Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To bi-swing back or not to bi-swing back?

fathergoose

New in Town
Agreed.

Personally, I like the look of it, though I appreciate it adds weight etc. There's something slightly 'Deco' about the construction of the bi-swing which appeals to me.

It's "that" look, I think. These days, I try to do nothing more strenuous than pick up a Boston terrier. But I have the Wested Raiders, and from the back at least, it always looks as though I'm about to cross a swinging liana bridge to explore an undiscovered jungle temple rather than just the street to get a pint of milk.

U-Boat/motorcycle/utility hybrid has a plain back, tends to restrict any sort of movement whatsoever and looks much better on a hanger than on me.

Vintage A2 is hopeless. I don't understand how pilots could stand wearing 'em.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
It's "that" look, I think. These days, I try to do nothing more strenuous than pick up a Boston terrier. But I have the Wested Raiders, and from the back at least, it always looks as though I'm about to cross a swinging liana bridge to explore an undiscovered jungle temple rather than just the street to get a pint of milk.

U-Boat/motorcycle/utility hybrid has a plain back, tends to restrict any sort of movement whatsoever and looks much better on a hanger than on me.

Vintage A2 is hopeless. I don't understand how pilots could stand wearing 'em.

Or even sit at the controls....

I never understood why they didn't have the same backs as the navy jackets. I've never got on with any A2 for that reason.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I read somewhere that since there were much fewer Navy aviators then Army Air Force pilots, the Navy could be more selective in their flight jacket specifications (in quantity and quality) since they didn't need the mass quantities of flight gear that the USAAF did. Also the Navy specified the bi-swing back and underarm gussets in their flight jackets to accommodate swimming when ditching a plane at sea.

Stand By

One Too Many
My bi-swing has no discernible elastic in it and works brilliantly - no bat-wings in sight. [huh]

And I checked my ANJ-3 for them when this point was raised earlier as I hadn't previously noticed any either ... and when checking it over feeling for them, I still couldn't detect any....

fathergoose

New in Town
Same here. An A2 looks fantastic on a hanger or on the back of a Mustang pilot, but with mine, I wore it, slept in it, balled it up, used it as a pillow, never took it off, and after three years, it STILL feels strange. The Raiders, on the other hand, feels like I've worn it forever. As secure as your dad's arm around your shoulder. Off the rack 44. Go figure. Must be that bi-swing back.

FredS

One of the Regulars

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Sorry to bump..just a quick question and it seemed better than making a new thread.

Out of curiosity, can you have a full bi-swing back without a top back yoke? If so, where does the bi-swing stop?

Thanks.

Buick8

New in Town
Just received a G and B palisade motorcycle jacket with the bi swing. What a great fit and i ordered it in my size and it was not over cut like I have been reading. Tamy at G @ B has been a big help.

schitzo

Suspended
Suppose you've got a snug fitting jacket with a plain back, like my roadster for example. I am wondering what sort of difference to fit and manoeuvrability a bi-swing back would make were it substituted onto the same jacket?

Specifically, if instead of asking for a jacket with slightly bigger dimensions in order to achieve a more roomy fit could the same effect be realised by simply including a bi-swing back?

From personal exp i know the bi-swing does make a difference and I am a fan of them. I just don't how to quantify that difference

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Schitz, I think the main thing that a bi-swing back offers is keeping the sleeves or knits from coming up to your elbows when you reach forward. The bi-swing back and gusseted underarms on a G-1 makes all the difference in the world in wearability over that of an A-2. However, the A-2 is such a cool looking jacket, I just ignore its shortcomings, even in spite of the fact that I once served in the US Navy and was issued a G-1 a long time ago.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Excellent thread, guys. I have a well-fitting M-51 with no gussets and, yes, the arms ride up a bit in a reaching movement but oh well. I found an M-65 that fits very nicely but the gussets were "pooched out" a bit. After a careful half-hour with an iron they lay flat and look great. I suppose they may pooch out again after repeated close-quarter combat, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the Bi-swing on my M422A, gives me a close fitting jacket but with good shoulder and arm movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24