Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie knots and tie pins (two topics not yet covered?)

Alon

One of the Regulars
Unless I'm mistaken, there is no previous thread on either of these topics.

So I'm stuck at home with a bugger of a virus and not much to do. I decided to play around with Lord Whimsy's array of tie knots, found here. I absolutely recommend the Prince Albert. I love it! I'll submit photos of my attempt as soon as I'm healthy and have taken up the habit of shaving again.

Do you have particular knots you enjoy and care to show off besides the usual 4 in hand and half windsor?

The other subject I raise is tie pins. My inspiration is this photograph of the (great? - that's a topic for another thread) English composer Edward Elgar:

elgar3.jpg

You'll notice that among his many dashing accouterments is what appears to be a pearl tie pin. How exactly do these attach to the tie? Don't they ruin the fabric? Does anyone still wear them?

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
As to knots, I tend to stick to the Half Windsor (although I suspect that what I tie is actually, through cackhandedness, a reverse Half Windsor) with the occasional Four-in-Hand if I am dealing with a thick tie/narrow collar/short tie, etc.

I occasionally affect a tie pin/stick pin, usually only with formal dress, as follows:

021-1.jpg

Here's a selection of mine:

001-3.jpg

I wear them through the fabric of the tie to hold the front and rear blades together, although no doubt there are other ways. Generally I find that the hole seals up, but there is no doubt that it is a risk. This is one reason why I don't wear them very often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24