Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three dollar Goodwill store purchase nets 190,000 dollar return!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK, a couple of things. First, the reporter didn't seem to know what Flemish meant, which was funny. Secondly, it came from GOODWILL; a charity. It would have been nine and even appropriate, I think, to them something? Just a thought. At least the painting was saved.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I love it when someone makes a great score like that! Those of us who haunt thrift stores, garage sales and auctions are always expecting to score the big one, the "Retirement Piece". I've had a few major scores over the years, but nothing approaching that one. Bravo for ol' Leroy.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've often thought that if I got a treasure like that from Goodwill, I might share some of the proceeds with charity. Don't know if I'd say that once it actually happened, tho.
The point is, this guy is a real pro. He haunts Goodwill store 3 or 4 times a week. He's a retired antiques dealers. He knows his stuff and knows what he's looking at.
More power to him.
I'm not surprised that the TV newswoman didn't know the Flemish school. She probably doesn't know Flemish painting from finger painting.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A few years ago in an open air flea market in Pasadena a friend of mine, as we were leaving, saw an old copy of The Great Gatsby and thought, "I'll buy it." It was marked up at $4 but the guy was having a half price sale so got it for 2. On getting home, we checked it out, did some research and it was a first edition copy in 'very good' condition too.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Nice! As a frequent garage/estate saler and thrift store shopper, we all dream of "the find." My greatest find to date was a HeyWake coffee table for $20.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does somebody here know the short story from Roald Dahl with the antique dealer who dresses like a clergyman to get furniture from farmers? It's so good.

I just googled the original title: "Parson's Pleasure"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy