Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To bob or not to bob?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That is the question... Whether tis nobler for the head to suffer the shears or... ok, lost momentum there.

I have my hair the longest it's been for about 4 years, but I'm noticing I get a lot more headaches, etc. I am WRETCHED at setting my hair and have been doing braids instead.... but I am lusting after a early-mid 30s long bob hairdo.

What are your experiences with cutting your long hair, and what do you do to break a hair lazy attitude?

The thought of sleeping in rollers or pincurls every night sounds so unappealing and my hair is very fine and hates to hold a curl. Any input would be lovely! I'm usually so hair and makeup lazy that I don't even venture into this room, but I'd love some help!

Lauren

Here's some styles I'm really drawn to- but my hair now is at the middle of my back, so kind of a long way from these. lol
barbara.jpg

constance.jpg

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Don't do it. I've cut my hair short a few times and though I enjoy it's easiness and lightness, in the back of my mind I'm constantly going "why oh why"

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Voice of everyday reason here...

if you don't want to curl it daily, and your hair is fine and doesn't really hold a curl...it wont look like either of those without that....

if you are okay with a much straighter bob, and setting it for 'vintage occasions', then sure, do it, its just hair.

But both of these women in the pictures have some basic wave and texture to their hair..(whether it was a perm or not who knows)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Can you get one of those short sleek bobs like Louise Brooks? With the bangs, maybe? I love those. And you wouldn't have to curl it, just maybe use a little bit of mousse to keep it pin-straight and kill any frizz and add shine.

SayCici

Practically Family
I say go for it! I think you would look great, and if you decide you prefer your longer hair, well.. we all know it grows, and it's fun to go short at least once in your life!

I especially think it'd suit you since you tend to dress very 20s/30s! There's a big difference between setting/styling long and short hair, anyhow.

The last time my hair was long it was to my bust (and over 3 years ago), and I started gradually cutting it shorter and shorter, and now I have a pixie cut! I think some people have reservations about short hair because they still attach having long locks to feminine beauty. :)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I agree with what Miss Neecerie said.
Have you considered a longer bob like this one? Greta Garbo hair seems of a fine texture to me ,the style and cut is timeless and can be very attractive. Almost no curl there and more of a soft wave (rollers on the ends i imagine). Do you like that?

garbogreta.jpg

Lauren

Wow! You gals are helping me out a lot!
I actually have cut my hair short, but it's been two years ago since it was! I used to love how it looked when it was short and I styled it, but I was terribly undisciplined about setting it... Very good point that it grows back...
My husband and I are going on vacation for two weeks, and nearly a week will be a 30s event... I'm just worried that so much of the vacation will be spent doing my hair that I won't get to see the sights! How long do your gals' hair sets stay for when you put them in... do you think it's possible to set it once or twice a week with fine hair??
I actually really like that long bob Garbo has- I think that's something my hair would do- mostly not wavy but a little at the bottom. Of course we're always drawn to our opposite and I want short Ginger Rogers curly style! lol

julia

New in Town
I am growing out my hair to donate and I was thinking about getting a bob at the end of the summer. The thing is, I had my hair bobbed once before and it had a pouffy effect. I think this was mostly because of the stylist, but maybe due to my having thick hair. Would getting it shingled help this? Also, I like the thirties fingerwave styles but I don't have much experience with curls. If I got my hair shingled could I still fingerwave it effectively? If I got it permed in a fingerwave would it look like that everyday or would I have to restyle it? How much maintenance would it need? I know almost nothing about hair.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I grapple with this myself from time to time... my hair is and inch shy of my bra strap, it is very fine and very straight and does not hold curl well at all either but I do not have enough hair on my head to give me a head ache. Even when I was young and had hair down to below my kness I still did not get head aches, if that was happening then I would maybe consider cutting it because my hair does a very nice Louise Brooks bob. Actually what holds me back is because I am doing photo shoots and I am able to get way more of a variety of looks with my hair long for example my 20's photo shoot that was just a couple a months ago with hair down to my mid back waved and rolled in a chignon, I can do rolls or braids or whatever, I find it very versitile especially since I dress in a number of different eras plus my hair does a very nice beehive too. For my daily look at my externship I wear it long and straight and encourage the bottom to roll under and then I wear Bettie Page bangs not because I am trying to look like her it just suits my face and is more practical for a daily look for me.

Brooksie

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I had hair to like... my very lower back and chopped it to my shoulders on a whim in November. It's just hair, it'll grow back. I think you should cut it if you're leaning towards it! :) Bobs are pretty, but I have naturally thick, curly hair... It'd be a mess!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
After a couple of years with my hair slightly layered and below my shoulders, I went to the stylist, tucked it in my turtleneck and said, "this is how long I want my hair." It's fresher look (for me, anyway). It's a little past my chin and slightly longer in the front. The shorter (but not "short") length gives me more styling options because it's not being weighed down. And if you don't like your hair shorter, you can start growing it back right away. :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
If one isn't as keen on long hair as I am for whatever reason and if one has the face for a bob, which I think you do Lauren, then I say go for a bob. I really wish I had the face for it. Since I don't, I'm a long hair gal because it's low maintenance and actually relatively low care and definitely low cost. If you have a blunt bob and if you take care of it and don't suffer with split ends, then you may be able to go longer between trims in times when the money's tight. You can do as little or as much with a bob on a daily basis as you wish.

To anyone with thin and/or fine hair; You too can have long hair if you want and if you're able to grow long hair and shouldn't let anyone talk you out of wearing your hair long if that's what you want. You shouldn't get your hair cut just because someone else thinks something else would suit your hair texture and face shape better. Same goes for anyone else with any hair texture they can grow long.

With a bob, it's not super short, it's definitely a very feminine style and you don't get your hairdresser nagging you to get more cut off than you want.:rolleyes: I have to brace myself with steel determination every time I go for a trim.:( All depending on how your bob is cut, it's also a relatively easy hairstyle to regret. Of course, the more layers or angling you have cut, the harder it is to regret it.

This may depend on individual hair structure but for me, shorter hair isn't easier to care for, it takes forever and a moon to tame my hair in the morning and I'm more conscious of my hair when it's shorter; more problem situations.

Mary

Practically Family
Would you please show a pic! I'd like to see this cut.
How much longer in the front is it.? I've been thinking about doing this to. :)

Lauren. I think it should be fairly easy to make som waves in the front on a daily basis in a shorter bob. But Ginger Rogers curls need a lot more hair and effort.

Lily Powers said:
After a couple of years with my hair slightly layered and below my shoulders, I went to the stylist, tucked it in my turtleneck and said, "this is how long I want my hair." It's fresher look (for me, anyway). It's a little past my chin and slightly longer in the front. The shorter (but not "short") length gives me more styling options because it's not being weighed down. And if you don't like your hair shorter, you can start growing it back right away. :)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
If its giving you a headache, I say cut it. My hair is thick and oh right at my shoulders, its that that time of year for me that my scalp is more sensitive and achey and my headache won't go away, so I'm getting ready to cut it even shorter. I'm never going to have longer hair agai it seems =(
My mom, whos hair is extremely fine, keeps her hair cut in what I guess could be considered a pixie, but just a tad bit longer.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have had very, very thick hair all my life and still do in my 50s. I wore hair down to my hiney for most of those years.
I used to get headaches also and half the time ended up in ponytails. Now mine is about an inch above my shoulders but fixing to get a bob myself. It is too hot.
Since you stated it has only been 2 years I am like you and hair grows like a weed. Why not.
no store promotions

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
It's just hair! It's one of the easiest things to change about the way you look and it grows back!

Lauren, if you have fine, straight hair, a properly cut, slightly layered bob might help give you some volume and texture! I have had bobs most of my life and unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to find someone who can cut them right. The best bob of my life was at a random hair salon in Paris, where she did the entire cut with a straight razor. This is the best way to do a bob, but few do. Call around and be sure to ask. The other thing you can look for is someone who is Vidal Sassoon trained - they are bob masters.

Lauren

Ok, you guys talked me into it :) I'm going to call today and set up an appointment. The guy who does my hair I trust completely- he's always done my hair and my mom's, and he did my hair for my wedding so I'm sure he'll do great! When I get it done I'll post a pic. Thank you so much everyone for your help and input! It really helped!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I'd say don't go too short straight away. Even in the salon, you can look at it and say, a bit more off, but not please put some back on!

I have fine hair too, although it doesn't really look it. It constantly surprises hairdressers when they get their hands on it! I ended up having a loose perm last December which gave it just the right amount of body to hold a tight set well. Toying with having it done again, as well as a bit loped off.
(Lauren and I are going to the same 1930s event - so we need hairdos that work!)

Because I have fine hair and a long face, I can't let mine get too long, or it drags my face down. Then I have to wear it up all the time. I'm also lazy about doing it everyday - work calls for ultra simple styles.

If you perm your hair, it still won't look like all the pics of 30s stars on it's own. You still have to set it! It's just the shorter the cut, the less wave you end up with when you brush it out, provided it's not permed ultra tight.

Lauren

Ok, I did it! He could fit me in today, so I went and brought a vintage early 30s hairstyle book I have with a few diagrams. I really love it! When it was wet he played with a fingerwave a bit. Here it is normal, but I'm going to try a wet set tonight, and we'll see how it goes. I like that I liked it even when nothing was done to it! Yay!!! Thank you so much everyone for your advice!
newhairs.jpg

newhairs2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen