Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Have and Have Not

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I just picked up this little gem. It was released on DVD last week. There is a neat documentry on Becall and her love affair with Bogart. I don't care for the cheap boxes Warner Brothers uses on most of their DVDs. They get it right when they come out with their super-dupper rerelease versions.

Never the less, To Have or Have Not is a must for true Bogie fans.

tohave.jpg

You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. -Slim

miss1934

Familiar Face
The chemistry between them is amazing. Aparently that look on his face in the "just put your lips together and blow" scene is genuine astonishment. Can you believe this was the first movie she had ever done?

miss1934

Familiar Face
a personal favorite of mine when it comes to Bogart is In a Lonely Place. Very, very dark, but so amazing. I made the mistake of reading the big sleep before seeing it, so I was unsure about the film the first few times I saw it, I've grown to love it now though.

Feraud

Bartender
miss1934 said:
a personal favorite of mine when it comes to Bogart is In a Lonely Place. Very, very dark, but so amazing. I made the mistake of reading the big sleep before seeing it, so I was unsure about the film the first few times I saw it, I've grown to love it now though.
Me too! It is hard to pick a favorite but this is a great (and overlooked?) film.
Nice choice.

Vanessa

One Too Many
It's been on TCM two or three times in the last month. . .the most recent the other night (where I watched it again and marvelled at how amazingly hot Lauren Bacall was in it).

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'm not a great fan of most of the Bogey/Bacall starrers. The chemistry everyone talks about seems awfully forced to me and even when it isn't I find it distracts from and even overwhelms the other elements of the film. Still, if you love gazing at star couples, and until Brangelina and Tomkat go silver-hued and fade into the sixty year past, then Bogey and Bacall are all six of the bees knees.

What I find interesting about this film is that the source material is so unfilmably unsuitable to the Hollywood treatment that the resultant film is much better than the novel (stories) by Ernest Hemingway. Now that's hard to process! Hollywood has not been overly kind to Hemingway's work over the years, with only one or two exceptions. But this book is a mess, so the film looks great by comparisson.

That is a classic line, though, about knowing how to whistle. :whistling

miss1934

Familiar Face
Hemmingway would later note that his favortie screen version of this book was infact not the To Have and Have not that we have grown to know and love, but the other version starring John Garfield. I too feel that In a Lonely Place is commonly overlooked. It has soooo many great film noir lines and seriously questions trust, love at first sight and what type of stress can love withstand. I personally love it and think it could almost be an example of a classic film noir except that Bogy is not the detective. The story is told even more objectively and that seems to strengthen it.
On the Bacall/Bogey Chemistry, it may seem forced, especialy in To Have and Have Not and The Big Sleep, but that is because she is playing characters in both films whose lifestlye and attitudes are complete front for their twisted lives.

Feraud

Bartender
Excuse me while I step :eek:fftopic: for a second..
miss1934 said:
I too feel that In a Lonely Place is commonly overlooked. It has soooo many great film noir lines and seriously questions trust, love at first sight and what type of stress can love withstand. I personally love it and think it could almost be an example of a classic film noir except that Bogy is not the detective. The story is told even more objectively and that seems to strengthen it.

Do not let the fact that Bogey is not a detective derail the idea of this being a classic Noir film. Bogey's character is a Hollywood screenwriter but his character has the angst and bad luck that makes him a perfect noir protagonist. His character Dixon Steele is a regular guy who due to circumstances beyond his control (his temper, a murdered girl) places him in a "no win" situation.
I was totally amazed at how great this film was when I first saw it. This thread reminds me I need to re-view it. ;)

Back to topic.

lindylady

A-List Customer
miss1934 said:
The chemistry between them is amazing. Aparently that look on his face in the "just put your lips together and blow" scene is genuine astonishment. Can you believe this was the first movie she had ever done?

And she was only 19 YEARS OLD at the time. Amazing. One of my favorite actresses and style icons. Class all the way :)

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
MK said:
Never the less, To Have or Have Not is a must for true Bogie fans.

tohave.jpg

You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. -Slim

I really agree with that. This is also the movie that I fell in love with Lauren Bacall.

Gray Ghost

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I agree with the statements above about Hemingway's novel. It was a mess. Any similarities between the original novel and the story as presented in the film were purely coincidental. Interestingly, the screenplay was written by William Faulkner.

bingolittle

New in Town
The Reno Kid said:
I agree with the statements above about Hemingway's novel. It was a mess. Any similarities between the original novel and the story as presented in the film were purely coincidental. Interestingly, the screenplay was written by William Faulkner.

...faulkner was down on his luck and did not do his best on this screenplay...several others had to step in and tie up loose ends...hoagy carmichael was a highlight along with walter brennan....great movie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran