Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
actually, this blondie album was out in `78

blondie.jpg

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I agree...

I like the variety that thin ties offer to any wardrobe.

Feraud said:
I like it. I am expanding my appreciation of the different looks that are around. There is a place for fat ties and skinny ties.
I recently picked up a couple of thinner than usual ties. My wife likes 'em and they go with the narrower brim hats I own.

As an aside, Angelina could use a pastrami sandwich. :)

...perhaps another "grab and feed" mission?

lol lol lol

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
I don't care much for thin ties. Seems like I remember they came into style sometime in the late 50's, along with narrow lapels and 3 button coats (middle button only buttoned, although some buttoned the top two buttons if there was no vest). I never thought thin ties looked all that good with vested suits, it showed too much shirt. I think that lasted through a good part of the 60's until the style became huge wide ties and lapels, an awful men's style period.

I always had trouble getting the knot to look good on a thin tie, especially with a button down shirt collar. In my opinion, the better looking thin ties were narrow stripes, solid or silk rep. For more relaxed occasions, thin knit ties were sort of neat. Unfortunately, when they went out of style, I got rid of all my thin ties I think. Probably not a smart move.

I suspect current styles of somewhat wider ties and lapels may have to do with men now generally being bigger and maybe fatter than in earlier periods. (a problem I don't have - When I graduated from high school in 1948-49 at 16, I was 6'1"" and weighed 149 pounds). This morning I weighed 146 pounds, so not much changed, although I may have lost a half inch in height. Age will do that to you grrr*^$#* (that's supposed to be cussin")

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

Some of my ties are thin ones, mostly Rooster and Wembley. Great patterns! They do require a different sort of tie clip than wider ties do. Or maybe a stickpin.

(Actually, returning to the first post for this thread, I think the best accessory for a thin tie might well be Angelique Jolie on one's arm.)

Some outfits just work with thin ties, and to my eye, not all of them are Rat Pack or Blues Brothers costumes.

Cheers,
Mark

_tone

New in Town
skinny ties look great with the right suit. generally, to my untrained eye, things of a particular vintage look better together, so a suit from the 50's looks better with the accessories that come from the same general era.

Feraud

Bartender
Has anyone seen any thin ties sold retail that are not black?
Are there patterns or embroidered examples out there?

I would like to see stuff like this being offered to the public.
scan0173.jpg

scan0163.jpg

scan0162.jpg

It's the strangest thing, these narrow ties. I'm not a huge fan, personally, but we always have a few on hand in the shop to round out the selection. I've observed a fairly seismic jump (for such a small sub-category!) in the popularity of them (along with tie bars) among the college crowd around Charleston -- thanks, quite explicitly, to Mad Men. So I took the liberty of re-naming them the Madison Ave. tie lol .

Most of the college guys are of smaller build anyways, and usually are without a jacket, so the tie works, in a hipster sort of way.

If you're bigger than a size 44 (and that's pushing it) in the shoulders, beware -- it starts to look a little, well, bad.

A.R. McVintage

Skinny ties, from the fifties:

Artists and Models, 1955:

artists8seztwecc4gs.jpg

North by Northwest, 1959:

cheavies.jpg

*make sure you tell Messrs Martin and Grant what a coupla jerks they look in their thin ties, cowboy76. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany