Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things You Learn as an Old Car Driver

HeyMoe

Practically Family
One thing I learned is that the piston included in modern rebuild kits is often just a fraction of a millimeter too long, which can lead to all sorts of issues with the partial covering of the relief port. When rebuilding a 37-41 Mopar master, *always* use a NOS brass piston, *not* the one enclosed in the rebuild kit. And when having any brake work done at all, *always* leave a written note for the mechanic *not* to tamper with the MC piston rod. They'll always be tempted to fiddle with it to "get a higher pedal" and they'll always screw it up.

Sounds like you were sitting on our shoulders when we were working on the dodge.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
6v lights on old cars often suffer because of decayed, corroded wiring. The solution is to use a relay as close to the headlights as possible and some fresh wiring. If you don't want to replace the front wiring harness and dimmer switch.

They also need aiming every couple of decades. And, you need to look past them at the road.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Vacuum wipers, on the other hand, make doing a vacuum test on the engine a cinch. Just pull off the hose from the wipers, shove on the hose from the tester, and away you go. You can also figure out real quick if your fuel mixture is too rich by pulling off the wiper hose -- if the idle speeds up, you need to lean it out.

Doesn't work as well with electric wipers.

The kids from work think my windshield wipers are "cute." I remind myself of that whenever I'm driving uphill in a rainstorm.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
6v lights on old cars often suffer because of decayed, corroded wiring. The solution is to use a relay as close to the headlights as possible and some fresh wiring. If you don't want to replace the front wiring harness and dimmer switch.

They also need aiming every couple of decades. And, you need to look past them at the road.

My headlights are ok, just not the same thing as my halogen headlights on my modern car. I just adjust my driving accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The kids from work think my windshield wipers are "cute." I remind myself of that whenever I'm driving uphill in a rainstorm.
Maybe so, but when you change gear, your wipers look like they are on amphetamines, and do they get rid of your fly collection, or what?

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Vacuum wipers can be improved by adding a reservoir and a 1 way valve. The reservoir can be as simple as a tomato juice can, in the 80s they were factory equipment on the more expensive Fords with vacuum headlights.

The ultimate cure is a double decker fuel pump, the upper story being a vacuum pump for the wipers. The last one I bought cost about $50 bucks, it was for a 59 Ford. This completely eliminates vacuum distress.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... The kids from work think my windshield wipers are "cute." I remind myself of that whenever I'm driving uphill in a rainstorm.

When I was in high school (early '70s), I drove a school bus. It was a '52 Dodge bus that had vacuum wipers. The wipers on that old bus had little levers on the inside so you could "help" the wipers along if needed. I used to let one of the younger children stand beside me while I drove and work the wipers as needed. They thought that was really something great. I bet that would go over really well today. :eusa_doh:

Years ago, I had a couple early '50s Chevys that I drove a lot. I loved the vacuum wipers on those cars. The "out of step" rhythmic beat was something I just loved to listen to. When it was pouring rain, and I started to head uphill, the engine vacuum would drop as you applied more throttle, the wipers would slow, or stop. I would watch the road through the raindrops for a couple seconds , as the wiper blade just sat there. Then I would pop my foot off the gas pedal for a second, which would shoot the engine vacuum way high. The wiper blade would take a really fast swipe or two before I would again press the pedal back to the floor to keep pulling the hill. The wiper blade would again slow to a stop. And the whole process would happen again.

For many years, I drove antique automobiles for pleasure. The past several years have been "difficult". I need to start driving the model Ts often again.
W2

Also, being fairly new in town, while reading older posts, I notice several references that would seem to indicate a few serious antique automobile people here. Most notably in this thread have been 1930artdeco referencing his model A, and vitanola with several mentions of model Ts, side curtains, and even a Paige seven passenger. I caught the comment about the little brass wire ring (for choking the engine when starting the car). I do miss my side curtains, and very much enjoyed driving my car that had them when I had it. I am always surprised to find someone that has (or had) a Paige. You didn't say what year or model it was, but I am sure it was larger than my little 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan. The 6-45 did not offer a seven passenger body. Someday, maybe some day, I can get mine running. It would be the first time for mine to run since before I was born.
W2

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Things you learn as an old car driver. I learned why suicide doors are so called. Last Sunday, my wife and I were off to a vintage car show, just a few miles into our journey, I managed to engage the door handle. Realising my mistake, I made a grab, almost on auto-pilot, for the rear of the door. Big mistake, suicide doors open from the front. The door flew open, leaving me somewhat exposed, looking at the road passing under me at about 40mph, no seat belt of course. It was one of those moments when you really don't need a laxative. The car & driver both survived, but the driver got some serious grief from the passenger. A mistake that will definitely not get forgotten.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Also, being fairly new in town, while reading older posts, I notice several references that would seem to indicate a few serious antique automobile people here. Most notably in this thread have been 1930artdeco referencing his model A, and vitanola with several mentions of model Ts, side curtains, and even a Paige seven passenger. I caught the comment about the little brass wire ring (for choking the engine when starting the car). I do miss my side curtains, and very much enjoyed driving my car that had them when I had it. I am always surprised to find someone that has (or had) a Paige. You didn't say what year or model it was, but I am sure it was larger than my little 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan. The 6-45 did not offer a seven passenger body. Someday, maybe some day, I can get mine running. It would be the first time for mine to run since before I was born.
W2

The Paige that I had back in college was a 1928 8-85. Used the same Lycoming straight 8 as the early Cord machines. The long intake manifold ment that either the middle cylinders ran rich and carboned up or cylinders #1 and #8 ran lean and burned their exhaust valves, so I fitted the thing with a dual Schebler carb setup. Improved the power, but the car could hardly pass a filling station. Mine was in very nice unrestored condition, with an apple green body with "invisible green" ( a green so dark that it was almost black) trim and fenders, and a straw stripe. Mine was fitted with the disc wheels.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
I don't own a vintage car (if I could, I'd have to go with a 1960 Rambler convertible, a 1950 Rambler, a 1951 Studebaker, a 1948 Hudson, or some 1960s Citroen 2CV; I've always preferred Post-War Independents, and would rather drive a 1984 AMC Eagle instead of my 2010 Honda Fit), but I have had the opportunities to drive and work on many. The most memorable have been the 1940s Chryslers; they all take off very slowly, but are very comfy, especially that 1948 Town and Country (back when they were actually designed for the Town AND Country, more or less). Oh yes, and Model "T"'s handle better than golf carts.

-Quetzal

"The Paige that I had back in college was a 1928 8-85. Used the same Lycoming straight 8 as the early Cord machines. The long intake manifold ment that either the middle cylinders ran rich and carboned up or cylinders #1 and #8 ran lean and burned their exhaust valves, so I fitted the thing with a dual Schebler carb setup. Improved the power, but the car could hardly pass a filling station. Mine was in very nice unrestored condition, with an apple green body with "invisible green" ( a green so dark that it was almost black) trim and fenders, and a straw stripe. Mine was fitted with the disc wheels."

Vitanola,
Paige had quite a history, and built very nice and reliable cars. They deserve to be better remembered than as just another of a couple hundred "also rans".
Your 8-85 is/was an incredible car, and only built for a short time. I know of one personally, and have seen photos of at least a half dozen restored survivors (I think at least three of them are in Australia). Was the radiator name badge on yours one of the earlier type with "Reg. U S Pat. Off" or did it say "Paige" "Graham Built"? I just get curious, because the Graham Brothers continued the 1927 models with only minor changes about half way through the 1928 model year. Yet I have only seen a couple of them in 45 years (all models).
W2

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"The Paige that I had back in college was a 1928 8-85. Used the same Lycoming straight 8 as the early Cord machines. The long intake manifold ment that either the middle cylinders ran rich and carboned up or cylinders #1 and #8 ran lean and burned their exhaust valves, so I fitted the thing with a dual Schebler carb setup. Improved the power, but the car could hardly pass a filling station. Mine was in very nice unrestored condition, with an apple green body with "invisible green" ( a green so dark that it was almost black) trim and fenders, and a straw stripe. Mine was fitted with the disc wheels."

Vitanola,
Paige had quite a history, and built very nice and reliable cars. They deserve to be better remembered than as just another of a couple hundred "also rans".
Your 8-85 is/was an incredible car, and only built for a short time. I know of one personally, and have seen photos of at least a half dozen restored survivors (I think at least three of them are in Australia). Was the radiator name badge on yours one of the earlier type with "Reg. U S Pat. Off" or did it say "Paige" "Graham Built"? I just get curious, because the Graham Brothers continued the 1927 models with only minor changes about half way through the 1928 model year. Yet I have only seen a couple of them in 45 years (all models).
W2

"Reg. US Pat. off."
The machine was rather early production for the model.

I was really impressed by the general quality of the car. it certainly gave GM a run for its money.
Some years ago I was looking at a '24 Jewett, Paige's less expensive companion car. It was also a beautifully built machine which appeared to offer both excellent value and eye appeal.

I guess I had better drift this thread back to on topic. One of the most important things I learned driving my antique cars (whether one of the several T Fords or the nickel era non-Fords I have had off and on), was to be self-reliant, and that even modern cars break down occasionally. I have lost count how many times I have "brought home" a modern car under its own power after a serious breakdown.
Some years ago, my then Chev Suburban blew out the water pump in THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! I rigged it to run without a few things like the water pump and the alternator, and the power steering. I eased it about twenty miles into a small town. Bought a rebuilt pump and changed it in the parking lot. Drove the sixty more miles home.
Then there was the time I blew out the radiator in my pickup work truck. Five miles to go to get off a seven mile long bridge. But I'll save that one for another day.
W2

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I guess I had better drift this thread back to on topic. One of the most important things I learned driving my antique cars (whether one of the several T Fords or the nickel era non-Fords I have had off and on), was to be self-reliant, and that even modern cars break down occasionally. I have lost count how many times I have "brought home" a modern car under its own power after a serious breakdown.
Have you ever had to use a lady's stocking as a temporary fan belt? This idea was something that I had read about but not really registered until our, quite newish VW, had the red stop light appear on the dash. A brief check around the engine showed the pulleys beltless.
My first attempt was useless, I had tied the stocking around the pulleys, this caused the stocking to slip rather than rotate. Realising that greater tension was required, I pre-tied the stocking slightly smaller than the fan belt, stretched it around the pulleys, and hey presto, it worked. Got us home without a costly call out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner