Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

this is a question for the men

JimWagner

Practically Family
I'm playing trombone in a speakeasy jazz orchestra, barely making ends meet, waiting for prohibition to be repealed next year.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm working at the Chicago Tribune downtown, no air conditioning, metal fan on the desk and an ashtray. I read news in the Des Moines Register and have a smoke while I take the transit line to work each morning. I'm usually dressed in a gray, brown or navy 3pc with the same gray Dobbs, but I'll wear some decent two piece suits in the summer to keep down the heat.

I'll likely skip lunch most days, and substitute more coffee and cigarettes, but if I'm getting a real craving, I'll run down and pick up a sandwich from one of the many diners. After work, I'll hit the transit again and make my way back home to a little house I'd picked up after quite a bit of saving. I'll stroll in, the missus will call out, "That you, David?" and I'll say, "Hey darlin', I'm home," toss my hat onto the rack and hang up my jacket. I'll sit down in my comfy chair, light my pipe and skim over the afternoon paper just before dinner.

Now THAT would be something.

I'd love to be a successful designer, drawing up everything from radios and other consumer appliances to automobiles. Wearing fine suits and driving around in my Cadillac car. Yup, sounds like the life. A nice house in a nice neighborhood, a pretty red-headed wife, 4 great children. Sounds like a good life to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred