Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on my new Eastman Rough Wear B3 jacket

warthog

New in Town
Hi fellas,

I just received my Eastman Rough Wear B3 jacket purchased on Ebay for around $1100. For a jacket at this price, I was expecting a lot. However, when I received the jacket, I don't know how to describe the feeling.
It's like dry and thin tissue paper. I understand enthusiasts may call that authentic feeling, but it really looks fragile and not supple. I've heard lots about the Redskin and its unique characteristics. But for me, it just looks like an old guy walk right through a desert and will die if I don't offer it some liquid. Especially the Broken grain makes it more like dry paper. And the Crown zipper feels very perishable also, unlike the Talon zippers on my Aero jackets. Overall, I don't know how to face this jacket. I want to wear it but worry about tearing soon.
I wear it for 10 minutes yesterday and my whole shirt is covered with wool. My wife looks incredible knowing it is about the same price as my Aero. But, the good side is it really fits me. I think I will still keep it. But will it look more supple with wear? Or it will remain this kinda paper-ish feel? I can post some pics later.

warthog

New in Town
Here are the pics. You can see there are already small cracks on the surface near the zipper.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,139
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,257
  • unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 1,251

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Try to apply Pecard covering it several times during the week and leave it with Pecard covered for about two weeks after last treatment. It should help to soften the leather and will protect it from any next possible cracking and from soaking under the snow etc. I wouldn't wear this exact one before properly done Pecard treatment.
P.S. Nobody knows how it was storaged by its previous owner/eBay seller. Direct sunlight/UV or extremely dry weather might cause its current overdried condition. If the jacket fits well I'd keep it. Pecard should help. Eastman do nice WWII jackets, B3 incl.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I can't tell you how many times I've gotten close to buying either a B3, B6 or D1 on Ebay. But the quality of the leather always scares me off. It seems like the sheep breaks down to a suede basically. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm guessing it turns into a different kind of jacket than what you originally bought. So not sure I want to go through that journey from the beginning myself or kind of buy the phase 2 of it in a used model. So is it that treatment that's make the leather thin like that or they're all like that. How many years can you expect to get with the leather look vs the eventual suede?

And then fit. I'm watching like 6 different Schott B3 size 40 from Japan right now. They each have different p2p and shoulder measurements. Driving me nuts, like 2 to 3 inch difference sometimes. Probably going to end up with a new aero D1 or B6 if I see the right one, but would have loved to pick up a used one at half price.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
????...I've had this Aero B-6 shearling for 19 years and it has no sign of a suede finish. Never heard of a good quality shearling jacket turning to suede....
View attachment 267367
ah that's great to know. Sounds like I'm going with an Aero then : )
The Schotts I'm looking at are probably 15-20 years old. There's definitely very little or any sort of top grain/pebbling/etc. left on them. Again, not saying that's bad, it just looks different.

Dav

One Too Many
I'd say it looks fairly normal for ELCs broken grain, a coat of picards will help soften a bit and may protect the finish, what you see cracking is the applied top coat no the actual leather itself.
The fleece coming off would concern me though, I've not noticed that with any of my ELC sheepskins.
Here's my redskin that's a few years old now, which has had one very light coat of Picards on it earlier in the year.
DSC_0446 (2)-2454x3243.JPG

I have to agree with you on the zip front, it hasn't caused any problems yet but I don't have much faith in it lasting.
Edit
This isn't the "time worn", I don't think they do that on the Redskin.

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
Yes it is, I think they stretch the hides out then apply the finish, then when the tension is released the hide resumes it's normal shape and the wrinkles are formed. This is only a guess based on the fact that when you stretch it between your fingers it kind of goes flat, of course I could be way off.

@warthog

Judging by the photos, what you're seeing on your jacket seems perfectly normal to me.

From what I understand, the wartime finish emulates the look of old B3 jackets that have shrunk with time, leaving the finish no longer... Well, fitting the surface of the leather (don't know how to explain). It'll thus begin to wrinkle (and crack), achieving this look.

The shiny finish you're concerned about isn't leather but a lacquer of a sort and yeah, being mostly a relatively thick layer of inorganic mix of stuff, that's how it feels. Some companies even call this "leatherized" sheepskin.
Anyway, the finish may seem dry and brittle as it basically is just a painted coat of lacquer but that stuff is actually (usually) very durable and weather (and fire!) resistant.

So exactly what @Dav mentioned, it is for that very same reason that leather conditioners (should) have ZERO effect on these jackets, since you can't actually apply it to the leather but only to the finish that covers it, which will have no benefit from it.
The jacket might absorb some of the conditioner if the protective coating is porous where it has began cracking and flaking but how effective will that be in the long run, if at all... Dunno.

Without the finish, sheepskin feel like suede, which is exactly what it is as the inside of the leather is facing outwards, of course, with the fur part keeping you warm.

In short, if it feels like you can peel off the crackly finish easily... Then that's something to be worried about but if it's firmly set and holding on the hide, even though it may appear brittle, you're good.

What @Dav says, though, I'd be more worried about the shedding fur. That shouldn't be happening.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I'd say it looks fairly normal for ELCs broken grain, a coat of picards will help soften a bit and may protect the finish, what you see cracking is the applied top coat no the actual leather itself.
The fleece coming off would concern me though, I've not noticed that with any of my ELC sheepskins.
Here's my redskin that's a few years old now, which has had one very light coat of Picards on it earlier in the year. View attachment 267368
I have to agree with you on the zip front, it hasn't caused any problems yet but I don't have much faith in it lasting.
Edit
This isn't the "time worn", I don't think they do that on the Redskin.
Hey Nick, there's one of the most gorgeous B-3 on you on that your photo above. Fits great, looks great - what's not to love in it?) Looks superbly cool to me, though as much cool as all your other Eastmans do!

Reactions: Dav

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I had the same initial response feeling when I received my Eastman B6. It's their normal topcoat finish / nothing wrong with it. They just use a really heavy finish to protect the sheepskin. Im not sure how much leather conditioner would actually soak through at this point. Just wear it / break it in and it will get a bit softer. But it will never be completely soft flexible like goat hide or an untreated sheepskin. I sold my Eastman after a year. Just wasn't for me so I don't blame you for not enjoying the finish. And yeah, that repro crown zipper is pretty delicate /wonky.

belopsky

A-List Customer
Tomorrow I receive my Eastman B-6, Rough Wear contract. Will see how it compares to the above, though it's not time worn..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana