Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Aero Premier Highwayman sizing?

Tomek61

New in Town
I'm stressing over buying a new Aero jacket and I'm torn between the Original Hercules and the Premier (slimmed-down) Highwayman.

I already have a standard HWM in size 44 that I bought quite a while ago and having slimmed down a fair bit, it's really now too big generally, especially in the body. Do you think that the slimmed-down Premier version might solve the "bagginess" problem but without being toooo slim - AKA a 1930/50 HB which really wouldn't do for me? I also wonder if the PHWM might be slightly narrower across the shoulders than the standard? - my 44 standard HWM is now about an inch and a bit too wide across the shoulders for me, so if a 44 PHWM was a bit narrower across the shoulders and less "baggy", that may be the ideal solution.

Also (and sorry to bombard with questions), do you think that the fit of the OHercules would be similar to the HBs or slightly more forgiving? I really like the look of the OH on the Aero website and from other pictures I've found on the internet and it doesn't look quite as slim as the HBs to me, but that could just be the pictures. Would you agree with that, or do you think that the OH is just as slim as the HBs in reality?

Any thoughts/comments/advice most welcome.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I normally wear a size 42 (long) in Aero's Sheene and 1930's Half Belt but would probably need a size 40 (long) HWM as an earlier size 42 was too big for me. When I tried on a friend's Premier HWM that was a size 42 (long), I found it was too tight in the chest and shoulders. My conclusion: Since you are in the UK, ask Aero directly for their input regarding sizing. Having said all of that, I must admit I am much intrigued by the Original Hercules but also liked the Premier HWM in Seal Vicenza HH I tried on if it had fit me.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Take a look at the Size 40 Premier Fit Highwayman ad that just went up in Classified. I put a note in there about my standard fit vs that one which both are tagged a "40."

Jason King

New in Town
If considering your purchase through Thurston Bros., then I would consider sending all new measurements in to Carrie at their customer service and let her take it from there. Trying a fit jacket through them might be the best way to go. I would wager that the original Hercules would be similar to the 1950 HB (same block?). Just some thoughts. Good luck on your purchase!

UPDATE: Just read that you're in the UK, so I guess you'd probably purchase direct. I think an email exchange with them might still be a good idea.

That original Hercules has been bouncing around in my head quite wildly the last couple days...but I've sworn off anymore jackets... after the JL CXL remake.

Back to the subject at hand. A member wichilito?? Maybe posted up his premier hwymn and it was probably the nicest one I've seen. You could pick thru the threads and find his jacket and PM him for specs. He friggn nailed it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That original Hercules has been bouncing around in my head quite wildly the last couple days...

The plain, understated look of the Original Hercules has always made it extremely appealing to me as a cold weather jacket with corduroy body shell lining. The one change I might make would be to go with cotton drill sleeve lining rather than moleskin for maybe greater ease of use, but maybe not if I lived in the UK (or Chicago). I think though comparing the Original Hercules with the Premier HWM would be like comparing apples and oranges as the two are so different in utility, although the two don't look all that different side by side...

895550bdf385793_origherc-500.jpg 278545ca132cac7f_PremHigh front-500.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Jason King - Welcome to FL! and yes, I've found this to be exactly the truth! Enjoy and may you acquire many more jackets as a result of joing this forum... :)

Tomek61

New in Town
Thanks for the comments. I do have a couple of questions in with Aero already. In the meantime, I looked at the ad placed by AeroFan in classified and I was surprised by the difference in shoulder width between the HWM and the PHWM. That suggests that the PHWM is significantly narrower to me.

I wonder if the premier patterns are all similar in this respect. In other words, would a premier HWM in size 44 have the same shoulder width as say a premier 1920s work coat? I also own a work coat in 44 which is a great fit for me as opposed to my standard 44 HWM which is quite a bit too big these days. If this is right, it would suggest that a 44 PHWM might be the way to go.

As for the OH, Aero previously told me that this sits between a work coat and a standard HWM so I think that maybe Jason is right that it could be similar to the 50s HB.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Having taken ownership of a standard HWM recently, it certainly is a boxy, wider shape. I'm still getting used to it. It's a 36 but I'm so used to the close fit of my LHB that it feels quite loose.

Tomek61

New in Town
Just in case anyone's interested, I spoke to Aero on the phone today and they confirmed as follows:
  1. The PHWM is slimmer than the work coat and so you would need to upsize to get the same shoulder width in the PHWM as the work coat. In other words, even though the work coat is slim, the PHWM is a *significantly* slimmed down version of the standard HWM.
  2. The shoulder width on the OH would be about the same as the work coat in the same size.
So, I've ordered the OH in the same size as my work coat. Just need to hang around now for a couple of months for it to arrive! thanks for all the comments and advice.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I am confused re. the relative dimensions/fit of Aero's "premium" styles vs. the regular. I am always on the lookout for the most tapered (largest shoulder to waist drop) jacket in a particular style.

Are the premium fitting jackets more tapered (relatively) from upper torso to waist or just slimmer all over for the skinny guys? Just wondering if going up a size in a premium fit has any benefit for the truly athletic (not skinny) physique?

willyto

One Too Many
I've tried both a 40 Highwayman and a 40 Premier Highwayman and the latter is a lot more snug. I would say actually that the Highwayman is probably too boxy for it's size. I like a trim fit on leather jackets so I prefer the premier.

Tomek61

New in Town
Well I'm no expert as you can see from the questions I've been asking here, but I'd say that logically the PHWM would scale in proportion. In other words, whatever the ratio of shoulders to waist/body is will remain the same regardless of size. It looks to me from the pictures that the PHWM is just slimmer all over. I stand to be corrected of course.

BugAss

New in Town
I have a 38'' Board Racer which fits like a glove and I'm trying to decide whether I should choose 38" or 40" for the Premier Highwayman... I'm leaning towards 38" again because I prefer slim fits in jackets. But I don't know the size difference between these two jackets... Are they the same?
Any opinions here too?
(Sry for hijaking...)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have a 38'' Board Racer which fits like a glove and I'm trying to decide whether I should choose 38" or 40" for the Premier Highwayman... I'm leaning towards 38" again because I prefer slim fits in jackets. But I don't know the size difference between these two jackets... Are they the same?
Any opinions here too?
(Sry for hijaking...)
Recommend you email Holly or Denny at Aero for clarification. BTW welcome to the Forum.
holly@aeroleatherclothing.com
denny@aeroleatherclothing.com

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Aero Premier range from the measurements I have seen are pretty tiny. I generally wear a 42 (although measurements vary) but it looks like I would need a 44 or larger to fit into one of these. I have seen a number of Premier 42's on Aero's site and their chest and shoulders are narrow. A 42 Premier half-belt there now has 17.75 inch shoulders! I need 18.5 to 19 inches.

BugAss

New in Town
The Aero Premier range from the measurements I have seen are pretty tiny. I generally wear a 42 (although measurements vary) but it looks like I would need a 44 or larger to fit into one of these. I have seen a number of Premier 42's on Aero's site and their chest and shoulders are narrow. A 42 Premier half-belt there now has 17.75 inch shoulders! I need 18.5 to 19 inches.
My BR 38" has 17" shoulders. I can't find a 38" Premier HWM to compare the measurements though. If it's less than 17", I'm going to have to size up to 40".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR