Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Bros. - Official Affiliate Thread

Great write up,Siddhartha.
I think I agree with you on everything you pointed out. It would make a great 'riding' jacket..although I might prefer a lighter weight hide for that..simply because my old Aero heavy FQHH MC jacket was quite tiring on a long MC trip. I was so glad to get home and put on the more comfortable vintage hide MC jacket that I usually wear. No need or use for a belt for me,either.
It really looks good to me..and an improvement over the KOTR. The collar looks smaller to me..somewhat more Bootlegger style perhaps.
Congrats
HD

olworthers

A-List Customer
Great review, I'm awaiting the arrival of my J106 from Aero, you have certainly heightened the anticipation!!

-OW

siddhartha

Familiar Face
Thanks guys! Obviously, I highly recommend this jacket, and in my opinion, you'd be satisfied with either the heavy chrome steer, or the FQHH. One thing I forgot to mention is the one thing I'd change: I'd make the snaps a bit tighter. That's it. I'm sure you could do that on your own, but I haven't, and with the design, tighter snaps might be helpful. Not a big deal at all, and only a minor detail I'd change.

siddhartha

Familiar Face
That was a superb review with pictures to complement your writeup and experience. I won't even ask what bike you will use for your new jacket. My only question is which watch? ;) :D

Thanks Fanch! These days, I can't ride a bike. It's an agreement with my wife-kids/her, or bikes, and I think I made the right choice...that said, we're negotiating when I am allowed back on one. Haven't gone down the path of restoring a bike for restoration's sake, for my eventual return to riding, but that's the plan...someday.

For watches-these days it's usually a vintage 1968 Omega Seamaster 300, or a similar year Doxa Sub 300. Both slip under the sleeve no problem :)

Edward

Bartender
Great review, thanks. Especially helpful to hear your comparison to the Eastman Roadstar, as I recently bought a used one of those (again a 44, and *very* snug in the waist for its size!), and an Aero J106 is on my 'wants' list. I must get the Eastman photographed and put a review up, actually. Mine seems to be an original model from way back - it has a nylon lining and passenger pockets, neither of which are present on the current model... From what you say, the Aero would be a slightly warmer option, which would increase my jacket 'range'. Useful to know, as I'm trying to avoid too much duplication in my little collection.

IXL

One Too Many
My solution for loose snaps has been to place the ball end of a ball peen hammer into the rim of the male snap, while the snap resting face-up on a table. A second hammer is then used to gently tap straight down on the flat face of the ball peen hammer, which drives the ball into the rim. This will evenly expand the rim slightly in diameter, giving the snap assembly a better engagement.
I learned the hard way that one should begin with very light taps and then check for fit, working up to the expansion needed for proper engagement: you can always hit it again but you can't un-hit it.

siddhartha

Familiar Face
Fantastic advice-thanks, I may just do this at some point

My solution for loose snaps has been to place the ball end of a ball peen hammer into the rim of the male snap, while the snap resting face-up on a table. A second hammer is then used to gently tap straight down on the flat face of the ball peen hammer, which drives the ball into the rim. This will evenly expand the rim slightly in diameter, giving the snap assembly a better engagement.
I learned the hard way that one should begin with very light taps and then check for fit, working up to the expansion needed for proper engagement: you can always hit it again but you can't un-hit it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Fanch! These days, I can't ride a bike. It's an agreement with my wife-kids/her, or bikes, and I think I made the right choice...that said, we're negotiating when I am allowed back on one. Haven't gone down the path of restoring a bike for restoration's sake, for my eventual return to riding, but that's the plan...someday.

For watches-these days it's usually a vintage 1968 Omega Seamaster 300, or a similar year Doxa Sub 300. Both slip under the sleeve no problem :)

Sid, I am somewhat in the same boat as you with my wife regarding a two-wheel crotch rocket (cycle) but have high hopes someday. :D I like your choice of watches and have owned several Omegas and Doxas but not those more vintage models that you have. Again, I thought your review and pictures of your new jacket was top notch. :thumb:

Graemsay

Practically Family
Yeah, I agree on the back. Cow hides are larger than horse and I bet it's just a style thing. It's one thing to get a multi-piece A-2, and other for a civi jacket. I do wonder though if that affects the safety aspect of a biker jacket? Are seams inherently unsafe in a crash?

Sorry for the slow reply.

I own a BKS Leather two piece suit, which is made to Level 3 of the Cambridge standard.

If you see any European bike gear, it will sometimes be described as being CE rated, either at level 1 (low speed accidents) or level 2 (high speed accidents). Level 3 of the Cambridge standard corresponds to multiple high speed accidents, and was left out of the CE standard due to lobbying by some of the larger manufacturers.

Put it this way, my BKS suit makes an Aero jacket feel flimsy in comparison. And if you have to fall off a bike then you want to be wearing one.

It's also got a seam running down the middle of its back. If there was a problem with doing it then I doubt that BKS would have made it that way.

That said, there are seams and there are seams. If they're done properly then the stitching will be covered by the leather facing. This diagram (courtesy of Arc-On) shows how they should be done.

seam-construction.gif

I don't know how Vanson sew their jackets, but that would be the question I'd be asking Carrie.

Incidentally, that brown Cafe Racer is lovely.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
For me it's just that a single back seem looks ugly. It looks better if there is a yolk across the top too. Is leather as safe to wear on a bike as modern bike gear?

Graemsay

Practically Family
A good set of leathers is still the most protective garment you can wear on a bike. The abrasion resistance is better than any man-made fibre. At least, it is as far as I know.

The other thing is that a well fitted suit holds you together, and can act as a splint after an accident.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Well-constructed seams are not an issue in motorcycle crashes; they hold up fine. As was stated above, leather is still the most abrasion-resistant material on the market! The suit Wade is wearing in the photo below has seams at every major slide point--hips, thighs, butt, back, forearms, etc. As far as Vanson is concerned, Wade has crashed his Vanson PLU-3 Comet multiple times (he's our staff crash dummy ;) ) and it has held up great...still one of his favorite jackets!

HT4U10111_zps21cf76b5.jpg

Graemsay

Practically Family
Glad to help Butte. And I've crash tested leather too, albeit at a low speed.The other good thing to use is the Forcefield T-Pro armour. I believe that Insurrection sell it. (Right, Carrie?) Comes up top in the tests over here.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Just wanted to let everyone know that we still have 13 June production slots left open for custom Aero jackets! Please call 206-550-3545 to order!

Aero Two-Pocket Cafe' Racer, size 40 with Harris Tweed liner--
Aerocaferacertweedhatfront_zpsb8c7abb3.jpg

Aerocaferacer40harristweedtag_zps4e7a08d5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner