Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Etiquette: Or, Ten Golden Rules for a Tarnished Age

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
From Drakes, the London tiemaker.

We tend to agree with the maxim that men of style are never too fashionable, that idiosyncrasy always plays its part in stylish dress. And yet there are unspoken rules that a gentleman ignores at his own peril. Not exactly an arcane code, but there are unwary subtleties of dress. The smaller points of wearing a tie makes a good case for adhering to a certain form.

1. There are really only two knots worth considering: the four-in-hand and half-Windsor; and only the four-in-hand for knit ties. Other knots are novelties.

2. The self-loop at the back of the large blade, sometimes called a “keeper” but often merely the makers label, needn’t actually be used in fact to hold the smaller blade, better not to, for a freer, more stylish note.

3. The blade ends should ideally reach the top of the trouser waistband and should match up in length. Not as easy as it looks to the uninitiated.

4. A small dimple at the base of the knot shows a certain je ne sais quoi of finesse.

5. With tie bars, as with mens’ jewellery generally, anything other than tasteful discretion can be hazardous, and probably should be avoided.

6. A tie should always be untied carefully after wearing. As Miss Adelaide says in Guys and Dolls, “We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob.”

7. Fabric ties (silk, wool, cashmere, cotton) should be rolled after wearing and then hung; knit ties should be rolled and never hung.

8. A four-in-hand or half-Windsor knot should just fill the tie space at the collar button and be taut enough to arch out from the collar a bit; the mid-section of the tie should be completely hidden under the collar at the back.

9. Bow ties should never look perfectly tied. Ceaseless practice usually suffices to produce the precise look of subtle imperfection.

10. The proper length for a bow tie is achieved when the ends sit within the edges of the collar. This necessitates buying bow ties with sized graduated bands or with an adjustable slider.

Occasionally these rules are a bit difficult to follow with a standard length and width tie. Then you might consider a bespoke version.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I took my tie cue from the late Peter Jennings. The man tied an impeccable knot with just the proper dimple. Quite proud of my knots, frankly. Thank you Peter! RIP.

-dixon 'ABC' cannon

zeytoun

New in Town
Oscar%20Wilde%20with%20bow%20tie.jpg

Qirrel

Practically Family
I disagree with the wording of rule no. 1. I agree that the tie knot shouldn't really be any larger than "a half windsor", but there is a problem with the definition. A tie that is made with a thick material and is thick at the knotting could easily become too large with even a four in hand. That is when other knots come in handy.

Tiller

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
He was a trip. Wilde's hair was considered a bit long even for that time period. And his tie! I guess he never saw the Ten Golden Rules...lol

I'm not sure how odd long hair was in general in the Victorian area atleast in here in the States, although I know Wilde is an Englishman. Buffalo Bill and other men of the plans wore long hair including Bill Hickok. Probably has more to do with the nature of living in the wild west then just fashion though.

433px-Buffalo_Bill_Cody_ca1875.jpg

225px-Wild_Bill.jpg

Tiller

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was Irish - calling him English to his face may have caused offence!

My humblest of apologies. Every time I've ever heard people talk about the man the term "English Dandy" usually gets thrown around. Wrong but none the less it is often the perceptions of the truth that we hold onto instead of the truth itself :p.

Still I apologies to Mr. Wilde whether he is now.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
From Drakes, the London tiemaker.

1. There are really only two knots worth considering: the four-in-hand and half-Windsor; and only the four-in-hand for knit ties. Other knots are novelties.

What about the (Full) Windsor? Especially with a cutaway/spread collar.

Edward

Bartender
I love rule 9 - so me. lol

Young fogey said:
Noted snob (but funny and often correct) Paul Fussell called the full Windsor a fave of sophisticated teenage boys.

To that one might be tempted to add Premiership footballers (top level English league for Soccer)... though it may be the ties that they use which cause even a four in hand to look like a knot the size of their heads....

I've pondered posting a separate thread on this for a while, but I'll ask here instead as it seems appropriate:

Does anyone known where I should go to have some ties shortened? I have maybe a dozen or a dozen and a half modern ties that I dearly love, but they're all about six inches too long, IMO. The upshot of this is that either the end hangs round my crotch (ugh), or they end up with a huge knot. Would it be feasible for a seamstress to simply dock their ends, as it were, and hem them off at the thin end? I find this especially a problem as I favour an older-style waist nowadays, but I've always hated a tie hanging more than two inches above the wasitband.

Puzzicato said:
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was Irish - calling him English to his face may have caused offence!

It still does to many of his countrymen! ;) :p

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, lining up both blades while having the tie come to the belt eliminates me from wearing vintage ties.

Then again, in the old movies, I see lots of fellows whose ties don't come all the way down to the belt.

Is that such a fashion faux pas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats