Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thorogood Boerum Hill Horsehide Boots from Highkickz

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd been looking at the Epaulet 685 boots online for awhile when I noticed these less well known boots that are also produced by Thorogood being sold by a company called Highkickz. While checking them out I noticed that they had a store that is on the way home from where I work so I decided to check the boots out. After trying them I went ahead and purchased them. The main differences that I see on this boot as compared to the Epaulet boot is the sole is Neoprene Cord instead of Neoprene Cork and there are two speed strap things instead of lace holes going all of the way up.
The total cost was $200 and I was able to try them on which was a big plus. I wear a size 10 in Dr. Martens and a size 9.5W in Allen Edmonds and for this boot a size 9.5 was the best fitting (they only come in D widths).

The last two photos show the color most accurately as they are taken without the flash.
Photos:
IMG_9339.JPG

IMG_9340.JPG

IMG_9342.JPG

IMG_9343.JPG

IMG_9344.JPG

IMG_9345.JPG

IMG_9346.JPG

IMG_9347.JPG

IMG_9348.JPG

IMG_9349.JPG

buler

I'll Lock Up
Great boots. I'm sure you'll love them. I wear my Epaulet Thorogood's exclusively. Haven't worn any of my Red Wings since I got them.

B

casechopper

Do you rotate them out with something else? From everything I've heard it's not good to wear any leather shoe without giving it a day or two between wears.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Do you rotate them out with something else? From everything I've heard it's not good to wear any leather shoe without giving it a day or two between wears.

I have 2 pair. So I rotate them every day. I still wear nike's once in a while, but these boots probably get 75%+ of my days. Holding up great.

B

casechopper

An interesting thing is happening to the right boot. It appears the lighter colored material is separating from the sole. Will the stitching hold the sole on securely if the glue continues to fail between these two parts?
Below are a couple photos of what's happening.

Click on the photos to see larger versions with more detail.

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great boots. Sometimes the welt separates from the sole. This is just a cosmetic issue, as the boots are glued AND stitched. Take a nail file or a thin blade and open the gap even wider. (Don't be afraid...it won't do any damage). Use superglue and firmly press sole and welt back together. Make sure to wipe off any excess.
Note on glue: It's important to pick a kind of glue that remains flexible even after being fully dry. Some superglues have that property. Some even come in a syringe which is even better. Buy a quality brand.

Remember: Cobblers cement would be best but those things are heat activated and require time, heat and pressure to fully set. Flexible superglue will do the job and it last forever.

One last note on your jeans: Have you ever considered buying a pair of dry selvedge jeans? The would look much better with these boots. Also I would go at least 2 inches longer than what your actual inseam is to create a nice turn-up cuff.

Good luck with your cool boots.

casechopper

Thanks JanSolo, I'll give that a try when I can pick up some super glue. Do you think Shoe Goop might work well for this? If I were to just leave them and not glue would there be any negative consequences to this? The openings do appear to be growing over time.

For the jeans these are actually my first pair of unwashed denim. They're cheap 13mwz ridgid Wranglers. They've shrunk up a bit so the next pair I'll probably buy a couple of inches longer on the inseam. Selvedge denim is something I'm having a hard time justifying as the cosmetic benefit of that little bit of fabric just doesn't seem worth the extra cost. I like unwashed denim and currently have some 2 pairs of Rustlers, these Wranglers and a pair of Dickies. All of these have been less than $25/pair. Of the three I prefer these Wranglers as they seem to be the best fit and construction. Is there really that much of a benefit with selvedge over non selvedge considering the price differential?

Last edited:

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
I have a similar pair in black HH and they are much more comfortable (for me) than RW Iron Rangers. It’s funny that epaulet sells basically the exact same boot for so much more. They fit true to size and were comfortable right out of the box. I find myself wearing them more and more these days.

Oh, picked mine up from highkickx on ebay and it was a great transaction with them. Free shipping and they arrived in about a week. I’m debating ordering the brown pair and selling the brown Iron Rangers I have.

Anyone want to work a deal on a pair of brown, 11D iron rangers in gently used condition?

casechopper

Epaulet's in NYC which is probably why they charge so much more. Their overhead costs are probably multiple times higher than Highkickz which is out here in northern NJ.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

If you use Shoe Goo or something similar you will need to clamp the welt for a prolongend period of time as this stuff takes its time to fully dry.
As I said before this will work best:
http://www.supergluecorp.com/super-glue/-original-super-glue/leather-wood-super-glue

Your boot won't fall apart because of the gap between welt and sole but you probably still want to look after that. In wet climates water might get between both parts and cause the welt to shrink slightly or become brittle.
My suggestion: Use a kitchen knife and make sure you open up all areas were the welt is not properly glued to the sole. Then use that leather superglue or some similar instant adhesive and make sure you use some force when you press the welt back in place. Be careful with your fingers! This stuff really sticks!! Wipe off all excess and let it fully dry. After that use some quality leather conditioner (Pecards, Elephant leather preserver) and work it into the welt ( old toothbrush does the trick). Then use a hairdryer and fully melt the residue in.

Last edited:

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting images. Been eyeing these up but never pulled the trigger.

Great looking boots!

Clint

casechopper

Thanks for the info JanSolo,
I'll try not to wear them in wet weather until I can pick some superglue up.

cbrunt,
These boots really are nice. I'd definitely recommend them, even with the problem I've had with the one boot.

casechopper

A year and a couple months later. Worn about 3-4 times a week. Treated with Obenaufs LP every few months. The heel-sole on these is remarkably durable.
IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

D

Deleted member 16736

Nice. I have the Epaulet version with the cork sole. I noticed very slight separation between sole and midsole, but left it alone. Obenauf's looks great on this leather. I'll have to pick up some, though I think once every 3-4 months is a bit excessive IMO. Once a year is probably sufficient, but I can't argue with the results. I wear mine with yellow-brown round laces from Walmart. I considered getting burgundy laces like you have, too. Nice look.

Just saw this thread. Those are some really nice boots Casehopper. I like the sole on them a lot. I have a similar style Redwing but they have that white wedge sole, which doesn't suck, but I like yours much better. They look leather lined in the first pics, does that go all the way in?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the tip. They still have my size for now, I hope they still do after Christmas. I can't really spend any on myself right now, you can relate I'm sure.

casechopper

Thanks for the tip. They still have my size for now, I hope they still do after Christmas. I can't really spend any on myself right now, you can relate I'm sure.

Definitely understand. If you get a chance though, they are definitely cheap for what they are. The horsehide is very durable and ages nicely compared to all of the cowhide boots/shoes I've had.

I ordered these last Summer, but the order got cancelled because they said the last pair in my size was defective... now Amazon won't let me pick a size...hmmm a real bummer, they look great

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy