Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie sizes throughout the decades

habberdasher

A-List Customer
I've been wondering, what were the widths of tie from the twenties to sixties? I know the sixties were about 1.5-2 inches wide, but I don't know exactly for the other decades. I see thirties-forties ties wide sometimes then medium, so I'm not so sure. Anyone know the widths?

LukasWallace

New in Town
I can't answer your question, but I do know that the taper of tie varies as well as some are more straight and some are very tapered, granted which knot you use can effect the look of this as well.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
In addition, there will soon be a type of Fedora Lounge necktie guide available as a separate thread. In the meantime, just this quick comparison: From the 1920s to early-'40s, ties averaged around 3"-3 1/4", wheras after WWII and until about 1952 tie width averaged about 4". From '52 to about '55, 3" was fairly standard, but then tie width shrank down to approxamitely 2"-2 1/2". By the early-'60s, 1 1/2" was standard, and some ties even measured as little as 1".

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
A little pictoral primer on tie width (tie photos not to scale)-

Average '30s/early-'40s width (3"):
CCF04192010_00002.jpg

Typical late-'40s/early-'50s (4"):
CCF03132010_00000.jpg

Mid-'50s transition period (3"):
CCF02282010_00000.jpg

Late-'50s to mid-'60s (1"-2"):
CCF04142010_00000.jpg
CCF03122010_00000.jpg

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Thanks a lot! But do you know the 20s widths? They had some pretty weird transition looks then, like the jazz suit and a detachable collar going out of style.

Feraud

Bartender
From Esquire's Encyclopdedia-
The start of the Jazz Age decade saw a most important invention for the neckwear industry: a resilient construction making use of a loose stitch and a bias-cut wool interlining hat permitted the tie to spring back into shape after knotting. Prior to this time, flannel had been used for linings.

It looks like tie construction during this period (the 20s) was becoming quite standardized.
What makes for interesting reading is the description of material, patterns, and texture used in the ties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80