Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Stuff Isn't Rare - Why So Expensive?

Phil

A-List Customer
My buisness teacher had an answer for us for this very question.

"The reason that some s*** costs so much is because the makers know that people will eventually have to buy it."

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Ball Canning Jars were made in the millions, but today fetch a pretty good price for the old ones. There came a time for many families that home canning was thought of as being out moded and those lovely jars went by the box and bag full to the dump. Many items were also disposed of with frightening regularity. As the generation of those that went through the Great Depression dies off, the next generations tend to be in a more disoposable mode and things get thrown out without any thought of value.

If I were to guess, i'd say those that tend to hold on stuff are about one in five or six of the general population. Also in many areas people move, a lot. In moving households, and disposing of stuff, basically every 7 moves is equal to a fire. Stuff is dumped or lost or broken and tossed out.

Time to canvas your neighbor hood and list what all you are interested in to your neighbors.

Sounds like a logical over all assessment of things. We have become increasingly prone to just throw things away especially as goods have been made so much more cheaply in recent years. I have even heard speculation that one day in the distant future our land fills will be mined for all the raw materials we have been disposing of all these years.

I have heard that too. There are reports of people excavating land fills and finding40 y. o. newspapers in the same condition they were in when thrown out. If it were posible, I'd like to see that items of similar nature collect together, and find a pocket of fountain pens.

What about coming up with scientific names for the time layers, the Dinosaurs got Jurasic.....

How about "The Age of Linoleum" The Age of Tin Foil, The Bakelite Period, and so on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot