Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Led variously by Rosario Bourdon, Nat Shilkret and Leonard Joy among others, Victor had, by far, the finest studio orchestra to back their artists. Leroy Shields who went on to compose much of the music for Laurel & Hardy, the Our Gang and other Hal Roach comedies was also a musical director for Victor.

Ah yes. But Columbia had Whiteman (after 1928) Ben Selvin leading its excellent studio orchestra, the English Columia symphonic catalog, and those lovely, silent surfaces! " I could be happy wi' either, 'twer t'other dear charmer away!"

Vitaphone or Photophone?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Randolph Sutton -- Put Your Worries Through The Mangle

[video=youtube;gkeBgUwVos0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkeBgUwVos0[/video]

Mother, Mother, Mother bring the washing in
It's going on to rain
Let's sit round the kitchen bar
And sing this old refrain

Put your worries through the mangle
Like Mother does on washing day
When you're in an awful tangle
Just wash the blues away
Though the sun is shining through the window pane
When Mother hangs the washing out it always rains

Father has his dinner off the mantle shelf
On Mother's washing day
Does he worry? Not at all
You'll only hear him say

When you're in an awful tangle
Just wash the blues away
Though the sun is shining through the window pane
When Mother hangs the washing out it always rains
So put your worries through the mangle

In Great Britain the word "Mangle" refers to the device that we here in the 'states would generally call a "Wringer". American household wringers were lighter and smaller than their English counterparts, usually being fashioned of wood with relatively small India-rubber rollers, of perhaps two inches in diameter and twelve or at most fourteen inches in length. British and Continental mangles were usually rather substantial iron contraptions, with four or five inch diameter steel rollers.

Here in the USA ther term "Mangle" was generally reserved for an ironing machine, which consisted of a padded roller of six or seven inches in diameter which is rotated by an electric motor. Against this rotating roll is p
placed a heated steel shoe. A mangle or Ironer makes, as Miss Maine pointed out, the ironing of flat-work such as sheets, towels and table linens a breeze, but it also allows one to make short work of shirts dresses and trousers, which complicated pieces only require touching up with a conventional iron around the yokes, collars and cuffs.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Neither Moran nor Mack was a straight man. Both sagged in the middle. (Why bring that up?)

Woolsey. An exceptional eccentric dancer, and any actor who can kiss the leading lady without taking his cigar out of his mouth is worthy of respect.

Clark or McCullough?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
It was too hard of a choice for me :eek:

Jimmy or Tommy Dorsey?

Dorsey Brothers :p

While both had wonderful orchestras after they went their separate ways, and I love Edythe Wright, something about the Helen O'Connell & Bob Eberly vocal team forces me to choose JD.

I am inclined to prefer pre-1934 music, and so the Dorsey Brothers stuff is more my style.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Woolsey. An exceptional eccentric dancer, and any actor who can kiss the leading lady without taking his cigar out of his mouth is worthy of respect.

Bonus: Robert Woolsey's widow, an ex-Broadway showgirl, made millions from betting on the stock market -- mostly from her bedroom telephone.

(My friend sold this woman's estate. Ended up with Robert Woolsey's home bar.)

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Neither Moran nor Mack was a straight man. Both sagged in the middle. (Why bring that up?)

Clark or McCullough?

Bobby Clark.

I'm a simple man, and find grease painted "Roydo" glasses to be inherently funny.

Irving or Jack Kaufman?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy