Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those New Yorkers!!!

belmondo

New in Town
I love Thom Browne, I'd buy his stuff if I could afford it. This guy's lapels and shoulders look right for a Thom suit, but the button stance is wrong, which leads me to believe it may be a vintage or thrifted suit made to look like a Thom suit. I know most of TB's 3-buttons are a 3/2 roll, and this looks like a 3/2 as well. The beat up brogues (which i love) are definitely a TB look. I think it's very 50s and 60s influenced, even if Thom himself denies this. And, worn perhaps to a lesser extreme it would look good on more people. I like no-break pants but that is too high, even for me.

Also agreed he looks like the guy from Law and Order

belmondo

New in Town
Feraud said:
I see a difference between what is put on the runway and what makes it to the stores and on the backs of men.
This Thom Brown look is a blessing in disguise for those who like slim cut suits. The trickle down effect has already begun as designers cut their suit slimmer. Not to mention the thin ties and slim cut shirts to accompany the suits.
Break out your narrow brim hats, it is going to be a great couple of seasons.

Could not agree more.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I don't mind the suit at all. IF you like the sixties look it is very cool, and in that color, very rare.

I can even handle the jacket length as he is obviously atall. But the sleeves and pants hem just look dumb. Not only is it not aesthetically pleasing, but also, the obvious conclusiion is not cutting edge, but suit too short for him. Never try a look where people will not assume you are avante garde, they will just assume you grew a lot oalst summer or have very bad taste in hemming.

Besides that, if you are going to wear short pants, they look much better pegged. Wide cuffs flapping in the breeze don't really look good.

I suspect the suit is a vintage one that is way too short for him.

gordon

New in Town
Those New Yorkers!!! ....you have to love them :)

I saw Thom Browne and his ...I assume significant other at a party and they both looked amazing. He's a testament to the power of tailoring. When a suit fits you, it just looks "right". The guy at the top of this thread just looks wrong.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Everything I once knew about suits has been proven wrong.

I must be losing my mind. I thought the pants were suppossed to reach the shoes?!? But clearly that's wrong, as illlustrated...oh man, I'M LOSING IT!!!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
If Thom Browne's sense of aesthetics is right, I WANT to be wrong.

I suspect Mr. Browne is laughing up his sleeve at the rash of hipsters buying-ill fitting suits, knowing that by simply having one day tried on a suit far to small for him and suddenly having an epiphany about what he'd do next, he's hit on a great 'cutting edge purely because it's glaringly different and ironic' trend.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
If Thom Browne's sense of aesthetics is right, I WANT to be wrong.

I suspect Mr. Browne is laughing up his sleeve at the rash of hipsters buying-ill fitting suits, knowing that by simply having one day tried on a suit far to small for him and suddenly having an epiphany about what he'd do next, he's hit on a great 'cutting edge purely because it's glaringly different and ironic' trend.

Amen, Brother!

belmondo

New in Town
Here's a guy wearing Thom Browne that looks absolutely ace
bvmh.jpg

and another
ThomBrowne2.jpg

and another
Derrick-Miller.jpg

and two more.
GQTH.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Trim, not tight.

I agree with the pretty lady on the book's cover, he looks good. ^
The wrinkles on the Richard Belzer-lookalike's suit tell me it doesn't fit, no matter how the the cut is supposed to be.
If the suit fit, it might be okay, but he needs to wear socks.
The latest ladies' fad indicate the shrunken look is in. It doesn't look good. Short and slim, fine. Shrunken and skimpy, no.

belmondo

New in Town
Alan Eardley said:
Just my opinion, but I think this is what a trim suit should look like...

ABC20of20Mens20Fashion.jpg

Alan

Agreed. However, the guy in the Hardy Aimes photo has pants that are high by todays mainstream standards. The American look around the same period (which influenced the English style, early Mods wore Ivy League and shopped at the Ivy Shop) might have had turn-ups on the trousers.

Thom is merely riffing on this style.
Myself, I tend toward the more direct late 50s early 60s look.

Jovan

Suspended
Since I've said the same thing many times here, I'm just going to stay out of the discussion (which has happened for the 49038494323443rd time here already) this time.

Jovan

Suspended
Referring to the "Thom Browne is/isn't wrong!" discussion that happens each and every time someone even mentions his name in passing, Jerekson. I suspect I redeem myself somewhat here for wearing my suits correctly and liking things from the '30s, though.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Oh, I thought you were referring to the 3+ buttons discussion :p

Honestly I would take a safari suit with the shorts over one of these Brownes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy