Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Thank you for all the nice comments.

In a nutshell, I love the coat.

We've had tons of snow the last few weeks, and local temps have hovered at or below freezing day and night, so I wear the coat all the time. I haven't worn it much when the snow is actually falling. It still feels somewhat stiff, but it's comfy, so it must still be breaking in. I will try to get more pics of me wearing it out and about, but I haven't had much time for pics of anything lately...

We have long winters in Utah that linger well into April, so I promise more "action" photos soon.

vintage68

Practically Family
Love the coat 1911 (and your moniker).

1. Is the coat their standard brown, or the "vintage" brown?

2. Did you order your usual jacket size or one size up for layering?

3. Does it fit true to size?

Also, may I ask when all was said and done, what was the total cost and wait time from order to arrival? I see the company is located in Scotland so I'm curious. Thanks!

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, like Vintage68 I would be interested if you went a size larger than normal. I realize they are custom made, but Aero uses their standard size patterns as a starting point and goes from there.

On mine, the 1911 has plenty of room in the left hand pocket; I assume yours is the same. Is the wool lining enough when the temps are at or just below freezing, or do you need a sweater under the jacket?

Really nice jacket. I too missed this the first time around. I'm glad the thread got revived. Please post some pics so we can see how it is breaking in. As Winston requested, please show us a shot with both arms outstretched and up, so we can see the fit and taper.

univibe88

One Too Many
vintage68 said:
Love the coat 1911 (and your moniker).

1. Is the coat their standard brown, or the "vintage" brown?

2. Did you order your usual jacket size or one size up for layering?

3. Does it fit true to size?

Also, may I ask when all was said and done, what was the total cost and wait time from order to arrival? I see the company is located in Scotland so I'm curious. Thanks!

Aero has a rep in the USA, Mark Moye. You should contact him at AeroLeatherUSA@aol.com and he can answer all these questions for you. He replies to emails very quickly and is very, very helpful.

icecold

One of the Regulars
I joint the call for action shots :eusa_clap
I'm also interested in the sizing.
This is a general concern that I have thinking about ordering one of the aero coats (i really want a barnstormer...)* - it seems that even the regular true sizes are a little too boxy, so perhaps sizing one size down gives a proper trim fit? This is actually a sizing question for everybody who has an aero barnstormer. Thank you very much.

*I am perfectly aware that I'll be wearing it for no more than 3 weeks here in south texas, but somehow this does not seem to matter... :eek: I'll just crank the AC to the max and will wear it indoors!!! :D

icecold

One of the Regulars
HoosierDaddy said:
....I just knew...that you were one of us....;)
What I lack in substantive knowledge, I'll compensate in insanity ;) .
And you sir personally share a big part of the blame for dragging me into this with your - as it turned out - warranted praise of the Aero 30's halfbelts, which I'm stubbornly wearing right now, though the weather outside allows short sleeves if one is so inclined (I'm not :eek: )

Twp

New in Town
The sizing

I would not order one size down these jackets are pretty stiff and you might be pretty uncomfortable and I have had mine for 2 years now I see no sign of loosening up:) twp

Twp

New in Town
Barnstormer

I almost forgot that Barnstormer looks swell I am glad there is a forum with other folks like me that love this stuff:) Twp

jack miranda

A-List Customer
1911:

An amazing coat, and, buckaroo, you were made to wear it. It is absolutely existential the coolness of the fit, and cut of that Barnstormer. It is the antidote to nihilism knowing such a coat exists. Thanks for sharing the pics.

kfung

New in Town
Barnstormer - with or without belt?

I tend to wear mine without the belt now, because it feels less 'tight', plus the leather on my buckle is worn through.

Was wondering what other barnstormer owners prefer?

matei

One Too Many
Aero lining - alpaca or otherwise for the Barnstormer?

Hi all,

I've been doing some research prior to ordering an Aero Barnstormer, and I can't quite decide on the lining.

I've heard that the alpaca lining insultes well, yet doesn't add a lot of bulk to the jacket, however I also read that it can wear out quickly.

Are the other linings that Aero offers comparable in warmth to the alpaca?

I'll be wearing the jacket in fairly cold weather, so I'm interested in something that keeps warm!

Also - can anyone here who has a Barnstormer comment on the standard fit? I usually layer a t-shirt and a jumper in the cold weather, so I'm curious to know if there is enough room to do so if I order my correct size.

Thanks!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
For what it's worth, a friend of mine has an original Aero Highwayman with the Rod Stewart tartan lining, which he bought back in the late-80s. It's warm and is still going strong with regular wear.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If you live in a cold climate, I would go with the alpaca lining for warmth. My Aero Highwayman is lined with cotton drill, which is supposed to be extremely durable. Since I live in Texas, a wool lining would be too hot for all but 6-8 weeks out of the year. However, I did order my 46 long Aero Highwayman large so that I can layer, if necessary ( my usual size is 44 long). Hope this helps.

matei

One Too Many
The alpaca sounds good... I'm just concerned that it will "wear", as I often have a heavy shoulder bag.

Peacoat

Bartender
The Alpaca will definitely "wear." It is not as durable as the other linings. Although I have had mine for two years with no obvious wear. Where I carry a Leatherman tool shows some minor, very minor, wear. I just went to the closet to see if it was noticeable. I had to really look for the spot where it is slightly worn. I would say another 10 to 15 years and it may have worn through. But the Leatherman is more abrasive than your shoulder will be. If it is a real concern to you, do as Creeping Past suggests and get the more durable wool lining.

matei

One Too Many
Thanks guys for the helpful responses.

I like the reputation of alpaca, but I have to admit that the Rod Stewart-esque tartan looks the business.

I've e-mailed Aero with some other questions, and as soon as they're back to me I'll be ordering that jacket.

I can't wait.

JanSolo

Practically Family
The wool blanket tartan linings are a good compromise between durability and warmth. If you like a somewhat muted tartan I can recommend "black watch" which looks nice.
Harris or Donegal Tweed are also quite warm and defintively more durable than Alpaca. A friend of mine even sent over a NOS Swiss Army blanket which is very heavy and incredibly dense, warm, and durable but it ultimately makes the jacket quite bulky and very heavy.
Best thing is ask Will for all options available. He even agreed to put the olive B-10 gabardine outer shell as a lining in my next jacket I have on order. It's thick cotton but with a dense, smooth sateen surface which should provide the durability of cotton drill and the ease of wear of a synthetic lining...

Choices, choices....

Jan

matei

One Too Many
Amanda was kind enough to send me over several pics of the linings they have available, I'll mull it over this evening and make my choice.

My only other big decision is now the colour... and the sizing!

I'm torn between the Cordovan and Brown, and I think I'm inclined towards the latter.

Regarding sizing... I've been wearing out the search function doing my research on other Lounger's experiences with sizing. I wear a 44 suit jacket, yet I have a Wested "Indy" that is a 46 - and it fits like the proverbial glove.

Decisions, decisions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo