Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To the Tea Drinkers

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
Its a blend done in house at a Tea Parlor in Long Beach...they do ship however...and I could also get you some if you wanted to try it.

Hmm....tempting. However, I have too many teas right now, and need to drink them down. I'm pretty much not buying any more for the near future.

Thank you though!

VB

Vintage Betty

Lady Day said:
My favorite tea is Earl Grey. I even wanted to get the oil and prepare my own. I love black teas, and the clean robust taste of white teas. Not an herbal tea kinda girl.

Green on occasion.

LD

What about Jasmine teas?

Blended teas?

VB

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
Hmm....tempting. However, I have too many teas right now, and need to drink them down. I'm pretty much not buying any more for the near future.

Thank you though!

VB

Trust me...I am in much the same situation....when the tea is a whole shelf.....

Let me know later if you end up wanting some.

dnjan

One Too Many
not to sound too much of a purist ...

but this thread has mentioned beverages that are proper teas (ceylon, keemum, darjeeling, etc), flavoured teas (Earl Grey, jasmine, etc.) and herbal infusions (the various "medicinal" blends, as well as other good-tasting herbal blends).
Tea is made from Camellia sinensis, generally leaves or preferably buds.
Good tea is not cheap, but offers flavour complexity to rival the best wines.
Herbal infusions can be good, but are not tea.

Vintage Betty

dnjan said:
but this thread has mentioned beverages that are proper teas (ceylon, keemum, darjeeling, etc), flavoured teas (Earl Grey, jasmine, etc.) and herbal infusions (the various "medicinal" blends, as well as other good-tasting herbal blends).

HMr. Dnjan -

Have you tasted First Flush Tea? I was given some as a gift, and it blew my purty heels off. The best of the best is first pick from China and dated with year and region, just like wine.

What teas do you drink?

VB

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
dnjan said:

But -tisane- just takes too much effort to spell. ;)

I do not think anyone here was in any way disrespecting that tea is tea...

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Some of my friends call me an elitist tea drinker... lol ! I go black, almost all the way. I'll only drink green if I'm at a Moroccan restaurant. I'm a big fan of the Asaam from Upton Tea Imports , Darjeeling, and various breakfast blends, as well as Earl Grey when I'm feeling under the weather--not a big fan of the infusions and herbal-ness of grocery store teas, though.

Mike in Seattle

Lady Day said:
I dont know if its the US or all over, but I thought Id share this tale with you.
Ive gots me a sore throat. So, I go to the grocery store to pick up some chamomile and honey...

Put a couple aspirin in some warm water - about a mouthful - and when it's all dissolve, gargle with it. Sore throat gone.

AND if you think it's the sort of sore throat that's a sign of an oncoming cold, get thee to the drug store or well-stocked market and get some zinc lozenges. They're great for nipping a cold in the bud. Just let them slowly dissolve like a cough drop - they taste sort of lightly lemony.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
My wife and I are hard-core tea junkies as well. We currently have somewhere between 60 and 85 different kinds (one whole cupboard and two drawers full), most of which are single origin teas in different grades (mostly from Murchies Tea and Coffee Blenders in Vancouver and Victoria, BC) with a few herbal infusions thrown in for good measure.

Incidentally, Lipton blend teas have been around since before the golden age and depending on the grade, some are really quite splendid. We presently have yellow label, red label, and green label in the stash. If you haven't tried these three, I would highly recommend so doing as they are really good tea blends.

On a different not, when visiting the Peruvian Andies about 5 years ago, we drank made de coca, which is leaves from the coca plant that have been allowed to percolate in boiling water. This helps with altitude sickness as we were going from about 1000' to 13,000-14,500' and is a common drink in all th coffee shops and restraunts there. It actually seemed to work and was quite pleasant to drink. If you want to get the cocaine substance out of the leaf, you have to chew it with lime, which we elected NOT to do, as the boiling water treatment does not extract this chemical at all. Anyway, the day before we came home my wife wanted to purchase some of this refreshing beverage from a market to bring back with us - until I pointed out that customs might have a small problem with it. Something that apparently had not occurred to her.:eusa_doh: lol

