Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today in History

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Tear jerker. The byliner, Ethelda Bedford, was likely the Record's sob sister (an acceptable, tho not official, feminine beat, along with home and society pages).

Could a married couple, by 1934 standards, be said to "tryst"?

And is there a punctuation mark missing in there somewhere? I'm familiar with the "tabloid 3rd person plural" (understood subject), but something looks wrong here.

Finally, I was a little disappointed that the "tryst" didn't involve Norma Shearer.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
May 13, 1937

370513.jpg

180 MILLIONS HEAR KING'S CORONATION SPEECH

By Webb Miller, Copyright 1937 by United Press

London, May 12 -- King George VI, crowned and consecrated in a beautiful centuries-old ritual at Westminster Abbey, dedicated himself tonight to a reign of service to the British Empire, and to the cause of "peace and progress." To subjects throughout the vast Empire and to all the peoples of the earth, the new King made his pledge in a radio address from Buckingham Palace.

As the Monarch himself noted, it was the first time that a newly-crowned king had been able to speak thus to all his people. The address, in which the King spoke with long pauses, hesitating noticeably on three occasions, climaxzed a long day of coronation rites and celebrations in which millions took part.

(Broadcasting companies in the United States estimated that 180,000,000 persons in all quarters of the Earth heard the King's address.)

In the greatest crush old London has ever known, two died, and at 6 P. M. the St. John's Ambulance Brigade's toiling staff reported it had treated 9,593 persons for light injuries or fainting spells, 302 for more serious injuries, and sent 162 to hospitals.

In ancient Westminster Abbey, the King and Queen were anointed and enthroned with elaborate pageantry before 7,700 subjects and foreign representatives. Their procession back to the palace wound through six miles of London's streets around which millions were packed to acclaim their loyalty.

Those manifestations of love for him and the Queen, the King said tonight, "have filled our hearts to overflowing."

The daylong enthusiasm of London's crowds knew no bounds, at 9 P. M. (4 P. M. New York) the King and Queen made their second appearance of the day on the palace balcony in response to the insistent cheers of more than 10,000 who had remained there despite the rain. George and Elizabeth waved in acknowledgment of the repeated and tumultuous shouts. "I will say only this," the King continued, speaking slowly in a strong resonant voice reminiscent of his father's, "that if in coming years I can show my gratitude in service to you, that is the way, above all others, I should choose."

BRITAIN'S "OTHER KING" AT RADIO FOR CORONATION

Monts, France, May 12 -- The Duke of Windsor -- a king who was never crowned -- wrapped a dressing gown around himself today and sat down in a kitchen beside a sputtering wireless set that brought him news from London of all the things he gave up for love.

Beside him, nervous and anxious perhaps, was Mrs. Wallis Warfield, who soon will be the Duchess of Windsor -- a woman who probably came closer to being England's Queen than any other American ever has or will.

But it was a gay party in the midst of a grey wet day on which the wind whistled around the walls of the Castle Cande and rain went tat-tat-tat against the windows.

"I must insist that the Duke is not sad today," said a member of the entourage. "I really believe he is profoundly that his brother is being crowned."

BROKEN PROPELLER BLADE THEORY STIRS ZEP PROBE

By Fred Palsey and Sloan Taylor

A shattered propeller blade hurtled from an 1,100 horsepower motor with terrific centrifugal force and sliced into the vitals of the giant Hindenburg to ignite a gas cell by friction -- that was the new theory developed at Lakehurst yesterday as the Department of Commerce inquiry board swung into high in its investigation of the tragedy that shocked the world.

The propeller angle, indicating a structural defect hitherto unsuspected in the German leviathan of the skies, took expert observers completely by surprise. It was sprung by Major Rudolph W. Schroeder during the examinaton of Lieut. Benjamin May, U. S. N.m assistant mooring officer stationed at the top of the 75-foot No. 1 mooring mast, toward which the Hindenburg was heading at the time of the fire and explosion.

Closely following it came the disclosure for the first time that sparks were streaming from the port side aft engine split seconds before the ship burst into flames. The witness who told of this significant circumstance was Lieut. Richard Andrews, in charge of the ground crew party assigned to the control car.

All four of the Naval officers who testified today confirmed Commander Charles E. Rosendahl in his opinion that static is a remote possibility as a cause of the fire. Lieut. Raymond Tyler, mooring officer in charge of the ground crew, even asserted the trailer ropes thrown from the ship were so dry that clouds of dust arose when they hit the soaking wet ground.

MINUS NIGHTIE, DISMAYS COPS

The ultimate in strip-teasing was displayed to flabbergasted cops in Darien, Conn. early yesterday by none other than Mrs. Ethel Smith Atwell Tolley, who champions the wearing of as few clothes as possible.

The good-looking ex-wife of stuttering Roy Atwell, stage and radio comedian, whose didoes caused her to be barred from bohemian Westport, Conn., was driving down the Post Road at 4:40 A. M. when she ran smack into a truck owned by Musante, Berman, and Steinberg, fruit and produce dealers in Bridgeport.

Policemen John Cochrane and Harold Curtis said she was drunk, and carried her to the town hoosegow. "You can't put me in a cell!" she protested to Chief Edward Tinker. "I haven't got my negligee with me and I always -- but always -- sleep in the raw!"

Chief Tinker refused to be swayed, and a cell door was slammed on Ethel. She was as good as her word. And there it rested. Except that Ethel did get dressed at mid-day, when she woke up. At dusk she was waiting for someon to post a $350 bond.

Her escapade was only one of many that have made life far more gay along the North Shore. Back some months ago, the vivacious Ethel was being wooed by two suitors. One was Cecil Tolley, whom she subsequently married in Harrison N. Y., when the judges of Connecticut objected to her wedding attire of shorts.

GIMBELS MAY SALE!

Special!! 5000 Quarts 3 Year Old PARKLEIGH De Luxe Straight Bourbon 90 Proof WHISKEY -- At This Low Price! Made to sell for $2.38 -- $1.84 QUART!

Our introductory offer of a great whiskey -- smooth, mellow, well-matured in new charred oak casks.

Limited quantity of pints at 98c -- made to sell for $1.24!

Distilled by National Distillers

SPECIAL CASE PRICE - $21.49 for 12 QUARTS!

Mail or Phone Orders Filled as Received. Call PEnn. 6-6333.

LISTENING IN

By Ben Gross

The climax of the long Coronation broadcast came during the impressive ceremonials in Westminster Abbey. Most of the British commentators were somewhat casual in their descriptions. They lacked the fire and verve of the American brand of mike chatterers. But there was one representative of the BBC in the Abbey who rose to dramatic heights as he described the various phases of the age-hallowed ritual. The reception, save for a certain hollowness produced by the vast spaces of the sacred edifice, was remarkably clear.

Much has been written about the stammering of the King. But in his speech yesterday he showed none of it. True enough, he spoke haltingly, with pauses almost between each word, as if it were an effort to speak. But each syllable was clearly enunciated and delivered with punctilious regard for pronunciation. Incidentally, the King has far less of what we in this country regard as a British accent than some of the announcers!

$2 APIECE FOR EMBARRASSING MOMENTS

The News will pay $2 for every letter published on "The Most Embarrassing Moment Of My Life." Address "Embarrassing Moments," The News, 220 E. 42nd Street, New York, N. Y.

We are a dance team. During a dinner show, my partner and I were doing a rather simple spin in one of our numbers when we heard someone loudly applauding us. We acknowledged the applause, then continued with the dance number. When the rest of the guests started to laugh, I turned to find that the "applause" was only the sound of an irate dinner guest trying to get catsup out of a bottle. -- THE BARRYS, Richmond Hotel, Manhattan.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
May 14, 1937

370514.jpg

BIBLE TEACHER ADMITS 3 SLAYINGS FOR GIRL

Trapped by irregular license plates and bloodstains in his auto, Lester Brockelhurst, 23-year-old Illinois desperado and former Sunday School teacher, late yesterday startled state police at Brewster, N. Y., by promptly confessing the holdup murders of three men during the past six weeks. Two of the slayings occured in the Midwest and one in Texas.

Seized with Brockelhurst was pretty Bernice Felton, 24, of Rockford, Ill., said by police to have been his companion during his brief but spectacularly cold-blooded crime career. Brockelhurst turned to crime to provide his sweetheart with thrills, according to police.

The dangerous couple were stopped at Dover Plains, north of Brewster, by State Trooper Joseph Hunt, because the car they were driving had only one license plate -- a Pennsylvania tag hanging at the rear. Hunt supposed he had to deal only with a careless motorist until he saw deep bloodstains on the upholstery of the car.

The trooper realized his full peril only after he found a fully-loaded .32 caliber pistol on Brockelhurst and heard him confess the following slayings:

March 31 -- Albin J. Thealander, a tailor in Rockford, Ill., hometown of the backsliding Sunday School instructor and his sweetheart. Thelander was killed for his car.

April 28 -- Jack Griffiths, tavern keeper, in Fort Worth, Tex. Brockelhurst told his captors he shot a man who had "intervened on behalf of a man I was holding up." He fled without learning whether Griffiths was wounded or killed. Texas officers wired that Griffiths had died.

May 5 -- Victor Gates of Little Rock, Ark., shot in the back of the head on the highway between Little Rock and Memphis, Tenn. Gates' body was dumped from the machine after Brockelhurst had taken his belongings. Brockelhurst gave Gates' watch to a toll bridge keeper at Hope, Ark. when he couldn't pay the toll for passing.

It was Gates' machine in which the gun-toting ex-Bible-scholar and his girlfriend were seized. Gates' bloodstains led to their arrest.

The two prisoners were taken to Brewster for preliminary questioning. When Brockelhurst readily told the story of his crimes, the pair were removed to the State Police Barracks at Hawthorne, Westchester.

12 HURT AS COPS BATTLE CIO STRIKERS

(Special To The News)

Pittsburgh, May 13 -- Eleven men and one woman were injured today when police used clubs and tear gas against strikers of the Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation in Aliquippa, 20 miles from here.

Gov. George H. Earle ordered all liquor bars in the area closed, and boarded a plane for Pittsburgh.

Aliquippa, scene of many bitter labor battles, again saw blood in the streets. Mrs. Mary Sambal, 46, wife of a steel worker and mother of six children, is said to have struck Police Chief W. L. Ambrose in the head with her umbrella. He then beat her on the head with his nightstick, and the battle was on. Police fired tear gas at angry pickets who witnessed the clubbing. One man was taken to a hospital and eight were injured.

BRITISH DESTROYER HITS MINE OFF SPAIN, 8 KILLED

By United Press

Gibraltar, May 13 -- The British destroyer Hunter was badly damaged, eight of her crew were reported killed, and 12 others injured today in an explosion supposedly caused when she struck a rebel mine five miles off the southern Spanish coast. The British Admiralty said the cause of the explosion was unknown, but the Loyalist Spanish Government at Valencia, up the easter Mediterranean coast, said the Hunter struck a mine.

DUKE FIGHTS TO GIVE WALLY TITLE

By Associated Press

London, May 13 -- Former King Edward's demand that Wallis Warfield become "Her Royal Highness" when she marries him was said tonight to have stirred up a dispute with the Government that may endanger his hope of returning some day to England.

The Government is willing that Mrs. Warfield be known as the Duchess of Windsor when she becomes the Duke's bride some time in June. But it draws the line at the three little words which would rank her with the Duchess of Kent and the commoner-born Duchess of Gloucester, wives of the younger brothers of Edward and King George VI.

There were reports that "some members" of the Royal Family also opposed the designation, but Edward is said to be insistent on coupling the two parts of the title, "Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Windsor."

King George, the Duke of Kent, the Princess Royal, and Queen Mother Mary have been reported in sympathy with the Duke's wishes. Opposition is said to come from the newly-crowned Queen Elizabeth, who is as common-born as Mrs. Warfield and the Duchess of Gloucester.

The United Press reported last night that the King had issued a stern "royal command" to his exiled brother, informing the Duke that the royal family would have something to say about where he and Mrs. Warfield would reside after their marriage.

SOUND REASONS FOR DRINKING GUINNESS

If all be true that I do think,
There are five reasons we should drink --
Good brew -- a friend -- or being dry --
Or lest we should be by-and-by
Or any other reason why!

-- Adapted from Henry Aldrich (1647-1710)

Were the genial poet alive today, or had he been living even in 1759, he would have found in Guinness the answer to all his requirements.

GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU

Since 1759

GINGER, FRED DANCE AGAIN AT MUSIC HALL

By Kate Cameron

* * * 1/2*

SHALL WE DANCE, Radio picture, screen play by Allan Scott and Ernest Pagano from story by Lee Loeb and Harold Buchman, directed by Mark Sandrich, and presented at Radio City Music Hall

For the seventh time in the last four years, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers make their appearance together as the tappers of the screen, to the lively rhythm of George Gershwin's music, in "Shall We Dance."

Their newest musical comedy, which was well received in its initial showing at the Music Hall yesterday lacks the spontaneity of "Top Hat," "Swing Time," and "The Gay Divorcee." Neither has it the hearty humor of those films. But it is a light, gay romance and the dancing is all that any devotee of rhythm could hope for. The Gershwin isn't as tuneful as the Berlin and Kern scores were, but it has a rhythm that makes a perfect accompaniment to the Astaire-Rogers taps.

Mr. Astaire demonstrates his great versatility by slipping from tap to ballet, and from the latter technique to an eccentric mechanical dance, for which he is accompanied by the rhythmic hum and motion of a ship's engine room. The latter dance, the trickiest of them all, was a solo. Miss Rogers partnered him in several graceful ballroom numbers and in an amusing roller-skate sequence in which they both prove as agile on skates as in their dancing shoes.

The May issue of "The March of Time", consisting of three subjects -- one a study of the Irish republic of today, the second showing the present status of unemployment in this country, and the third on the vogue for picture puzzle contests, is also on the Music Hall program this week.

The stage show, entitled "May in London," reproduces the coronation celebration against a gaily colorful background of British flags and emblems.

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE

Burned Up By Baldwin

Queens -- God bless the new King of England, and the coronation exercises were very beautiful over the air -- until that troublemaker Stanley Baldwin opened his big mouth. How dare he, after he and his followers deprived the real King of his throne, and degraded a charming woman who was more fit to be Queen than Elizabeth? -- BRITISH AMERICAN

Advice to Fair Sex

Bronx -- If some women had any brains, they would never marry the men they do. How many women can truthfully say they have model husbands? Most of them attach themselves to no-account worthless bums. These bums are without any ambition, have no objective in life, and are a burden to themselves and their wives. If a woman cannot annex an ambitious, successful man, she should stay single and consider herself lucky. -- L. ALLEN KERPEN JR.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The News said:
The good-looking ex-wife of stuttering Roy Atwell, stage and radio comedian, whose didoes caused her to be barred from bohemian Westport, Conn.
I had to look twice to make sure that was didoes.

di⋅do /ˈdaɪdoʊ/ –noun, plural -dos, -does. Usually, didos, didoes. Informal.
1. a mischievous trick; prank; antic.
2. a bauble or trifle.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
May 15, 1937

370515.jpg

POPE TO ASK PEACE IN BILBAO CARNAGE

By United Press

Paris, May 14 -- Diplomats said tonight that the Vatican had offered to mediate between Rebel and Loyalist Catholics in an attempt to end the bloody fighting around Bilbao. The Basque mission here admitted that certain non-Spanish intermediaries have proposed peace or an armistice.

Pope Pius XI has been deeply affected by the slaughter, which has taken a toll of 15,000 Loyalists alone, according to Rebel figures.

An unnamed European power -- likely Britiain -- was reported prepared to act as guarantor for intervention. "It is true that certain foreign intermediaries have sounded out Bilbao quite recently with the most generous terms offered thus far, but the Basques have only one attitude -- no separate peace," the Basque spokesman said.

Rebel Generalissimo Francisco Franco insisted there could be no armisitice or peace until the Basques withdrew all armed forces west of the Nervion River, removing Bilbao and its 340,00 refugees from the category of a war city.

'THRILL GIRL,' 18, TO FACE CHAIR IN 3 MURDERS

Like an avenging angel, the death penalty poised last night over the head of 18-year-old Bernice Felton, whose Sunday School sweetheart murdered three men on a "honeymoon" tour to sate her appetite for thrills and pretty clothes. Expectant motherhood, claimed by the high school honor graduate -- but still to be confirmed by a physician's examination -- will not save her from the electric chair if a jury in Arkansas chooses to inflict the extreme penalty.

Three states and the Federal Government were fighting to wrest the girl and her braggart inamorata, baby-faced Lester Brockhurst, 23, from the custody of State Police and the District Attorney's office at Poughkeepsie. Arkansas filed a murder charge against Brockelhurst and the equally-serious charge of accessory against the girl. District Attorney Joe P. Melton of Lonoke County, Ark., said that both charges carry an optional death penalty. The hitch-hike murder of a real estate man, Victor Gates of Lonoke, is charged.

Frantically trying to absolve herself, the girl said "The car had stopped along the road. I got out. I heard a shot, but I didn't see the killing until I came back and the body was in the front seat."

This murder, like the others, Brockelhurst confessed, was engineered out of the dual motives of avarice and braggadocio. He wanted to show his sweetheart how manly and brave he was, he told state police when they brought him to Poughkeepsie at midnight.

WALLY RANK TO BE 8th IN ALL ENGLAND

By Associated Press

London, May 14 -- The official ranking to be awarded Mrs. Wallis Warfield after her marriage to the Duke of Windsor apparently has been fixed by changing the position emblematic of the Duke's membership in the Order of the Garter.

The banner, it was disclosed today, has been secretly removed from its former position in St. George's Chapel, Windsor, to a place behind those of his three younger brothers, thus automatically ranking the former King Edward below King George VI, the Duke of Gloucester, and the Duke of Kent.

This, it was stated in authoritative circles, would make the future Duchess of Windsor the eighth-ranking lady in the realm, yielding precedence only to the present Queen, Elizabeth; the Queen Mother, Mary; Princess Elizabeth, the Heiress Presumptive; Princess Margaret Rose, the King's second child; the Princess Royal, sister of the King; the Duchess of Gloucester, wife of the third Windsor brother; and the Duchess of Kent, wife of the youngest brother.

COURT BARS DIVORCE FOR CHAPLIN'S EX

By United Press

Los Angeles, May 14 -- Short-lived Hollywood marriages had an antagonist today in Judge Charles S. Burnell, who denied a divorce to Lita Grey Chaplin Aguirre on her charge of mental cruelty.

The former wife of Charlie Chaplin and mother of his two sons was married eight months ago to Henry Aguirre Jr., and demanded a divorce because "he wouldn't work," and called her the "meanest woman in the world."

"It seems to me," the judge said, "that all that can be said is that this woman, in good old Hollywood custom, fooled around with a husband for a few months -- and there is probably someone else in the offing, although there is no evidence of that in this case -- and this court won't lend itself to that sort of thing."

The judge asked her whether it was true that she was "the meanest woman in the world."

"I wouldn't know," she replied. "That's for other people to decide."

Aguirre, a vaudeville dancer billed under the name Hank Brown, contested the divorce. He said he haunted booking offices looking for work. The judge asked him to speak louder.

"I've got stage fright," he mumbled.

COURT UPHOLDS CHICAGO BOUT

Max Schmeling and Madison Square Garden took the count yesterday when Federal Judge Guy L. Fake delivered a knockout blow and denied the application of the Garden for a temporary injunction to restrain Jim Braddock from defending his title against Joe Louis at Comiskey Park, Chicago, June 23. The decision, unless appeal overrules Judge Fake, means the Chicago bout is definitely set, and that Schmeling will be boxing shadows in the Garden bowl if he persists in continuing training and shows up June 3 for his once-scheduled meeting with the champion.

When the case was argued before the federal judge several weeks ago, the Garden contended Braddock was under contract to fight the Teuton for it in the Bowl. But Braddock's lawyers argued the injunction might force him to "remain for the rest of his life under an injunction not to fight again." Under the terms of three overlapping contracts, the Garden maintained Jim should fight Maxie before meeting Louis.

Jimmy Johnston, Garden promoter, made no comment yesterday, but the promoters of the Louis fight in Chicago were naturally enthusiastic over the decision. Joe Foley, promoter with Mike Jacobs, said "We're all set to go!" and announced mail orders for tickets would be accepted. Top price is $27.50, and the promoters expect 80,000 people to pay $900,000 for the battle.

HARLEM'S HIGH SPOT FOR COLORED SHOWS -- APOLLO THEATRE -- 125th St. Near 8th Ave. -- Tel. UNiversity 4-4490

Today to Thurs. Inclusive -- Continuous Performances

BLANCHE CALLOWAY & BAND & REVUE

4 INK SPOTS

Midnite Show Tonite -- Reserved Seats

Every Wed. Nite -- Amateur Nite -- Broadcast -- Midnite Show Every Sat.

REVUE CAST! COMEDIANS!! DANCERS!!! CHORUS!!!!

Evenings 25c -- 40c. Except Wednesdays and Sat. Eves. Reserved Seats 25c to 55c

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE

Aristocratic Rebuke

Queens -- It is astounding to me how anybody could get so many darn fool statements into one small editorial -- that one about the Coronation. Many an old southern family, such as George Washington, would be much surprised to learn they come from "the commonest kind of commoners." My family, for instance, has two or three coats of arms to prove that it was of the nobility. I don't suppose one man writes all your editorials, because one man couldn't possibly be so stupid. Don't ever do away with your comic strips or your circulation will drop below that of the Bronx Home News. How I pity you. --- NORMAN D. OLMSTEAD

Had a Thin Time

Brooklyn -- Take my advice, girls, and beware of going out with Coney Island fellows. They make a date with you, and think your idea of a good time is to gobble hot dogs and go to one of their stuffy little cellar club rooms for a sociable evening. Horrors! -- TWO EXPERIENCED GIRLS

Richie Is Displeased

Manhattan: You worm-eaten purveyors of yellow journalism talk about being men? Why, you despicable rats, you're too yellow to sign your names to the editorial slop you scribble -- I won't dignify it by calling it writing. No more News for me, and furthermore every chance I get I shall spit on your rotten paper. I would like to meet you yellow dogs sometime and would enjoy socking the guts out of you. -- RICHIE SNYDER, Golden Gloves 1928

Thank You, Pal

Harrison, N. J. -- Plenty of Voice contributors call your paper a dirty rag, but I think they're nuts. The News is always first, with news, pictures, interesting articles, up-to-the-minute features, comic strips, and departments. -- JAMES EDWARD FERRIERO

LizzieMaine

Bartender
370516.jpg

150,000 READY TO SRIKE IN 3 HUGE STEEL PLANTS

By United Press

Pittsburgh, May 15 -- The Steel Workers' Organizing Committee was authorized tonight to call strikes in the nation's three largest independent steel companies, employing more than 150,000 workers, or nearly one-third the total employment in the industry.

The strike threat was made to back up demands for written collective bargaining contracts, similar to the agreements signed with the United States Steel Corporation, and more than a hundred smaller concerns.

In emergency session here, leaders of the steel union committee, a branch of the CIO, received word that a Bethlehem Steel union lodge had authorized a "strike at any time" at all Bethlehem plants. Previously, union lodges had empowered SWOC Chairman Philip Murray to call strikes in the plants of Republic Steel Corporation and Youngstown Sheet and Tube.

LANDING ROPE ON ZEP FOULED, SAYS RIGGER AT PROBE

By Fred Pasley

For the first time since the start of the Hindenburg investigation, an expert witness was produced yesterday at the Lakehurst hearing whose testimony indicated all was not well aboard the giant dirigible prior to the fire and explosion.

A hitch occurred in the landing operations when a manila rope attached to a steel mooring cable in the stern of the ship was fouled between two wires. It was necessary to pull it back and untangle it before the operation could be resumed. While it was in progress, the disaster occured.

Another Death

The witness was Hans Freund, a rigger in charge of gas cells and landing lines, who was directly under the spot where the first spot of flame shot from the Hindenburg's tail. He is the only survivor of a three-man detail stationed at that point. His two rigger colleagues, Erich Spaehl and Ludwig Knorr, were instantly killed.

While Freund was giving his testimony, Otto Ernst, cotton broker, of Hamburg, Germany, died in Paul Kimball Hospital, Lakewood, from internal injuries and burns. His wife Elsa lies in the same hospital but is expected to recover. Ernst's death brings the toll of Hindenburg victims up to 36.

GIRL AX SLAYER COOLLY CHARTS BATTLE FOR LIFE

By Arch Macdonald

As icily calm as her prototype of the Mauve Decade, the modern Lizzie Borden -- Gladys "Poker Face" MacKnight, 17 year old high school graduate -- yesterday drew final plans for her fight against the electric chair in the hatchet slaying of her mother.

Fearlessly, the red-haired girl athlete awaited the summons to trial tomorrow in a crime that drew strange parallels to the Borden case, one of the most celebrated in American crime. It was lack of direct evidence that won freedom for the maiden lady of the '90s after a sensational trial. But there will be no dearth of direct evidence against Lizzie Borden's beer-drinking young counterpart of the 20th Century, and the best Gladys MacKnight can hope for is escape from the electric chair.

Shows No Concern

With not a quaver in her voice to betray concern, Gladys preapred to confront a blue-ribbon panel of seventy-six prospective jurors, an all-male panel from whose ranks will be chosen twelve men who will be asked by the state of New Jersey to send the girl to her death.

At her side as co-defendent will be the youth she once loved, Donald Wightman, 18-year-old erstwhile hymn singing radio performer. The one-time sweethearts recoiled from one another a few hours after their crime was committed, and are expected to vent their mutual hatred in a Snyder-Gray defense -- each accusing the other of wielding the hatchet that crushed the life out of Mrs. Helen MacKnight in her home at 826 Avenue A in Bayonne last July 31.

Self Defense Plea

Coupled with this anticipated attempt to shift the blame, there will probably be an effort to prove self-defense. This will rest upon a claim that Mrs. MacKnight threatened Donald with a kitchen knife at the climax of a bitter quarrel over the mother's failure to have an early supper ready when Gladys had planned an early tennis game with Donald.

Gladys first admitted, it was said, that she wielded the hatchet while Donald held the arms of her 47-year-old mother. Then she recanted her former suitor of the actual killing. Donald, too, first shouldered the blame, then turned on the girl in an attempt to save his own life.

THRILL GIRL STORK PLEA DISPROVED

By Al Binder, Staff Correspondent of The News

Poughkeepsie, N. Y., May 15 -- Bernice Felton's claim to expectant motherhood was virtually exploded by a physician's factual report today, and the girl graduate's hope of escaping the death penalty or a long term in prison seemed to have vanished. An examination showed no apparent substantiation for the story of the 18-year-old Sunday School teacher that she was with child by Lester Brockelhurst, 23, the Mormon bible student who killed three men to sate her appetite for thrills.

BRITISH FROWN ON EDWARD'S RETURN IN MOTHER'S LIFE

By Nancy Randolph, Society Editor of The News

London, May 15 -- Voluntary exile from England is regarded as "advisable" for the Duke of Windsor and his bride-to-be, Mrs. Wallis Warfield, throughout the lifetime of his mother, Queen Mother Mary. Reports that the Duke is negotiating to return to England next Fall with his bride have aroused England's ruling classes to fighting pitch.

The Queen MOther is the idol of the Empire, and the British are anxious to protect her from possible embarrassing consequences of the presence of the Duke of Windsor and his Duchess in England. As long as the Duke and his wife remain voluntary exiles, Queen Mother Mary is not forced to receive her son's wife. The English would prevent this at all costs. They feel there can never be a common meeting ground for the two women whom the British regard as the antithesis of each other.

PREAKNESS TO WAR ADMIRAL

By Jack Miley and Al Copeland

Baltimore, Md., May 15 -- War Admiral did it again! But this time it was a little closer! The little brown son of Man O' War won the 47th running of the Preakness by beating Pompoon a head before 42,000 whooping, hollering turf devotees at the old Pimlico pony plant this afternoon. Flying Scot was third, six lengths behind, and Mosawtre was fourth, a length and a half behind the Scotsman. The Admiral's time was 1:58 2-5, only two-fifths off the track record, held jointly by Gallant Knight and Dark Hope. The winner paid $2.70, $2.30, and $2.40. Pompoon's price was $2.40 and $2.70, while Flying Scot paid $6 to show.

WORLD'S MOST SENSATIONAL MOVIES -- HINDENBURG EXPLODES!

Complete and Exclusive Record -- No Event In History Ever Photographed With Such Breathtaking Realism!

Limited Supply! Lowest Prices!

16mm -- Explosion Only -- 100 ft. -- $3.00
16mm -- Maiden Voyage and Explosion -- 200 ft. -- $5.50

8mm -- Explosion Only -- 50 ft. -- $2.00
8mm -- Maiden Voyage and Explosion -- 100 ft. -- $3.75

Now On Sale at Your Dealer

PATHEGRAMS -- RCA Building -- CIrcle 7-7388

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE

Quiet Please!

Brooklyn: There are 100 families in the short Brooklyn block where I live, every home having a front bedroom. On summer nights, it is absolutely necessary to open the windows for air. So now the annual nuisance is beginning -- gangs of fellows and girls coming home after midnight from dances and parties, hooting and cackling as though nobody were asleep. They sure take a chance on someone losing their everlasting good nature and cracking their brainless domes with a tin can or an overripe tomato. And I bet they'd be the first to run to the cops like cry babies if such a thing happened. -- TIRED FATHER

LizzieMaine

Bartender
May 24, 1938

380524.jpg

WAR THREAT IS EASED BY CZECH TALKS

An apprehensive Europe watches the 1,315-mile-long German-Czech frontier -- a torturous fuse which might ignite a world powder keg should a spark fall at any point. Last night's developments:

A. HITLER PLEDGE -- There will be no march into Czechoslovakia, the Reichsfuehrer assured Great Britain. But at the same time Germans complained of Czech violations of the German frontier, charging incidents which could not be confirmed in Czechoslovakia.

HOPE OF PEACE -- After a meeting between Konrad Heinlein, leader of the Czech Sudeten German minority, and Premier Hodza, the Sudeten Party announced that the situation had been clarified, giving rise to hope for a peaceful settlement.

SUDETEN-NAZI PLOT SCENTED -- Coincident with reports that German arms are being supplied the Czech Sudetens to foment trouble which would "justify" German intercession, Great Britain and France warned Berlin that Czechoslovakia can not be made into a theatre of war like that in Spain.

BRITISH OIL WATERS -- Prime Minister Chamberlain of Great Britain smilingly told Commons of his belief that everything would be amicably settled.

WAGE-HOUR BILL UP, SURE TO PASS NOW

Washington D. C., May 23 (AP) -- The Wage-Hour Bill, patched and battered but obviously supported more strongly than ever, came before the House again today and even its most determined Southern opponents conceded that this time it would pass.

Quickly the measure's proponents demonstrated their strength with a vote of 322 to 73 to wrest the measure from the hostile Rules Committee and proceed with its consideration.

Humanitarian Measure

The bill's proponents called it the most humanitarian measure to come before Congress in years, contended it would not "interfere with collective bargaining," and that it would provide a living wage for millions of workers and give the nation "a start" toward the solution of a pressing national problem.

The bill would require a uniform minimum wage in all interstate industries, starting at 25 cents an hour, and increasing to 40 cents after three years. It would limit working hours in the same industries to 44 a week, and 40 a week in two years.

SYMPATHY FOR CARROLL DELAYS JURY SELECTION

By Grace Robinson

The youth-and-love tragedy of Donald Carroll, Jr. unleashed a wave of sympathy in his behalf yesterday when the 16-year-old boy went on trial in Long Island City Courthouse for the slaying of his sweetheart, Charlotte Mathiesen, 18.

Twenty-six hard-headed businessmen -- blue ribbon candidates for jury service -- at sight of the pale, slim prisoner at the bar, retreated from their original declarations of belief in capital punishment. They pleaded with County Judge Thomas Downs that they could not serve in this case of youthful tears and death because they could not be "impartial."

Seems Desolate In Court

Donald's lack of familiarity with courtroom performances obviously prevented him from interpreting the favorable omens of his first trial day. The boy who shot his girl in a suicide pact when they learned of her pregnancy appeared desolate and alone.

"Oh -- if he'd only look at us," continued the black-clad mother of the dead girl. "He hasn't looked at us one, not all day. You know, it's my own daughter sitting there in Donald's place -- that's how I feel."

"Mental Incapacity" or defective reasoning at the time he shot Charlotte, an expectant mother, will be Carroll's defense, it appeared from Attorney Sydney Rosenthal's questioning of jurors. This was generally interpreted to mean an insanity defense, since under the law one must be "incapable of distinguishing between right and wrong" in order to escape responsibility for a crime.

Shows No Emotion

But if Donald understood the plans afoot in his behalf, or cared which of the more than half a hundred prospective jurors examined were selected to judge him, he gave no sign.

He appeared oblivious of the whole courtroom scene and the 300 talesmen and spectators at the back. Occasionally he touched the little jeweled ring on the small finger of his left hand -- the ring Charlotte gave him when they were childish sweethearts. Frequently his hands twitched nervously or he shuffled his feet. Both hands and feet are disproportionately large -- like most boys in their middle teens. He wore a black suit, white shirt, blue tie, and from his neatly brushed brown hair to his perfectly polished black shoes, he was immaculately groomed.

DODGERS BEATEN BY REDS, 6 TO 4

By Hy Turkin

Raindrops descending on dank Ebbets Field yesterday were tears of the great god Gowanus, for the Dodgers lost their third straight -- a 6-4 trimming by the Reds, to drop within half a game of the NL cellar. Brooklyn's runs and half-dozen hits all came in the fourth, fifth, and six innings off Schott, who was credited with his first decision of the season, but it was really Cascarella who lulled the locals and boosted Cincy to third place in the standing. Cascarella gave a hitless and runless relief performance, facing twelve men in the last four frames.

LADY, KEEP YOUR SHOES ON!

No dainty smartly-dressed woman wants to spoil everything by taking her shoes off when a corn hurts. But she doesn't want to suffer either, or take a chance with "paring." Treat that corn to DRYBAK CORN PLASTERS, for they relieve the pain by getting at the cause -- friction and pressure! Thin, comfortable, waterproof -- unaffected by bathing! Do not stick to stockings! Flesh colored! 12 for 25 cents at any drugstore -- or send 10c for trial package to JOHNSON & JOHNSON, New Brunswick, N. J. For Professional Foot Treatment - See Your Chiropodist!

THE INQUIRING FOTOGRAPHER
By Jimmy Jemail

The Question:

Would you advise newly-married couples to have twin beds?

The Place:

Columbus Circle

The Answers:

A. R. Archibald, Sparta N. J., advertising man -- "Yes. Marriage should not destroy respective individualities even in the subconscious state of sleep. Psychologically, two persons will get along better if they maintain some reserve."

C. C. Gridley, Broadway, assistant manager -- "Certainly. In the most successful marriage I have ever known, the wife led a prim life. The husband, a sane individual, thought it best that they remain apart, and they chose twin beds. It proved to be an ideal arrangement."

Gwen A. Christie, 71st Street, Brooklyn, hostess -- "Yes. Twin beds are a wonderful institution. Imagine going to bed with a drunken husband, or having a mate spray flu germs all over you!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
May 26, 1930

300526.jpg

PRESIDENT ACCEPTS CONFEREES' DRAFT OF FLEXIBLE TARIFF PLAN

Compromise is Viewed as 'Fairly Satsifactory', Capital is Told as Mr. Hoover Returns From Rapidan

Comittee to Report It to Senate Today

Final Approval Expected; Leaders Discount Criticism by Robinson, Calling Accord Unconstitutional

Washington, May 25 -- President Hoover today accepted the compromise draft of the Senate and House conferees on a flexible provision for the pending tariff bill as 'fairly satisfactory,' it was said in White House circles.

Whether the President finally will accept the agreement was not decided today, it was said. Possible opposition may arise during the ten days or two weeks in which the provision will be accepted, although it was learned today that the disposition of the White House is toward acceptance.

300,000 STORM SALT WORKS IN INDIA; POLICE FIRE ON MOBS

Scores Hurt at Walada in Two Nationalist Forays on Government's Plant, 115 Siezed in Morning

Clash Most Violent In 'Passive Revolt'

British and Native Force Stoned by Thousands; Clubs and Guns Repel Rioters in Long Battle

by Webb Miller, United Press Staff Correspondent

Wadala, Bombay Presidency, India, May 25 -- A heavy toll of wounded was taken this forenoon and tonight as huge mobs conducted two determined raids on the government salt works in this suburb of Bombay.

