...

Hey Ton no worries that’s the website of the London shop. The only official Real McCoy’s shop in the west as far as I know. Bought a few times no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Austrian Loden wool coats. I have one that I picked up from TweedyDon here on the Lounge. It is heavy almost felted wool. They are made in all manner of styles/lengths. Mine came with a removable wool liner that worn together would get me through the coldest NDakota on Minnesota winter. If you Google, there are a number of online shops selling new as well as Ebay and Etsy listings. Another thought is a vintage/used Cashmere overcoat. I have picked up 3 on Ebay, all in pristine condition and length wise just a bit past knee length. Never paid more than $100 for any of them.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
If you're not requiring something "NEW" ebay has tons of car coats. Also as said above, Filson has several that satisfy as does LL Bean. Not a fan of the Bean but... Hey, if it gets you there who cares!

Worf

Peacoat

Bartender
Depends on whether you are after a more tailored 3/4 length car coat or just a long wool coat, I guess.

24oz wool Filson Mackinaw?

View attachment 195532
I have a 24 oz Filson Mackinaw. Disappointed in the weight. Nothing like my vintage Woolrich Mackinaw which is a warm jacket. I think it is 28 oz. I wore it the other day late in the afternoon when the high for the day was 28 degrees. I was doing some non-exertional work in the shade and stayed warm. Toward the end of the two hour period, as I was coming back to the house, I could feel a little chill on my back next to the lining. Not yet cold but the beginnings of a chill. I wouldn't want to wear it while inactive in 28 degree weather for much longer than 2 hours. Although a sweater (jumper) or a vest would help a whole lot. Unfortunately, with the weight I have picked up, there is no room for layering.

I looked at the Real McCoys' link posted by @ton312 above and found the Army Mackinaw. I am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on it (why can't I stay away from the Outerwear section?). I am a fan of the Mackinaw style coats.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I guess car coats is another term, like blazers, the definition of which has expanded? The term used to mean short overcoats or raincoats that fell short of the knee. They were very common in the 1960s and 1970s and were intended for men who spent most of their travel/commute time in cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