Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To wax or not to wax ????

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
As a girl with fair skin, dark hair and unfortunate genes, I would have to shave my legs every day otherwise I'd get a 5 o'clock shadow. Waxing was good only for a couple of weeks then I would spend several weeks covering up til the hair was long enought to wax again.

I still shave but less often due to the fact that I bought a home laser kit, best thing I ever did, I've only done a few treatments but my leg hair is probably 50% of what it was.

Bikini/brazilian does get done regularly just cause I like it that way. Brows I pluck but am going to try the threading as I'm really bad at shaping brows.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I use an epilator, and love it. Its like waxing, but you don't need to wait as long to grow them out. First time hurts like a mo fo though!

Annichen

Familiar Face
Oh god, I hate wax!
I used to do it a lot but it is scratchy business.
I am attacking this un-glamorous fur with sci-fi lasers from H**l:mad:
*poof*
Until it is all gone I'll stick to the good 'ol sharp things;)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Scarlet said:
A funny little story, art critic Ruskin, in the 1800s could not consumate his marriage to his wife. They ended up having the marriage annulled. It turned out he wouldn't touch her because he thought she was abnormal...having hairy lady bits. He'd only ever seen Renaissance paintings where women had no hair down below. Men are funny little things.

:eek:fftopic: It's not a particularly funny story. In this very interesting book she describes a significant amount of emotional abuse as Ruskin tried to convince Effie that she was deformed and perverse for wanting him to have sex with her. From Ruskin's other relationships, it looks like he preferred prepubescent girls. Effie went on to marry Millais, the Pre-Raphaelite painter and they seem to have had a very happy sex life.
/rant

Personally I long for the day when there is a really reliable permanent depilatory. Shaving and waxing is such a bore.

Foofoogal

Banned
It truly is amazing someone has not come up with a better idea to remove hair. :eusa_doh:
I shall never understand why some things are so not modern.
I feel the same about sheetrock. Surely someone has enough brains to figure out a better idea.

I know there is laser but I mean at home by the average person.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
You know my doc told me the other day he thought mamograms caused more cancer than they are worth because bombarding women with all that radiation surely can't be good.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
:eek:fftopic: It's not a particularly funny story. In this very interesting book she describes a significant amount of emotional abuse as Ruskin tried to convince Effie that she was deformed and perverse for wanting him to have sex with her. From Ruskin's other relationships, it looks like he preferred prepubescent girls. Effie went on to marry Millais, the Pre-Raphaelite painter and they seem to have had a very happy sex life.
/rant

Sorry I didn't mean funny in a sense of hilarious, but funny in the sense of quirky. I know it was off topic, but I didn't mean to offend anyone by it, just thought I'd share it with people. I think that books sounds like my sort of book so I'll have to look into getting it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Catarina

New in Town
Interesting article GoddessMama. I had always thought the [almost obsessive] dislike and removal of pubic hair was an "invention" of modern times. I guess the "brazilian" could be called the "ancient greek" hehe
Having dark, thick hairs, i also started shaving my legs young, 11 maybe 12 (the first time in secret, with an old rusty razor i found lost in a cabinet!! :eusa_doh: ). I shaved my lower legs and armpits religiously, and they did grow thicker, and in more quantity. I could never really successfully wax the legs - too painful, spider veins, the works- but i did start waxing the underarms at 19 and it got less and less painful over time, and i got less and less hairs. I'd only need to wax every month or so and the hairs weren't noticeable from afar. I used the brand Surgi-wax, they changed the formula a few years back but i still highly recommend.
Anyways, i always felt self conscious about my body hair so a year and a half ago i started laser hair removal and the results have been very good. I'm doing pretty much all hair on my body, so it's costing a small fortune but very worth it.
On the "to remove or not to remove" question, i think it should be a personal choice. If you don't wanna do it, to hell with any nay-sayers or scoffers-at [huh]

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Scarlet said:
Sorry I didn't mean funny in a sense of hilarious, but funny in the sense of quirky. I know it was off topic, but I didn't mean to offend anyone by it, just thought I'd share it with people. I think that books sounds like my sort of book so I'll have to look into getting it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh sorry - I meant my grumpy ranting was off topic. It's a really interesting book; you'll never look at Charles Dickens the same way again! But it gave me a very strong dislike for Ruskin. And Ruskin's mother.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Catarina said:
i also started shaving my legs young, 11 maybe 12 (the first time in secret, with an old rusty razor i found lost in a cabinet!! :eusa_doh: ).

Me too- though I used my Dad's razor- he wasn't happy about it. I hate body hair, especially the 'lady garden' (I love that phrase)- always have from the earliest age- for me it's got to be a 'hollywood'. I have an epilator - I love it, I don't find it painful at all (apart from the aformentioned)- and I can do it whilst I'm watching TV! I swear the hair is growing back less and less.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Same here - I started fairly young, with both arms and legs, and getting a sound telling off when I was found out. To this day I still have an aversion to body and facial hair, although a small "lady garden" (I love that! lol ) is acceptable to me. I split between warm sugar waxing and the razor. I'd love to be able to leave it all just as is as a two fingers up to convention, but I can confidently say that it's really just that I don't like either the feel or the look of it, on women or men. Cheeky pencil moustaches excepted!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I epilate my legs some of the time but find my armpits way too sensitive. I got a 'sicilian' wax (they do all the underneath and your 'back bits' but leave a more natural triangle rather than the little strip up top) a couple of weeks ago as it was my boyfriend's 40th (I'll do it for the occasional treat but won't put myself through that regularly just for some weird messed up aesthetic we've all got sucked into!) and when it started to grow back a few days later I thought I'd try using my epilator, thinking that as it was only a few millimetres long it wouldn't hurt so much. But MY GOD it was excrutiating... and the terror that I would catch something delicate and precious in it was a pretty compelling reason to stop too! You gals who epilate your undercarriage must be seriously hard as nails! You have my admiration for your teeth-gritting determination.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
OMG no kidding! The epilator down there has got to be the most dangerous painfull thing imaginable! I tryed once, never again! I believe that area is best left to the proffesionals!

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Pain doesn't even begin to describe epilating down there. I have fortunately trained myself to do the majority of the top growth (if that makes sense) and around the underneath, but any closer and it is just too painful, even screaming doesn't help, so I just shave the rest off. But the initial epilating really does wonders with lack of grow back and means I have to shave less area.

I have to admit I do indulge in letting everything grow (when the other half is away) just to indulge in that gorgeous fresh feeling when you de-hair. Am I the only one who enjoys this?

MissHannah

One Too Many
To quote SATC - "I like a full bush" lol I feel more womanly that way, but it's fun every now and then to have smooth bits!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
40'sfetish said:
I still shave but less often due to the fact that I bought a home laser kit, best thing I ever did, I've only done a few treatments but my leg hair is probably 50% of what it was.

They sell those? How easy are they to use? I bet they're kindof pricey, but I think a brilliant plan would be to get all your friends, pool some money, do your treatments and send it to the next person in line when you're done :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic