Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips for that nostalgic true feminine smell..!

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I like Hermes "Jardin sur le nil." I do not own a bottle, but when I visit Sephora I always stop for a sniff.

Here are the notes:

Top Notes
Green Mango, Grapefruit

Middle Notes
Calamus, Lotus

Base Notes
Sycamore, Frankincense

Sigh. It just smells so good.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Oops, I forgot to add my other favorite- Calyx (by Prescriptives). My grandmother wore it when I was a little girl and she would give me her empty bottles. I used to sit there in my room and smell it to remind me of her (she lived very far away and I didn't get to see her very often).

ninotchka

New in Town
Newbie here (this is my first post!). I thought I'd share this link with the members of this board, as it seems like something you'd enjoy - a list of Old Hollywood stars and their favorite scents:

http://perfumeshrine.fortunecity.com/celebritylist.html

One of my personal favorites is Mitsouko, a very intense and spicy-smelling chypre. This website says that Ingrid Bergman wore it, along with Jean Harlow (whose husband was rumored to have committed suicide while wearing it). It was formulated in 1919.

I also love Miss Dior, though that's more of a 50s scent - I do have a habit of matching my fragrances to my outfit, and this is the one I usually put on for circle skirts and pearls.

ninotchka

New in Town
one more!

Rochas Femme is another great scent (another chypre). It was first made in 1944 and the shape of the bottle was supposedly modelled after the shape of Mae West's figure.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I love Eau du Val and Lavendar Harvest from L'Occitane.

I also have some "vous souvenez-vous?" that I picked up in New Orleans from a small perfumier name Hove. (http://www.hoveparfumeur.com/)

And strangely enough I love Hillary Duff's With Love. How random is that.

Smuterella

One Too Many
embarassingly my girlfriend has total control of the scents I wear, she hates anything too strong. left to my own devices i like very strong dark smelling perfumes but the only she like that I have is a really limey modern Armani one

:rolleyes:

jayem

A-List Customer
BPAL BPAL BPAL!!!

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/

They have a scent called Antique Lace
Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

Marie
A blend of sinuous violet and elegant tea rose: the chosen scent of France's Demigoddess of Debauch: Marie Antoinette.

Juliet
Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear.

Queen Gertrude
Imperial violet softened by wisteria and chrysanthemum, but edged with the regal iciness of delphinium.

Alice
Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Those are my favorites, to me the smell very antique-ish. I wear Marie the most. To me, Marie is a very true vintage smell. Roses are always a classic.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I like very simple, single note florals. It's not golden age at all (the company started in 1961!), but I currently wear Diptyque's ofresia, which smells of freesias. I'm waiting for them to do a rose one, as I love the smell of roses. Although they are not too vintage they are called 'toilet water' and 'toilet vinegar'!

Anyone visiting paris is recommended to go to the diptyque store, they also do amazing scented candles.

This thread has made me want to go to selfridges and sniff perfumes! I hate how it's difficult to shop for perfume as you get too many on your arms and cant smell them properly.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I also wear aqua di parma, which I jsut found out from Ninotchka's link puts me in the company of Audrey Hepburn and Ava Gardner.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I have a question regarding solid perfumes.
Does anyone know if it was common to use it or available?
I have found some solid perfume jewelry on ebay saying 20s / 40s but I wondered if you have more information?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't seen any evidence

Goldfish said:
I have a question regarding solid perfumes.
Does anyone know if it was common to use it or available?
I have found some solid perfume jewelry on ebay saying 20s / 40s but I wondered if you have more information?

of solid perfumes before the 60s... but I could be wrong.
A lot of dealers do not know what they are talking about. It sounds like Avon solid perfumes, that came in fancy compacts, in the 60s and 70s, and so on.
I just did a quick search on Ebay, and nothing came up for "solid perfume 20s", but "solid perfume" yielded 297 items, all new or at least post 60s.

zaika

One Too Many
interesting! i don't give much thought to scent...aside from making sure i don't smell gross. lol
not vintage as far as i know...but i wear Dior's Dolce Vita. The Eau de Toilette Spray...if that makes any difference. it's a very nice sweet and dusky scent...but i'm the kind of person that has toxic skin. (seriously. i have a hard time finding perfume that smells good on my skin. come to think of it, actually, i have a VERY hard time finding it.)
so, i spray Dolce Vita in my hair...kind of underneath near my ears and it smells good there. but i'd love to be able to wear perfume on my wrists and clavicle.
but, i'd love to find a vintage, feminine...light floral scent that will work with my skin pH. my grandmother had an old bottle of flowery perfume that i tried (i'm sorry, don't remember the name), but it smelled horrible on me.
anyone have toxic, sensitive skin? what do you use?

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
K.D. Lightner said:
My favorite is Chanel #19. I don't like sweet scents, with the exception of Jasmine.

Well that makes 3 of us that wear Chanel #19 in the whole Universe!

It is my favorite. Even if it is $89 a bottle.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Right now, I'm using a perfumed Amber oil from l'Occitaine, a scent they're discontinuing. I LOVE it! Musky, with a hint of vanilla sweetness. Yum. Bath and Bodyworks (I only went there 'cause I had a gift certificate, but I'm a happy girl now!) actually has a new scent I've been using too, called Sensual Amber. Absolutely lovely.

Does anyone have any suggestions for scents along these lines? I adore the Amber oil, and I'd love, even more, to have a real perfume with this smell.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Maroc is like musky moroccan rose. It is amber in color, and hard to find.. but oh so unique!

I have two bottles left, and they are kept in soundproof, lightproof, airtight containers.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Maroc is like musky moroccan rose. It is amber in color, and hard to find.. but oh so unique!

I have two bottles left, and they are kept in soundproof, lightproof, airtight containers.

oh dear lord...you have some still?

I love you! just dont let me know where the secret vault is or its done for ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran