Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things I wanna know before I kick the bucket!

3fingers

One Too Many
I'm not a big cat fan, but they seem to like me. A friend who has always had a cat says it's because I ignore them. When I see one I always say "hi cat" and walk on by.
Apparently this intrigues them for some reason.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Cats speak many languages, and can ignore you in all of them.

Cats will ignore you whenever they want to. But when they want something
from you, they will not stop until they have your attention.

If I ignore Polo’s meows when he wants out, he will go to the window
nearest me at my computer desk.
The window has wooden Venetian blinds.
He makes sure I’m watching as he rattles the blinds indicating that
he wants out.

Once outside, I can call him him ’til I’m blue in the face and he won’t reply.
Other times, outside in the backyard when I pass by, I’ll say,
“Hey Polo...you know how lucky you are just sitting there licking yourself
and not worry about where your next meal is coming from?”
He usually honors me with one meow and goes on his merry way.

Last edited:
What's a quote that inspires you and why?
"Don't tell lies; there's less to remember." - "Indian Larry" DeSmedt. I think the "why" is obvious. ;)

But seriously, here's part of a longer quote from Bruce Lee: "It is not, 'I am doing this,' but rather an inner realization that 'This is happening through me.' The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." He was referring to martial arts, but I've found this applies to a great many actions. Performing a task at work or at home that isn't going particularly well, having a bad day on the golf course, driving in rush-hour traffic, whatever. Trying to force something to happen the way I want or expect it to almost always makes things worse, but when I remember this quote and remove myself (more specifically my ego) from the equation and allow the task to happen, it always seems to suddenly happen effortlessly and everything falls into place.

I'm convinced that one of our dogs may not actually SPEAK English, but he understands it.
The "experts" claim dogs can learn and understand a limited number of words regardless of the language. Whether or not they respond to them appropriately is an entirely different matter.

My kids spontaneously broke out into this the other day at school. Cracked me up. :)
I wish I had the patience and physical coordination to learn it; I can think of more than a few occasions when I could put it to good use. :D

nickgp

New in Town
Cats will ignore you whenever they want to. But when they want something
from you, they will not stop until they have your attention.

If I ignore Polo’s meows when he wants out, he will go to the window
nearest me at my computer desk.
The window has wooden Venetian blinds.
He makes sure I’m watching as he rattles the blinds indicating that
he wants out.

Once outside, I can call him him ’til I’m blue in the face and he won’t reply.
Other times, outside in the backyard when I pass by, I’ll say,
“Hey Polo...you know how lucky you are just sitting there licking yourself
and not worry about where your next meal is coming from?”
He usually honors me with one meow and goes on his merry way.
My mom used to say women are like cats" and hold up her hands and make a ssss cat sound!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My mom used to say women are like cats" and hold up her hands and make a ssss cat sound!

Grew up with five sisters.
I still have tiny scars on my arms from those nails they had.
Learned early in life not to mess with women! :(
IMG_3100.JPG
10xapnp.jpg.gif

Last edited:
Id like to know why the US doesnt use 220v electricity like other countries as a standard. I assume it has to do with the amount of people and usage of electricity, but what do I know?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Id like to know why the US doesnt use 220v electricity like other countries as a standard. I assume it has to do with the amount of people and usage of electricity, but what do I know?

Interesting question.
My guess is that it goes back to the electricity war between Edison (DC) and Westinghouse (AC).

But I’m just flicking the on & off switch to see what lights up...I really have no clue.

I could power up the “LizziePedia” signal in case we are still in the dark with this
question! :)

Interesting question.
My guess is that it goes back to the electricity war between Edison (DC) and Westinghouse (AC).

But I’m just flicking the on & off switch to see what lights up...I really have no clue.

I could power up the “LizziePedia” signal in case we are still in the dark with this
question! :)
We need to create a "Batsignal" for @LizzieMaine so she will know when she is needed. [emoji14]

3fingers

One Too Many
Because we were first. When Edison came up with a practical light bulb he didn't have the materials to make a filament to stand higher voltage. By the time that advancement happened 120 volt was the standard. It was also thought to be safer to use than 240 volts. Europe and a lot of the rest of the world was farther behind in widespread electrical distribution so they were able to take advantage of the lower distribution cost of higher voltage.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Because we were first. When Edison came up with a practical light bulb he didn't have the materials to make a filament to stand higher voltage. By the time that advancement happened 120 volt was the standard. It was also thought to be safer to use than 240 volts. Europe and a lot of the rest of the world was farther behind in widespread electrical distribution so they were able to take advantage of the lower distribution cost of higher voltage.

Great stuff that 3fingers thanks.
Now we have an alternative to when we need help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21