Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things You Broke As A Child (You wish now you hadn't)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaika

One Too Many
hm...my mom had one of the first Barbie dolls with the swim suit and everything, along with another brunette Barbie and a Skipper doll (I assume) from around the same time.

she gave them to me when I was five or six...and uh...I proceeded to give them "makeovers" and haircuts...as well as tattoos (I started young!! lol). i lost the clothing. i would switch heads between the blonde and brunette Barbies (why, i have no idea) until the rubber eventually cracked. the brunette never got her body back as my dog used it as a chew toy (same with Skipper's limbs).

later, when i was in high school, my mom asked me about those dolls and when i showed them to her, she was pretty upset about what i did to them. and she was upset with herself for giving them to a five year old! lol

i'm sure there are plenty more valuable things i've broken and just can't remember.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
For some reason I have allways had a fear of breaking something in my parents home so I was always so careful with everything. When I was 19 (almost a child) I think I had dropped someone off at Copenhagen central station and while I was inside the station someone had backed up into the drivers front door and there was a soft but kind of big dent. I got so sick and shivered all the way home to my parents but of course they were not angry at all - I think that is the one time something had happened and I felt so bad.

JEEP

Practically Family
A ton of vintage radios, turntables and cameras - and a few watches and typewriters as well :eusa_doh:

It still makes me feel bad thinking about it.

/Jakob

RIOT

Practically Family
I still feel terrible about it till this day when I think about it. Well, I broke the head off of my parents sacred Santo Niño back when I was about 9 trying to touch it's velvet robe. Luckily it was a clean break and none of the facial detail were destroyed or chipped. They had to have it sent out to be professionally reattached (head to body) and to this day still sits at an altar in my parents home.. which is now at a better reach for me.. :eek:

JG

New in Town
Didn't break it but I lost it.

I got a Gorgi die-cast metal model of the Beatles' Yellow Submarine when I was about 10 (1975). Wasn't even the huge Beatles fan that I later became at that point.

As I said, it was metal and, as you pushed it along, the periscopes spun around and you could press a button and John & Paul popped out of the front hatch and George & Ringo popped out of the back.

While writing this I did a quick google search. Here's what I'm talking about. Very Cool.

http://www.autographsmovieposters.com/Beatles_Yellow_Sub_Corgi.htm

I'd give al lot to have it sitting on my desk these days.

Jim

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
My dad's heart when I got engaged on my 18th birthday. Luckily I found out he cheated so I was engaged no more.

I was always SO careful as a child and neither my parents or I can remember I have broken anything.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smoking Monkey

Our dog chewed my smoking monkey made of plaster and sawdust or something and it was my fault for leaving so tempting an item out. I got it from the Variety Store and it was white, with little white cigarettes, and the monkey puffed smoke rings as I recall. You'd think I would've burned myself or the house but no. My dad was anti-smoking anyway so he was unsympathetic. lol

freebird

Practically Family
I didn't have the monkey, but I had one of those smoking figures, believe mine was a man in a hat, if I remember correctly. Think I still have it packed away somewhere.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
I didn't break them but I might as well have. My mother had these little tea saucers that my grandmother gave her years before. Anyways they were left on top of our vintage stereo for a few days and I was so lazy to put them away, so one day my cat was sleeping up there and stretched out his body pushing the plates off the stereo shattering to pieces.

Now for the stereo. My mother bought it when my sister and I were little. It's either from the late 30's or early 40's. It was in mint condition and for some diabolic reason my sister and I liked to push on the speaker ruining the fabric that covered it. Also two holes mysteriously appeared on the top of the stereo and it had got infested with mice when I was little. We still have it and I hope to have it restored someday :eek:

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots!

rockem-sockem-robots-game.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My mother had a beautiful play tea set made out of china. It had cups and saucers and a beautiful tea pot and everything. Unfortunately, after I finished playing with it one day, I was putting it back in the box and stuffed it in this little cubby hole in my closet. And then I turned my back and heard a large CRASH.

I was absolutely mortified. Almost everything except a few pieces were broken. I sobbed and sobbed. I felt so darn bad about it. My mom reassured me and told me it was ok - I was more upset about breaking it than my mom was!

I still, to this day, cringe when I think of it.

Geesie

Practically Family
My parents had a lot of antique stuff when I was growing up in the 80s/90s. They rarely went out and searched for antiques - it was almost all inherited or stuff they had from when they were young. So, a lot of stuff that sells at auctions and antique dealers these days bit the dust from sheer use.

Our daily-use toaster was this Manning-Bowman deco model which finally died about 6 years ago from being in constant use since its birth in the 1930s. The one on that site sold for $140. :eek:

We had a full set of 1950s Royal China Currier & Ives tableware. Almost all the plates are gone. Again, constant use over that many decades takes its toll.

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
I cant think of anything ive broken... Bu I did lose my dads lucky scuba diving knife during our trip to the Bahamas. But I SWEAR it wasn't my fault:p . The harness system is faulty, if you move your leg against the other(with pops the handle out of the rubber holder), then lift you leg up(slides out of holster) its gone.
We had to be swimming against the rock wall that goes down 1300 feet, didn't we. It had sentimental value, because he found it basically new, at the bottom of the ocean, of course, in the Bahamas, when he was my age.

I got back on the boat, and looked down and let out a long sigh of F***....
I kick myself still, it was a nice knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy