Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To alter or not to alter

JCSD

Practically Family
I run into this problem quite a bit when buying off the rack because sleeves are inevitably too long given my wider shoulders and shorter stature. I’ve altered a number of jackets with varying degrees of success but, of course, the more expensive the piece the more hesitation I have. Another consideration is the build quality of the jacket- Japanese repros with their exacting nature are the hardest pieces to pull the trigger on. With that said I was hoping to get some input from you guys. Based on conversations with some of our preferred alterations experts the consensus seems to be that the sleeves of my Freewheelers La Brea will be difficult to address based on the various seams and studs on the sleeve.

Are the sleeves visually acceptable as-is?

7D52E84A-7F78-4935-B942-DCF271493925.jpeg
F5574E3D-F187-4BA8-B781-BCD43F6CA881.jpeg

I wouldn’t alter them but I can imagine unzipped they might fall far too long. Is the issue that you want to wear them unzipped rather than zipped? They do look perfectly fine zipped.

willyto

One Too Many
Get some water sprayed on those sleeves and wear it around home. Do it daily for a few days, they will get better and flexible.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Looks good as it is. Unzipped maybe a hair long, but hard to tell without actually seeing it. Certainly nothing I would seek to alter.

Jacket looks simply great on you!

Psant25

One Too Many
Looks great. I have done alterations and not had great success on sleeve shorten or sleeve taper. I did have JL replace both sleeves entirely on a moto jacket and that turned out great. Makes sence as they were basically starting with totally new cut leather from altered patterns. Would never do that to your jacket pictured obviously

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Can you wear your wrist watch with the sleeve fully zipped? If no, maybe this is one of the jackets you don't wear a watch with. It's cool the way it is now...

JCSD

Practically Family
I wouldn’t alter them but I can imagine unzipped they might fall far too long. Is the issue that you want to wear them unzipped rather than zipped? They do look perfectly fine zipped.
Would never wear unzipped so guess that’s good.

JCSD

Practically Family
Can you wear your wrist watch with the sleeve fully zipped? If no, maybe this is one of the jackets you don't wear a watch with. It's cool the way it is now...
An wear
Watch fits fine under the zipped cuff so no worries there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points