Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Johnson Leather Opus (pic and narrative heavy)

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Had I not stumbled across the board while researching a Vanson Enfield on ebay, I'm sure I'd have never bought this jacket in a million years. I also should thank everyone who answered all my questions on the hide, cuffs, lining, pockets, collar, zipper, and every other conceivable matter. I posted at least 20 queries and probably a lot more. So what's the story? About two years ago, on the advice of members here, I took a plane to San Francisco and went into JL for a custom fitted motorcycle jacket. It was fun picking the hide, lining, hardware, etc., but at the end of the day, it was still a stock M200. After seeing all the projects here, I wouldn't be happy until I had a totally custom design jacket made. On this one, I was probably the customer who would drive a saint to drink. I started the order in January 2013; then I got sick and was off for a long time, then I called Alan to see if it was ready and he said I never gave the final approval; then I started all over with a new concept (Alan never complained), then I was going to SF until I wasn't. Finally after a million twists and turns it came today. I wanted a WARM jacket for general use but specifically for riding my scooter in the cold when I don't want to look like the Michelin Man with armor and two layers under for warmth. I said I wanted basically a Lost World Rigger (bottom picture) but with a wool collar. They didn't get the zipper exactly the same, but fog of war and all that (it also turned out to be the JL M-120 sans epaulets and two-way pockets). I further thought that would be a good style because the fit is more blousey and the bottom would fit a number of different waistlines. I put on about 15lbs almost overnight due to a medication, so who knows my future belt size? The colors are most accurate in the first pic with me wearing it. The other pix make the hide look too brown and the knits too bright and orangy instead of a darker rust/dark berry hue. At first glance you'd say it was black (except next to black it would look obviously very very dark brown).

The highlights are:
-Cow CMX, black spray over brown. Not the heavy stuff. They shaved it down I think to 2 and 3/4 oz., or something like that.
-Brown thread. (Alan's suggestion)
-A deluxe merino wool lining that Alan had left over from a VIP order (same as Forrest's). I think it's verrry expensive, but he threw it in free (because I'm such a cool guy, I guess).
-Brown permanent mouton collar (with no strap. If it gets that cold I'll tie my muffler around my collar).
-Deep slash handwarmer pockets lined with corduroy (which was suggested on FL.)
-A horizontal inside pocket on each side.
-An antique brass zipper. I originally ordered nickel, then Alan called from out of the blue that they were building my jacket and antique brass was a better match. I went along, both because I trusted in Alan's experience and impeccable taste and because if he cared that much, I wasn't going to tell him to go jump in the bay.
-The tag says 38 but it doesn't mean that much. I think Alan said it was a size 39, but my other JL is a 42.
-I had Alan line up the back yoke seam and the sleeve seam. I just like it better that way (and probably see it as a subtle hint of customization).
-I went with pleating in the arms. If that doesn't work out i'll send it back and do something else.
- Weight = 5.2lbs

What I was going for was a minimalistic design what would highlight the materials. Also I wanted a jacket in a style like I had as a kid. And finally, I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but I'm queer for rust knits (with dark brown). If there was one aspect that drove everything else, it was I wanted rust knits period! I think that's about everything. If I think of something else I'll edit it in. This isn't just for today or this week. I'm conscious of the good possibility that someone in the future using the search function will learn something.

So thanks again for all the advice.

IwA60sZ.jpg

cqShIrI.jpg

xsUg9wp.jpg

FVPFRHU.jpg

0qXUNY7.jpg

sCBv8GA.jpg

G9mKsvp.jpg

xYb5ERI.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations and am glad to hear that the jacket is all that you wished it to be. I really like the simple, functional, and understated design and look. :thumb:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Love it! Reminds me of Mark Fisher's (Superior Flight Apparel/Norshor) "Stratoliner" jacket which I've always had a soft spot for.

The hide looks superb and colour goes perfectly with the berry knits. Really, really nice jacket.

Ordy

New in Town
Great jacket. The leather is beautiful. What is cow CMX? Chromexcel??

I might get a Johnson leathers myself. My only issue is that I want something with more of a fashion cut. Has anyone at Johnson Leathers seen any custom works that were more modern and less heritage?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Great jacket. The leather is beautiful. What is cow CMX? Chromexcel??

I might get a Johnson leathers myself. My only issue is that I want something with more of a fashion cut. Has anyone at Johnson Leathers seen any custom works that were more modern and less heritage?

Yes, CMX is chromexcel. On the other thing: i'm pretty sure if you show him a picture, he can do it first rate.

Edward

Bartender
Sharp jacket - works really well. Definitely prefer the berry knits over the green ones on the LW; I think they'll work especially well as the black starts to wear through the the brown underneath.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Lovely jacket. The merino wool liners a nice touch - you'll never feel the cold with that - and the berry knits are the cherry on the cake.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great jacket, great fit...well done sir!! Being a fellow Vespa fan, I would love to know what model of scooter do you ride??

IXL

One Too Many
Great jacket, great fit...well done sir!! Being a fellow Vespa fan, I would love to know what model of scooter do you ride??

I believe he has a LX150. I have a BV250. And you? Heck, I'm starting to think you can't swing a dead cat around this place without hitting a scooterist :)

Vespizzare

A-List Customer

You speak, I obey. 2006 LX150. You can't see but the roundel is like the Army Air Force (pre-1942) except the background is a super reflective yellow (which is supposed to be the safest light color at night). I took the little one in front off. AS Rabbi Kaplan said, "You can have too much even of kreplach."

Ss3ajEx.jpg

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Alan is the man, and if he ever relocates to the UK believe I'll be first in line. I think it's already all been said, but anyway.. for me it's the collar, that leather at that weight, the lining, and those rust knits that make this the killer jacket it is!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a lovely LX 150 thanks very much for posting a picture of it, that top box looks very useful. The BV250 looks to be a very practical scooter, I've read good reviews. Riding scooters is mainly responsible for introducing me to flying jackets. Mine as seen below is a PX210, the glove box is airbrushed with a 'Rumble Fish' theme from the 1983 film.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 245

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner