Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

Jovan

Suspended
cowboy76 said:
0408tie_10oawrsfrown.jpg

hmmmm,......skinny ties,....yeah, not so much!;)
That is NOT a good example. That thing must be only 1" wide at most. The skinniest you should go is 2", IMHO.

cowboy76

Suspended
Jovan said:
That is NOT a good example. That thing must be only 1" wide at most. The skinniest you should go is 2", IMHO.

lol Yeah I know,....but the fact is there are plentu of cats who DO go for that look,..horrible as it may be!! I agree with you on skinny ties,..2" at MOST,...but then I'm not much of a mid-late 50s guy myself. Interestingly enough, many neckties from the 1930s were only 2.5" - 3" wide,.....

Jovan said:
I think a good middle ground is 2.25-2.75". I have a few ties that are 3" wide.

I've been inspired -- I have a new line out for Christmas (also seen in the "What are you wearing today?" thread, few weeks back...") that are all 2.5 to 3 inches in width, all in very cool fabrics. See previous posts...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=445844&postcount=1650

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=445977&postcount=1656

I should have some on the CharlestonBows.com or 319 Men.com website for purchase soon.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
LOST

Shearer & I were noticing that one of the newest characters on LOST has parachuted onto the island wearing a tie. Seemed odd.
Well theres a costumer's podcast on this episode.
http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/02/08/lost-video-podcast-recap-february-8-2008/
111058_403_pre.jpg

When Jeremy Davies met Sanchez for a fitting, he was wearing a skinny black tie. Sanchez liked the idea of Daniel having a costume that mixed "edginess" with a more traditional academic look, so he used the tie.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Thin ties do require narrow lapels, it is true. I inherited a thin (2") Hermes tie from the sixties from an uncle of mine (he never threw away a single tie during his life and I've got 'em all). I wear it with a 1965 three piece Anderson & Shepard suit that I bought at an Oxfam in London for ten pounds. Very John Steed, only thing missing is the bowler....and, of course, Mrs. Peel.

LindyTap

Familiar Face
metropd said:
In this case Mr Astaire prevails as the champion.......and of course LindyTap as well.;)

Well, It's not hard to win any sartorial contest if you have Fred Astaire on your side. :D Really though, the big lapels/skinny tie is a very thirties look, and personally I really like it. I think it looks good on thin men, such as Mr. Astaire and myself, especially.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think that a thin tie and wide lapels are compatible on a DB, vested or three button suit where there is a smaller and higher V zone; Not so much otherwise.

astaire2.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
In all fairness, I think the emaciated width of the tie has a part too. Too much of anything can be disastrous!

Well, he looks dishevelled. The large collar is starting to curve upwards.
0408tie_10oawrsfrown.jpg

So the shirt isnt at its best in that shot. But regardless the collar is too big for a small knot or thin tie. Perhaps a collar bar wouldve helped?
But compare to this shot of BradPitt's collar & thin tie
jtm0223351.jpg

We could even compare it to the LOST shirt & tie
111004_085_pre.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany