Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Akubra Federation IV Deluxe?

macfly

Familiar Face
Hey all. just wondering if anyone has any experience/pics of the new fed iv deluxe. Dumbjaw has a nice recent thread on his carbon fed iv standard but i was interested in seeing if anyone has the deluxe. i recently jumped back into my hat love and bought an akubra coolabah which is amazing. so i couldnt help myself and decided to get a new grey dress hat (borsalino alessandra ended up being a bit too small so just sits on the shelf). the new fed iv deluxe in moonstone is on its way and should arrive in a week. totally psyched.
any comments to help me live vicariously during the wait would be much appreciated!

m.jpg
[/IMG]

MattJH

One Too Many
Isn't the Deluxe Federation IV made from the same Heritage-grade felt as the Deluxe Federation III? If so, then all of the old Federation Standard vs. Deluxe threads would contain relevant information, the only difference being the dimensions of the hat it's referring to.

macfly

Familiar Face
any pics of your new fed iv? what are your thoughts on it? can you give an idea of the quality/hand?

Jerekson

One Too Many
I've always been a bit of a minimalist when it comes to Akubra; in my eyes, ANY Akubra is a good Akubra.

However, I was lucky enough to have a Deluxe model given to me for my birthday, so I obviously wasn't going to complain...
The only thing I've got to compare it to is a Fed III and a Squatter, but I've noticed that the felt is much more pliable and dense. It still feels like an Akubra's felt though - to the extent that I wouldn't say it's worth spending extra money.
The Deluxe is a fraction more luxurious though. You'll love it.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hello McFly, and welcome to the lounge! Hope you like it here - I think you will.

If you do some searches on this site using "Federation" or "Federation IV" as keywords, you'll find a wealth of information. Some have fairly recent postings.

My 2 cents differs from several others, including those who have more hat experience, but I think the Deluxe is definitely worth the cost differential. It starts out stiff, but after really beating it up (deliberately) for a while to soften it, I found the felt to be comparable to a vintage Stetson Open Road 25 that I have. Not super buttery soft like the finest dress hats; an outdoor felt but noticeably softer than I've been able to reach with the Imperial grade. YMMV. But you really can't go either way. Good luck!

- Bill

macfly

Familiar Face
Thanks Bill,
i have done the searches and looked through them all. I think in my excitement i was just hoping to have some pics and comments in one place to keep track easier!
I ordered it and it should be here next week. i'm sure it will be great.
if folks wouldnt mind, even though they might be in other threads too, it would be nice to have pics here in this thread too.

Shel

New in Town
Akubra Hats

Slightly off topic, but I'm looking to buy an Akubra and I read somewhere that correct sizing might be an issue. I'm a 7 3/8 (59cm). Do I just order one in that size, or is there anything else I need to know?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Akbras generally run true to size, but they often seem a half-size too large for their stated size when you first get them. You may need to initially put some sizing strips, folded bits of felt or paper towels, etc., behind the sweatband to get a snug fit. But it just takes some wear - in effect, a few good sweatings - and the sweatband will shrink to your actual size and you can remove the sizing strips (or whatever).

Anyway, ordering your usual size generally works out fine.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
macfly said:
Thanks Bill,
i have done the searches and looked through them all. I think in my excitement i was just hoping to have some pics and comments in one place to keep track easier!
I ordered it and it should be here next week. i'm sure it will be great.
if folks wouldnt mind, even though they might be in other threads too, it would be nice to have pics here in this thread too.

OK my friend, since you ask:

Deluxe Fed. III in brown...or else a Fed IV with full 6" crown(?) re-creased recently as sort of a telescope C-crown:

Deluxe Fed. IV in gray, center dent:

I've had the brown one longer and it's become quite soft and pliable. The moonstone is newer and getting there...

- Bill

macfly

Familiar Face
pefect! now we're talkin...
they look great. i think the moonstone will make me happy..but then i might have to score a dark brown too since thats the ultimate Indy look. i love that tear drop you've been able to put in. i have never done my own bash so this should be an interesting first attempt. any advice on achieving that teardrop look?
thanks again for posting the pics.:eusa_clap

ken100

Familiar Face
Fed 4

I recently bought a fed 4. Just love it, carbon grey, so nice, first bash yourself lid for me, lots of fun wacking felt. I do have lots of akubras,(living here in Australia) and I love them, I have found the sizing a bit like chinese algabra at times, but Im close enough to have lots to try before I buy. I hope you find yours as much a delight as I do mine.
Ken

airspirit

New in Town
Repost from Dumbjaw's thread per request, Fed 4 Deluxe in Moonstone Grey:

fed4bulblight.jpg

Under manmade lights there are brownish highlights to the felt due to the yellow in the bulbs. The lighting was CFL. I went with a modification of Dumbjaw's awesome bash making a C crown necessary due to the lowering of the top.

fed4natlight.jpg

Under natural (overcast Washington) light the brown is almost gone replaced by more of a bluish hint. The front is more accurate than the back in this image as it is corrupted by the kitchen light and shadow.

fed4front.jpg

On me from the front, it took a ton of work to get the crown down to where it didn't make my head look too tall and skinny.

fed4side.jpg

Side angle. Pardon the myspace effect.

macfly

Familiar Face
wow...very nice. sounds like it will be pretty stiff and take some work to get the right bash. thanks for reposting.

macfly

Familiar Face
I actually like that charcoal color more but its not offered in the deluxe so i got the moonstone. if i like the style on me enough then maybe in the future i will also grab that one. the darker one is probably better for winter/fall

macfly

Familiar Face
Iiiiiit's Here!!
I'm sure everyone is tired of yet another Fed IV deluxe but for those of you waiting who need drool fuel....here's the unboxing.
enjoy!

The nice mailman dropped this off...
IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

A little vapor from a cold vaporizer and.....
IMG_0826.jpg

Dry
IMG_0827.jpg

I have to say I like it. I decided to make the bash a little closer to my Stetson Chatham's look. Lowered the crown a little but the sides are still mostly straight. I really like the quality. The felt has a softer hand yet is somewhere between flexible and slightly stiff. The band is a silkly thin sheep leather which is the nicest band in any of my hats.
Overall its a good weight and really didnt require any steam for bashing. i used to vapor just to wet it down a bit more evenly hoping it would set better on drying. I was also surprised with the color. some of the other pics on this site make it seem much lighter. i would say its about a perfect 18% grey card grey for those old time photographers out there.
hope you liked it!

MattJH

One Too Many
Best hat.

During the previous Federation III craze, to be totally honest, I thought it made most people look like Pez dispensers and I didn't understand the interest at all.

The Federation IV is awesome, though.

Nice pictures.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24