Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To New Members!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAVIER

Practically Family
Glad to have found this nook on the web. I am a hat lover, got it from my daddy (RIP).... I look forward to learning, searching and enjoying the lost art of hat wearing. While I do not have any vintage hats, I like them, as well as the new lines that honor a past too often forgotten. I bet most you love the fact that you are known by your friends and relatives as the man with true style.. Hats being it :)

Last edited:

Pinkcoke

New in Town
Hello all,

I am a collector of ladies vintage clothing, shoes and acessories and lately I've found a few men's items I just couldn't pass by, two of which are hats (the other a tie), which brought me here. I'm hoping I can learn more about them here.
I guess I bought them because primarily they looked and felt old, second for the history I found hidden inside! I love the way all information is tucked away written on paper labels. Unfortunately neither fit me (inherited large head thanks to my father) so I'm interested from a collector's point of view rather than a wearer myself.
I'd like to know where is the best thread to post pictures and manufacturer's labels etc for dating purposes on this forum? I have found the 'new hats' and 'derby/bowler' threads amongst others but haven't read many successful replies to those looking for date opinions, there are many others of course but its not clear to a newbie where to go.

Mute

New in Town
I figure I should say hi. Also, I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. You've helped me a great deal in choosing my first hat. I'm waiting on Art Fawcett and hope to post some decent pictures when my time comes.

loftyk3

New in Town
Lurker uncovered - I have been a member for quite a while and have certainly benefited from the encyclopaedic knowledge on offer here.

Colonial schooling and a couple of decades in the military have ensured my head has been capped by a lid for most of my life. These days it is the more practical issues of shade and warmth that compel me to keep up the practice, but I must admit to some smug enjoyment of a fedora over a ball cap.

And on the subject of balls – I have recently needed to stretch on old hat. The only remaining millinery factory in country gave it a tweak and fitted a new sweat band and ribbon, but it still needed a bit more. In the absence of a hat block I settled on one of the kid’s soccer balls inflated inside the hat. It seems to have done the trick – I just had to suspend the soccer for a while..

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Lurker uncovered - I have been a member for quite a while and have certainly benefited from the encyclopaedic knowledge on offer here.

Colonial schooling and a couple of decades in the military have ensured my head has been capped by a lid for most of my life. These days it is the more practical issues of shade and warmth that compel me to keep up the practice, but I must admit to some smug enjoyment of a fedora over a ball cap.

And on the subject of balls – I have recently needed to stretch on old hat. The only remaining millinery factory in country gave it a tweak and fitted a new sweat band and ribbon, but it still needed a bit more. In the absence of a hat block I settled on one of the kid’s soccer balls inflated inside the hat. It seems to have done the trick – I just had to suspend the soccer for a while..

Welcome to the group and I have to applaud your UNIQUE solution to an oft found problem for folks ! :)

Erik Borda

New in Town
Well, ive did in the other thread, Introduction... Anyway, i will say in generall about me.
18 years old boy, fascinated about the golden age, a hat lover, elengance, suits, Frank Sinatra and everything related to that time... Well, you guys will see more about me as time goes by...
Thanks, Erik...

Dronak

Familiar Face
This thread is for questions. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?41576-Ask-a-question-get-an-answer

Here is a thread that lets you in on some of the 'TOP' threads on The Fedora Lounge. Please check it and check it often because I add links all the time. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?52584-Links-To-Important-Hat-Forum-Threads

Thanks for the info. I do like to search for previously posted answers to my questions before posting, which is mainly why I registered here (I wasn't able to search without an account). The Q&A thread is a good idea to help people get quick answers without starting tons of new threads. The top threads post is also good, as it can kind of serve like a FAQ. One thing I did notice though -- the very long thread on hat etiquette (All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette -- http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?894-All-You-Need-to-Know-About-Hat-Etiquette as I write) doesn't seem to be included. Given the length of that thread, would it be worth adding to the top threads list? I know that's what I was looking for when I found this forum.

Also, while the discussion there is very good -- I read most of it, skimming over some posts that didn't seem to be much on etiquette directly -- a summary might be good for newbies like me. While there may be some disagreement over some of the specifics and how closely to follow traditional rules today, I think the basics of don/doff would probably remain the same and could probably be summarized without too much opposition. I'm leaning towards hat on outdoors/public space, hat off indoors/private space, hat off to show respect as the basic guides. This seems to cover most of it, including typical exceptions (e.g., walking the mall is more public space, so it's OK to keep a hat on though it's indoors). Tipping seems to be another thing all together though. :) (Oh, and updating links there might be nice, too, as many internal forum links seem to have changed over the years, but I suppose that's an awful lot of work and not really necessary.)

Just some thoughts from a new member. Thanks for a forum full of information!

GratefulDawg

New in Town
Hi all,

I'm trying to post a couple photos of a hat I just bought, but the site will not allow me to do it. I've tried using images and a URL from Facebook, but nothing works. Help!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Dawg, I don't think Facebook allows linking to images that are on their servers.
You need to use a photo hosting site. I use SmugMug, but there are a lot of others. Some of the folks here use photobucket, others yfrog.

Once your pic is hosted, just get the URL for it and make sure it is in the image tags:

(with no spaces) and you should be good to go. Clicking on the little image icon with the tree in it will do the tags for you.

Shohei

Familiar Face
Hi and Thanks!

Thought I should drop a line or 3 and say howdy from a newb! New to the forum and to this burgeoning addiction with the lids! I bought new first (technically my wife did for me for xmas) but wondered if I should go vintage etc. My search led me here and lemme just say, I think I found a place to hang my hat for awhile. I have little I can add but lots to take away, so many thanks up front!

Cheers
Shohei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn