Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To patch-pocket or not to patch-pocket?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Loungers, I know there are more important things going on in the world but I'm a bit torn over the pockets in my upcoming Stockman order. I'm not sure whether to retain the patch pockets or have Cheyenne-style cargo pockets put in instead. Would welcome any thoughts on the stylishness or usefulness of the patch pockets. I'm already having slightly scalloped flaps put on.

Sir J

DonW

New in Town
I always prefer the patch pocket, when you put too much in your pocket, like I do!, the pocket bulges but not the coat, with the Cheyenne style pocket the bulge is internal and it makes the whole jacket bulge in that area. Also with the patch pocket both the inner and outer faces are leather so less chance of wearing holes in the fabric.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Isn't a cargo pocket a type of patch pocket? An A2 has cargo pockets doesn't it? I thought a recessed pocket is one that is internal to the jacket. Is that what you're referring to? I'm not a fan of the patch pocket, I prefer simple design in leather - a simple slash pocket looks best to me. But I'm not someone who carries any gear so I don't tend to use pockets in jackets.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Will Told me that one of their recently arrived machinists was ex Barbour so she would know how to do the big bellows pockets like on a wax jacket......maximum pocket space but not sure how it would look on one of those though...just a thought for you to consider.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Sir J,
I have a Stockman on order (I was told by Amanda2 weeks ago that I could collect it by Christmas but alas no call yet!), I specced outside pockets from a long half belt without the breast pocket, I thought that this was a more usable and more vintage spec' than the std patch pocket arrangement, hopefully it should be ready by week commencing 9th Jan' I could let you know how it turns out when I get it if you are interested.

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou