Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Bros. - Official Affiliate Thread

mendelboaz

One Too Many
As soon as I've got my Vanson Model B, I'll tell you how it compares to my Schott 618 and Langlitz Padded Pocket Columbia in goatskin (the Langlitz weighs about 4kg in my size).

IXL

One Too Many
Does anyone own a jacket made of Vanson's Competition Weight leather? Is it too heavy for casual wear?

I have 10 or 12 Vanson jackets, all competition weight. When they are new, "casual wear" can be a bit taxing at times. For example, the Model B, when zipped up, would choke me every time I sat down....but only for a while. While wearing the CHP model I could barely manage to get my hands into the front hand warmer pockets; the sleeves were just that stiff. Also, when zipping the lancer-front fully all the way up for motorcycle riding, I couldn't just grab the zipper pull and carry it all the way up, having to get a different angle of attack for the last couple of inches by placing my thumb under the pull and shoving up. But they all break in and then one has a thick, but pliable heavy leather jacket. Oddly enough, the Stadium Jacket model seems to have broken in the fastest of all my Vansons.

As for the competition weight jackets, I like 'em!!!

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Does anyone own a jacket made of Vanson's Competition Weight leather? Is it too heavy for casual wear?

I'll give my two cents on the Vanson Comp. Weight leather...it can depend a lot on which style you choose! A style that has a lot of seams and extra interior facing feels quite a bit stiffer (like the Model B), especially when brand new! However, a nicely broken-in Enfield (very similar to the Model B) like HD's is one of the nicest casual jackets around. The PLU cafe' racer is one popular model that feels less rigid (even though it's the same leather) because there's little interior facing and fewer seams... Once any of these jackets have softened from the break-in, they are quite supple and comfortable!

Here's a nice custom Aero Highwayman that just came in for a June production customer...

Aero Highwayman Black FQHH.jpg

www.thurston-bros.com

www.insurrectionperformance.com

morrison2951

Practically Family
Wow! A dozen Vanson jackets! I have Vanson envy! Ha ha

I have just the one Enfield in the rare HH from several years back and it rocks!

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Looks like it's going to be a perfect rainy Seattle weekend...perfect for trying on leather jackets! We'll be at the shop this Saturday 12-6 and Sunday 12-4, so stop on by to see the new Aero Board Racer, as well as many other new jackets that have recently arrived!

Here's a lovely Aero Teamster that came in recently for a customer...

Aero Teamster front smaller version.jpg

www.thurston-bros.com

Last edited:

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Hi,

Yes, we carry RRL Engineer Boots...

View attachment 14988

We're open today from 12-6pm...we invite all in the Greater Seattle Area to stop on by!

www.thurston-bros.com

Those look sweet! I think Wesco boots are more my cup of tea, though. I checked out the inside of your shop on Google Maps, and it looks to be quite small (but a simply outstanding beauty of a store, though!). How can you possibly carry so many jackets within that small amount of space?

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi mendelboaz,

Yes, our shop is definitely pretty small, but anyone who's been here can tell you that we're packed with merchandise! In fact, I believe that we have one of the best, if not the very best, selections of premium leather jackets in North America!

Those look sweet! I think Wesco boots are more my cup of tea, though. I checked out the inside of your shop on Google Maps, and it looks to be quite small (but a simply outstanding beauty of a store, though!). How can you possibly carry so many jackets within that small amount of space?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
My Vanson Model B arrived today; this is one stiff jacket! Tough as nails and such a luscious smell.. It weighs 3.4kg outweighing my Schott but it is not as heavy as my Langlitz. Here are some comparison pics; please forgive the crappy iPad front cam photo quality. I will be sure to post a better picture (one that can be displayed on the Thurston Bros. Gallery with honor) once the jacket has seen some wear.

Vanson Model B, size 38, out of the box:

foto1_zps57995106.png

Schott 641HH, size 36, after 10 months of wear:

foto2_zps69d492de.png

Thank you, Carrie, for one lovely jacket. Can't wait to see how it breaks in :)

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Great jacket. I was torn between The model b and plu-3. Went with plu-3 as its off the rack measurements were a little closer to what I needed. Mine should arrive Friday.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
My Vanson Model B arrived today; this is one stiff jacket! Tough as nails and such a luscious smell.. It weighs 3.4kg outweighing my Schott but it is not as heavy as my Langlitz. Here are some comparison pics; please forgive the crappy iPad front cam photo quality. I will be sure to post a better picture (one that can be displayed on the Thurston Bros. Gallery with honor) once the jacket has seen some wear.

Vanson Model B, size 38, out of the box:

foto1_zps57995106.png

Schott 641HH, size 36, after 10 months of wear:

foto2_zps69d492de.png

Thank you, Carrie, for one lovely jacket. Can't wait to see how it breaks in :)

Jacket looks great! Send us a photo once it has broken-in! Vanson's always look better with some wear on them! Again, looks awesome!

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Great jacket. I was torn between The model b and plu-3. Went with plu-3 as its off the rack measurements were a little closer to what I needed. Mine should arrive Friday.

Definitely post some pictures, I was also deciding between them but went with Model B mainly because of the brass hardware.

IXL

One Too Many
Definitely post some pictures, I was also deciding between them but went with Model B mainly because of the brass hardware.

Same here: I got the model B with the brass, but the model B House Deluxe kept calling to me (you guys know what thats like!) and as I'm a weak individual, I now have one of those as well. I really like the little bit of extra length and the double zipper. The chrome is even starting to grow on me.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Same here: I got the model B with the brass, but the model B House Deluxe kept calling to me (you guys know what thats like!) and as I'm a weak individual, I now have one of those as well. I really like the little bit of extra length and the double zipper. The chrome is even starting to grow on me.

LOL... I'm starting to wonder how big your entire jacket collection is.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Our biggest event of the year is next weekend! The Greenwood Car Show is Saturday, June 28, from 8am-4pm! We'll be open 12-6 that day and we've got a front row seat to the show from our storefront...come on by to visit us and check out the mile and a half of classic cars, hotrods, live music and tons of food vendors!

Greenwood Car Show 5.jpg

Greenwood Car Show 6.jpg

Greenwood Car Show 1.JPG

Greenwood Car Show 2.jpg

Greenwood Car Show 7.jpg

Greenwood Car Show 4.jpg

www.thurston-bros.com

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
The new Aero Board Racer is one of the most stunning and well fitted cafe' racers that we've ever had the pleasure of carrying in our shop. For an Aero Board Racer fit jacket, please contact us at (206) 550-3545.

Fit: Quite fitted with slim biceps, shoulders, and chest. For people who like a fitted front quarter horsehide cafe' racer, this is the Aero for you!

www.thurston-bros.com

View attachment 14861

View attachment 14862

View attachment 14863

View attachment 14864

View attachment 14865

View attachment 14866

View attachment 14867

View attachment 14868

View attachment 14869

Hey Carrie, I've got a question on how they do the rayon sleeve lining...do they take it all the way to the edge of the sleeve like they do with the linings on their other jackets? And, can they do this rayon sleeve option on their other styles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner