Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've listened to quite a few of Orson's Lear radio shows. His commentary was sometimes very good and sometimes I wondered what he had taken shortly before he sat down at the microphone.

Even more peculiar are his "Orson Welles' Almanac" shows for Socony -- he goes from yukking it up with Hollywood guest stars a la every radio comedian who ever lived, to mindreading tricks, to dramatized readings of Thomas Paine, Shakespeare, or the Bible without breaking a sweat. The phrase "something for everyone" does not suitably describe this program.

3fingers

One Too Many
I will have to see if I can find some of the Almanac shows to listen to. Sounds like it will be interesting or entertaining or something.

Boy Wonder.

Continuing in the dramatic vein, Erskine Caldwell or Lillian Hellman?

Hellman - "The Children's Hour" and the two fantastic movies based on it gave her the nod for me (plus, I actually was familiar with the works of both parts of one of your "this or that -" which rarely happens).

"The Human Comedy" '43 or "Ithaca" '15 (both movies based on William Saroyan's novel "The Human Comedy")

3fingers

One Too Many
Even more peculiar are his "Orson Welles' Almanac" shows for Socony -- he goes from yukking it up with Hollywood guest stars a la every radio comedian who ever lived, to mindreading tricks, to dramatized readings of Thomas Paine, Shakespeare, or the Bible without breaking a sweat. The phrase "something for everyone" does not suitably describe this program.
I've gotten through most of the Almanac episodes and I must admit, I don't think I've heard anything else like it. Variety show indeed.

Hellman - "The Children's Hour" and the two fantastic movies based on it gave her the nod for me (plus, I actually was familiar with the works of both parts of one of your "this or that -" which rarely happens).

"The Human Comedy" '43 or "Ithaca" '15 (both movies based on William Saroyan's novel "The Human Comedy")
The Human Comedy for me. No comparison. I always enjoy Rooney. I can't say the same for Meg Ryan. That said, Ithaca is probably closer to the novel in actuality, but I enjoyed the original much more. Ithaca dragged. It wasnt painful to watch, but I got bored.

International Scout or Ford Bronco?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Human Comedy for me. No comparison. I always enjoy Rooney. I can't say the same for Meg Ryan. That said, Ithaca is probably closer to the novel in actuality, but I enjoyed the original much more. Ithaca dragged. It wasnt painful to watch, but I got bored.

International Scout or Ford Bronco?

Agreed completely - "Human Comedy" is a good solid movie, "Ithaca" isn't. My comments from when I first saw "Ithaca:"

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ovie-you-watched.20830/page-1125#post-2180261

Scout - had a cooler, not-part-of-the-big-three vibe back when I was in high school (and dinosaurs roamed the earth).

Staying with the '70s, Ken Stabler or Terry Bradshaw (judging when they were in their prime)?

Agreed completely - "Human Comedy" is a good solid movie, "Ithaca" isn't. My comments from when I first saw "Ithaca:"

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ovie-you-watched.20830/page-1125#post-2180261

Scout - had a cooler, not-part-of-the-big-three vibe back when I was in high school (and dinosaurs roamed the earth).

Staying with the '70s, Ken Stabler or Terry Bradshaw (judging when they were in their prime)?
Bradshaw. Always preferred the Steelers over the Raiders. Must be an East Coast thing. :D

70s theme continued...

Starsky and Hutch or The Rockford Files?

Bradshaw. Always preferred the Steelers over the Raiders. Must be an East Coast thing. :D

70s theme continued...

Starsky and Hutch or The Rockford Files?

Rockford - Garner is timeless cool versus the fun-but-dated feel of S&H.

And staying with '70s detectives:

"Cannon" or "Mannix?"

Rockford - Garner is timeless cool versus the fun-but-dated feel of S&H.

And staying with '70s detectives:

"Cannon" or "Mannix?"
Totally agree on Garner. I loved that show.

I'm going with Conrad's Cannon. I think Mannix was more liked back then, but I always liked Conrad's heft as part of the role.

General Mills cereals:
Fruit Brute or Boo Berry?

Totally agree on Garner. I loved that show.

I'm going with Conrad's Cannon. I think Mannix was more liked back then, but I always liked Conrad's heft as part of the role.

General Mills cereals:

I agree completely - Cannon's not-cut-from-the-same-squared-jawed-thick-maned-cloth was a big part of his appeal. Plus he oozed integrity.

Despite my being a serial cereal eater (tee-hee), I have not tried either of those, so

General Mills cereals:

I agree completely - Cannon's not-cut-from-the-same-squared-jawed-thick-maned-cloth was a big part of his appeal. Plus he oozed integrity.

Despite my being a serial cereal eater (tee-hee), I have not tried either of those, so

General Mills cereals:
For shame. I am disappointed. [emoji14]

Boo Berry. Its super delicious. The faux blueberry flavor hits the spot.

Fruit Brutes faux cherry flavor is reminiscent of a Robitussin and milk concoction. Steer clear.

Corned beef or pastrami?

For shame. I am disappointed. [emoji14]

Boo Berry. Its super delicious. The faux blueberry flavor hits the spot.

Fruit Brutes faux cherry flavor is reminiscent of a Robitussin and milk concoction. Steer clear.

Corned beef or pastrami?

I am ashamed as I have eaten a lot of cereals in my life - and the cheesier / sugary-er the better, but for some reason, those never hit the radar. And I love the fake blueberry taste of Blueberry Frosted Mini Wheats (had them yesterday).

pastrami - more of a bacon like flavor.

Frosted Flakes or Frosted Mini Wheats (same first name, very different cereals)?

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I am ashamed as I have eaten a lot of cereals in my life - and the cheesier / sugary-er the better, but for some reason, those never hit the radar. And I love the fake blueberry taste of Blueberry Frosted Mini Wheats (had them yesterday).

pastrami - more of a bacon like flavor.

Frosted Flakes or Frosted Mini Wheats (same first name, very different cereals)?
If I must choose, Frosted Flakes.

Shredded Wheat biscuits or spoon sized?

If I must choose, Frosted Flakes.

Shredded Wheat biscuits or spoon sized?

Spoon-sized, otherwise I'm either breaking it down in the bowl or it looks like I'm trying to eat a candy bar whole.

When choosing what to read next:
(1) Read extensive reviews of the book first (to have a sense if it will work for you) or (2) try to go in "blind" or with only a little information so that the book is a surprise to you?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I usually read the reviews first. I hate starting a book and realizing halfway in that I hate it. Sometimes this isn't easy, given the age of many of the books I read, but that's why I grab up 1930s literary/book review magazines when I can find them.

Keep a book after you've read it or sell/give it away?

I usually read the reviews first. I hate starting a book and realizing halfway in that I hate it. Sometimes this isn't easy, given the age of many of the books I read, but that's why I grab up 1930s literary/book review magazines when I can find them.

Keep a book after you've read it or sell/give it away?

We are keepers as we'll reread and we like being able to see what we've read. We haven't "decorated -" put up pictures or bought other decorative items - instead, we have a lot of bookshelves stuffed with books - that's how we've "decorated." Since we also like to gift books that we think people will enjoy, we'll end up buying the same book, occasionally, several times, but are okay with that as, hopefully, that helps an author we really like.

Take a book you're all but certain you'll love to read on a plane trip with all the distractions that involves - but a great way to pass time in a disgusting and jam-packed tube of germs - or save it to read pleasantly in your home?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider