Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you bought because they appeared in the Fedora Lounge

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh the temptation! I have many things that were not on my screen before I joined the Fedora Lounge. Some were directly posted in the "vintage finds and deals" or "classifieds" and some were only mentioned somewhere. I will start with my list but I am sure there are more things. Sublimal messages, you know?

-Ralph Lauren beltback sportcoat (Thanks Marc)
-DVDs: Seabiscuit, Road to perdition, Frank Capra Box-Set
-LVC cotton chore jacket (because I have seen something similar in the workwear thread)
-Melton CPO shirt (same)
-Red Wing Boots
-more vintage ties (Thanks Widebrim)
-Chambray shirt (didn't even know about the fabric.)
-Navy style GAP jeans (Thanks Flat-top)
-cricket sweaters
-shawl collar sweaters

Okay, that's all I can think of at the moment. I am also member of a german vintage forum but their taste is different (No american workwear)

Edward

Bartender
Jinkies, what haven't I bought.... there are things I'd probably have bought anyhow - like an A2 (but possibly not more than one...). Other, I'm not sure. I don't think I'd have gotten as into vintage without the Lounge, and as I've done that I have developed an appreciation for some things that formerly I really wasn't struck by. Irvins are one. FairIsle style knits (I like the real thing, but I can't afford it). Nylon flying jackets - especially the MA1. I'm also much more likely to buy "expensive" now as I simply have much greater knowledge as a result of frequenting this place. You.... you.... ENABLERS!!!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My first post here - many moons ago - was on the white RN sweater. Also used by BoB pilots. To day I have two of them.
I was also helped/inspired to buy a RAF Type B Flying helmet, Mk II goggles and oxygen mask. Can you believe that?
You guys....are impossible!

Flat Foot Floey

You.... you.... ENABLERS!!!
Your posting about the Marco Boots inspired me to start this thread. :D
It's a shame they are already sold out in black. I would like to have a pair too.
there are things I'd probably have bought anyhow
Yes. That's why I mentioned the german forum. There are also books, magazines and movies for inspiration. But the workwear thing is from here.

I forgot to mention my trip to finland. Visiting Sproily was great and we "met" each other here in the FL. I also bought some things there:
-1930s DB suit jacket
-1950s SB peak lapel jacket for stroller/black lounge
-1940s/50s tweed sportsjacket
-1940/50s shirt-jackets in maroon woll and blue cotton (similar to what is often called a "french" work shirt)
-1930s (?) flannel pants. I still don't fit into them though.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, a real shame about the Marco boots. I tried to order a pair, but Amazon told me a day or two later the seller no longer had them available. Don't see any point buying a brown pair when I can get a pair of repro Service Shoes in the UK for a bit less. Honestly, if wherever those are produced started doing them in black too, I think they'd sell well. I'd love a whole bunch of RedWings, but they're pricey enough that it'll be a couple of years before I can justify one pair, let alone one pair in each colour.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Oh dear Floey this is a dangerous thread topic, my wife might actually see this list...
;)

Seriously, way too much stuff. Off the top of my head:
Fair isles sweater vests
A couple of Macy's belted back linen sportcoats
A couple of those Critiden belted back linen sportcoats
White vintage tennis/cricket clothing (white trousers and sweaters)
A polo coat
A vintage silk top hat
A Deckard Powell fedora (not arrived yet)
A Revamp spearpoint collar shirt

I think I need to stop now...

Undertow

1. Red Wing Boots have always been interesting to me, but it wasn't up until now that I realized how much I "needed" them. lol
2. Same goes for trousers, pants and jeans which fit at my waist.
3. Peak lapels - finally found a presentable evening suit to replace my notch lapels.
4. Murray's Super Light Pomade for the win!
5. I purchased about 8 hats from St. Joe's Stetson Outlet thanks to a post on the lounge.

I'm sure there are many more.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Jinkies, what haven't I bought.... I'm also much more likely to buy "expensive" now as I simply have much greater knowledge as a result of frequenting this place. You.... you.... ENABLERS!!!

Ain't it the truth? The things I simply *must* have after hanging around the powder room and beauty thread... yikes!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Saddle shoes.
Cardigans.
Sweaters.
Suits.
Gin.
Yarn.
Fabric.
Patterns.

Not that I needed the FL to influence me in the last 4, but I know it certainly didn't help me to cut down. :) Gah. But on the positive side I did finish some projects since I've been here. I still plan on winning the contest of "she who dies with the most fabric wins." I have a significant head start. I'm gonna have a Martini tonight to celebrate.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Julie Hewett lipsticks (thanks, Fortworth Gal!)
VO5 for hair styling (and the smell goes away soon enough!!)
These shoes:
1639.jpg

Mostly though, I've been inspired to beef up my vintage collection by the purchases, hand made clothes and just the general knowledge and love of vintage that other Loungers share online her.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't know where to start or where to end so I won't even attempt to list all the things.

Let me just say that when I came here three years ago, I was mainly into hats...

Edward is so right: enablers!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Before I discovered FL in early '09, I was already into fedoras, newsie caps, pocket watches, waistcoats, funky forties-style ties, and wing-tip shoes, as well as some military-style outerware.

I discovered Akubra hats here. I got into tie-yer-own bow ties here, too. What the Lounge did for me in the way of goods, primarily, was to point out the details of what makes certain items either truly vintage, or good repros. From there, I make my choices.

WH1

Practically Family
Lots of vintage bar ware, many books,The Thin Man collection, numerous hats to include 5 fedoras, 3 panamas, and 2 Homburgs, spectators, Cashmere topcoat (Chasseur was the enabler), 1 issue of Apparel Arts Magazine, peak lapel dinner jacket with vest, Sazerac Rye, Sailor Jerry Rum,...think I need a 12 step program.

WH1

Practically Family
Not a big fan of the flavor although I use Pernod for the occasional Sazerac cocktail.

Marc you have been a major contributor to my purchasing as you have offered much information and insight which gave me the confidence to invest in many of those items. So a sincere thank you for the mentoring and inspiration you have given.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I got interested in "modern" hats from the Lounge (came here related to hat making knowledge because I wanted to make 1860's era hats for reenacting)

Goodwear Jackets (A-2's in general)
1930's Suits
Fountain Pens

Flat Foot Floey

Haha very cool.

I knew about beltback suits before but the many pictures drove my desire to new levels. I first read about the famous palm beach cloth here (Hello, Mario!) I still don't have a pb suit but it is on my imaginary wishlist. As well as shawl collar mackinaws, thanks to dinerman[huh]

flat-top

Back many years ago, members like Mudinyereye helped guide me in the ways of vintage and repro workwear which sent me into a shopping frenzy.
And I'll never forget that a Lounger named Burnsie was the first person to really start posting about chinstrap chambray workshirts, a term that has since become ubiquitous on the FL and in my closet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21