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
The best sore throat cure I have ever come across is a "tea" made with sage leaves, just like you would use in poultry stuffing. It is best to use the whole or chopped leaves as the powdered stuff just is gross. After allowing to steep, drink this "tea" and your sore throat will be gone right away and will stay gone for hours. It tastes a bit odd but it works every time. I keep a zip-lock baggy in my desk at work which sometimes generates odd looks when I open that drawer and someone else can see it.:p

pgoat

One Too Many
%7BD4A4C383-7D06-4B9E-B3D9-3668680F2FDE%7D_Image1_YTOcutout.jpg

My wife and I are absolutely addicted to a big steaming cuppa Yorkshire tea every AM (much nicer than the two or three cups of uber strong coffee I used to down before dawn in my twenties and early thirties) and we like various Celestial Seasonings herbal infusions (as opposed to proper tea) in the evening. We were, however distressed to see the box designs change recently....that was a big part of the fun drinking CS.

I was even more distressed when they stopped making "Emperor's Choice" some years ago - that stuff was the infusion/bomb.

Just Fyi for any fellow insomniacs (he typed at 1:20 am), SleepyTime Chamomile now comes with Valerian Root ("Sleepytime Extra"). ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
sweetfrancaise said:
Some of my friends call me an elitist tea drinker... lol ! I go black, almost all the way. I'll only drink green if I'm at a Moroccan restaurant.....Earl Grey when I'm feeling under the weather--not a big fan of the infusions and herbal-ness of grocery store teas, though.

My kind of tea drinker :D

LD

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
Feng Li,

i would suggest heading over to: Alberta Co-op on NE Alberta and 15th (my favorite place to shop); People's Co-op on SE 21st(?) north of Powell; or Limbo on SE 39th south of Holgate. Mountain Rose Herbs is a good online resource, based out of Eugene.

Thanks very much! I will be sure to check at least one of those out.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
I'm not what you'd call a tea purist, and I admit to quite liking the looseleaf vanilla flavoured tea that I've tried. Lipton vanilla tea bags are quite another matter, though. I've never come across such an artificial smell - it was enough to put me off drinking it.

A new tea shop has recently opened up near me, though, and I'm definitely planning to try some teas I've never tried before - rooibos etc. I think I'll draw the line at creme brulee flavoured black tea, though. :eusa_doh:

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
pgoat said:
%7BD4A4C383-7D06-4B9E-B3D9-3668680F2FDE%7D_Image1_YTOcutout.jpg

My wife and I are absolutely addicted to a big steaming cuppa Yorkshire tea every AM (much nicer than the two or three cups of uber strong coffee I used to down before dawn in my twenties and early thirties) and we like various Celestial Seasonings herbal infusions (as opposed to proper tea) in the evening. We were, however distressed to see the box designs change recently....that was a big part of the fun drinking CS.
I was even more distressed when they stopped making "Emperor's Choice" some years ago - that stuff was the infusion/bomb.

Just Fyi for any fellow insomniacs (he typed at 1:20 am), SleepyTime Chamomile now comes with Valerian Root ("Sleepytime Extra"). ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

I'm very interested to try the new Sleepytime tea with valerian root. I drink the old Sleepytime, and I could have done with extra knockout power last year. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We serve the Tazo line of teas at the theatre concession stand (http://www.tazo.com), and I try to keep their Earl Grey, Darjeeling, and "Awake!" blends in stock at all times, while rotating a selection of the more exotic blends. Of all the blends we've offered, though, Earl Grey is by far the best seller. Very bracing, especially on a cold winter night.

My own choice at home, though, is plain old Red Rose. It's the tea I grew up with -- I still have some of the trading cards that used to come in the boxes when I was a wee one -- and I couldn't imagine starting my day without it. When I'm first out of bed, I don't want subtlety -- I want a good stiff cup of straight caffeine.

pgoat

One Too Many
Fancy Mouse said:
I'm very interested to try the new Sleepytime tea with valerian root. I drink the old Sleepytime, and I could have done with extra knockout power last year. lol

It's not very powerful (I was up another hour last night!)- a little more soothing, I think, and my wife and I agree both types taste identical. The 'extra' can't hurt!:)

You could also buy Valerian extract and put a few drops into any tea or other drink. I tried this many years ago when I couldn't sleep and it worked for awhile (I think I built up an tolerance, and had to keep adding more)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24