Returning after the morning raid in which 118 were arrested and many injured, the rioters attempted a new descent on the salt pans. Sixty were injured when police charged them with bamboo staffs, and later police fired on the mobs, injuring an undetermined number of natives.

Only twenty-eight British sergeants and 250 native police opposed the mob of 30,000. The conduct of the police was exemplary and at times daring, although some native officers were reluctant to act against their kinsmen except when directly ordered.

GRAF ZEPPELIN CUTS RIO STAY, SOARING NORTH

Craft Arrives At Brazil's Capital Unexpectedly At Dawn; Stops But an Hour, Then Sails Away

Populace Aroused At Quick Departure

5,000 Left at Field; Ship to Refit at Pernambuco Today for U. S. Flight

Rio De Janeiro, May 25 -- The Graf Zeppelin tonight was nearing the end of her visit to South America and was turned northward toward Pernamburo and the United States. She paid this city a brief visit today. Arriving at dawn, the airship landed at Campo Dos Affonsos, an airport on the city's outskirts, remained an exceptionally short time, and started on the return trip to Pernamburo. where she will refit preparatory to another visit to the United States.

Thousands of citizens in the Brazilian capital expressed loudly their disappointment at not being able to see the airship after spending hours of preparation to do so.

DINWIDDIE JUSTIFIED PROHIBITIOMN AS ONLY DEFENSIBLE ATTITUDE OF GOVERNMENT TO A SOCIAL WRONG

Amendment Never Intended to Make Men Moral or Sober By Law, and Success Depends on Education, says Temperance Bureau Chief

By Edwin C. Dinwiddie, D. D.
Superintendant, the National Temperance Bureau

Los Angeles, May 21 -- I am responding to the invitation of the New York Herald Tribune at a distance of 2,500 miles from my headquarters in Washington. Files of data, statistics, etc. are not available,. and I should not draw on them if they were. The question of the success or failure of any piece of legislation depends on what one means by its success or failure. If a prohibition law is a success only if it quickly or even ultimately completely eliminates liquor drinking and liquor selling, its most pronounced advocate would hardly consider it a success. Likewise if it is to be denominated a failure because it has not produced universal observance and enforcement, its friends would have to concede it a failure.

The correct position, in my judgement, is the one between the extremes. We believe a law is a success if it has measurably accomplished those things which it was designed to do. We declare that it has to a large degree done this and is increasingly doing it.

The law has diminished drunkenness and drinking generally. It has eliminated the open saloon. It has taken from view the allurements to drink. It has stopped the advertisements of beverage liquors. It has put the ban upon the traffic and withdrawn government sanction and encouragement to it. It has completely severed governmental protection from it.

Prohibition was not advocated nor ultimately secured to make men moral or sober by law, however much these results might be desired. It was not sought primarily to stop liquor drinking, however much that it is hoped for as a byproduct of the reform. It was advocated as the fundementally right, defensible attiude of the government toward a great social evil which deleteriously affected the moral, political, and economic life of the American people.

4 KILLED 8 SHOT IN LIQUOR FEUD OF RIVAL GANGS

By The Associated Press

Lepanto, Ark., May 25 -- Four men said by police to be known to them as leaders of two hostile liquor-running factions met at a carnival here today and used pistols to settle their feud. Before Police Chief W. B. Adams brought his own gun into play to end the battle, two of the reputed liquor runners and a third man were killed. Another of the feuders was mortally wounded and died tonight. Eight bystanders were shot and wounded, but are expected to recover.

'PLUTO' SELECTED AS NEWLY FOUND PLANET'S NAME

Flagstaff, Ariz., May 25 -- "Pluto" has been selected by scientists of Lowell Observatory here as the name for the recently discovered trans-Neptunian body which they believe is the long-sought Planet X. The name is symbolic of the comparatively dark and distant regions through which the celestial body rides on its orbit about the sun.

WHAT A PROOF -- Of Efficiency And Economy!

Of the hundreds of thousands of owners of General Electric Refrigerators, NOT 1 has paid a cent for service!

GENERAL ELECTRIC ALL-STEEL REFRIGERATOR -- Now Priced As Low as $215 at REX COLE INC. 4th Ave. at 21st St, New York -- GRAmercy 6660

LizzieMaine

Bartender
May 27, 1937

370527.jpg

FORD POLICE BEAT 4 CIO ORGANIZERS

Special to The News

Dearborn, Mich., May 26 -- A brief but bloody fourth round in the United Auto Workers' fight to organize the 90,000 workers of Henry Ford's River Rouge plant went to Mr. Ford today. Four union officials were beaten and tossed off Ford property by Ford's private police, and sixteen others, including several women, according to the others, were injured in the free-for-all melee.

Round two, however, promised to be a verbal engagement before the National Labor Relations Board, before which the CIO union prepared tonight to lodge official complaints charging coercion and interference with workers in their constitutional right to organize.

Among the victims of today's battle were Richard T. Frankensteen, director of the union's Ford campaign, Walter Reuther, president of the West Side Local, and two assistant organizers. The others, apparently, were innocent bystanders.

Frankensteen, his face cut and bandaged, and minus a coat which had been ripped from his back, described at union headquarters the attack which took place at the company gate when he and his fellow unionists attempted to distribute literature.

"We found ourselves surrounded by Ford's company police," he said. "They wore workmen's clothes, but were members of the Service Department. It was the worst licking I've ever taken. They bounced us up and down a flight of concrete steps. They knocked us down, stood us up, and knocked us down again."

Frankensteen, a former football player, was knocked down more than a dozen times, he said. Two minor outbreaks followed, but the fist-swinging battle was over in fifteen minutes.

STEEL STRIKE OF 80,000 MEN CALLED BY CIO

By Associated Press

Youngstown, O., May 26 -- A strike of 80,000 men in all plants of the Republic Steel Corp., Youngstown Sheet & Tube, and Inland Steel Co. has been called for 11 o'clock tonight, the Steel Workers' Organizing Committee announced late today.

The strike call came after a "council of war" here of SWOC leaders, and followed within an hour a statement in Chicago by Van A. Bittner, director of the SWOC, that such action would be taken "unless the firms sign a written contract before that time."

The announced strike brought the nation its worst labor difficulty in the steel industry in the last 19 years. Seven Republic units are already shut down at Canton, O. and nearby Massillon. Tonight, picket forces of 8,000 strikers there camped beside bonfires, voicing their determination to "stick it out" against Republic, which had told its employees it believed a signed contract would lead to "a later demand for the closed shop and the checkoff."

Included among the Republic or subsidiary plants are those in Brooklyn and Long Island City, N. Y.

AX MURDER DEFENSE RESTS; YOUTH CRINGES UNDER FIRE

By George Dixon

A cringing, almost tearful Donald Wightman, who heard himself branded "yellow" before the crowded Jersey City courtroom where he and 17-year-old Gladys MacKnight are on trial for the ax slaying of the girl's mother, yesterday pleaded through his attorney that the blue ribbon jury be directed to acquit him on the charge of first degree murder.

The defense rested at 11:15 A. M. after eight days of legal battling. Then, when counsel for Gladys sat surprisingly silent, Col. George T. Victers, Donald's lawyer, arose and moved for the directed verdict. He made two motions to this effect. Judge Thomas F. Meaney summarily denied both of them.

As he heard that his fate will be left to the jury -- the case is expected to be given in to its hands later today -- Donalg gulped and looked even more frightened. Gladys, however, merely smiled.

BARE-FOOT STROLL KEEPS ACTRESS FROM MATE'S SUIT

Gladys Kimball, WPA actress, was missing from Supreme Court yesterday when her husband's second divorce suit -- accusing her of playing Eve with an unclothed Adam -- was called for trial. She was being held in Bellevue pyschopathic ward, Justice Julius Miller learned.

She had been taken there for observation the previous afternoon, after a policeman charged he found her marching back and forth, barefooted and shouting defiance, in front of a downtown restaurant.

Waving her shoes and stockings, the embattled matron, according to police, was crying to a large and growing crowd, "I have been stepped on long enough! Women must protect their rights! Now I am going to do the treading!"

"You're not going to tread on anybody barefooted," Patrolman Stewart of the Beach Street Station protested diplomatically.

"No, I just took these things off so I can go home and put on my heavy boots," the actress assertedly replied.

MICKEY COCHRANE BEANED

Baseball doesn't have as many accidents to players as football does, but baseball accidents are often serious and spectacular. Gordon S. (Mickey) Cochrane, admired and able manager of the Detroit Tigers, is in serious condition because his skull was fractured by a pitched ball at the Yankee Stadium day before yesterday. Hank Lieber, Giant outfielder, has been at the Medical Center for some weeks, recovering from a ball pitched into his head by Bob Feller in an exhibition game last Spring. Ray Chapman, Cleveland shortstop, was a victim of major league baseball's worst accident in recent years. He was killed by a pitched ball at the Polo Grounds Aug. 16, 1920.

All of this prompts us to congratulate Dizzy Dean on the failure of his bean ball fest at St. Louis last week to do anything worse than nail McCarthy of the Giants on the arm. Dean might have seriously injured or killed someone in his bean-ball frenzy, and that would have led to worse trouble than the $50 fine Ford Frick plastered on him.

Along with the rest of Mickey Cochrane's many admirers, we wish him a quick recovery. It's not pleasant to have him out of the baseball picture. But we think most of these skull accidents in baseball by a simple device which somebody long ago took the trouble to invent: why not polo helmets for players at bat? These helmets were devised to save polo players from accidents to the top and sides of the skull after several polo players were killed. Such polo accidents stopped.

Batters in polo helmets would look funny for about two days, after which the fans would agree that it was the sensible thing to do and wonder why it wasn't done sooner. Any legitmate safety device for the beautiful game of baseball is all to the good.

FINLAY-STRAUS MEN'S STORES

Be Comfortable! Be Smartly Dressed -- And SAVE!

Buy a Gabardine SUIT!

Here's a Spring Suit you can wear all summer with comfort. It's smart-looking -- it's durable, made of the finest gabardine, and it's offered to you at a big savings, too. Large assortment of blues, browns, and grays, in single and double breasted. All have the newest style Sport Backs.

Regular $35 Quality -- $29.95! And you pay just $1 a week!

FINLAY-STRAUS -- 25 West 14th St. Opposite Hearns -- 2919 Third Av. cor. 151st St. -- Both Stores Open Evenings

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE

Look The Folks Over

Old Mystic, Conn. -- Women would not be such fools about picking husbands if they would take a look at a man's family before they leaped. You may be in love with a man thus fail to see his faults, but if his people are a bunch of bums, you will be able to perceive that fact. And if you have any sense, you'll reflect that a canary is never found in a crow's nest. -- HAPPY WIFE

Crown For Wally?

Manhattan -- I predict that Wallis Warfield Simpson will be the first Queen of the United States. -- ANTI-MONARCHIST

Story

I'll Lock Up
Gone With The Wind, Margaret Mitchell's lone novel, was published on June 30th, 1936 and went on to make history, eventually selling more than 30 million copies.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
July 5, 1939

390705a.jpg

CARDINAL INNITZER MOBBED BY NAZIS -- CALLED 'MURDERER'

By United Press

Vienna, July 4 -- Pelted with rotten eggs and potatoes by mobsters crying "murderer!' -- his chauffeur beaten and his own person imperiled by Nazi mobs, Theodore Cardinal Innitzer, Catholic prelate of Austria and foe of Nazidom, today abandoned a tour of his diocese.

The most violent attack of several during a week's journey through Ostmark occured Sunday at Koenigsbruenn, twenty-five miles from Vienna, where the energetic action of the gendarmerie probably saved the 63-year-old Archbishop of Vienna from being knocked down and beaten by Nazi demonstrators.

The Cardinal, whose palace in Vienna was attacked and sacked by a yelling mob last October, was showered with insults by the Koenigsbruenn crowd and his biretta knocked from his head by an umbrella. The crowd gathered outside the Catholic church where Cardinal Innitzer had preached a sermon on peace, and attacked him when he attempted to leave with an old overcoat hiding his priestly robes.

ANGLO-PARIS PACT NEAR, SOVIET SAYS

London, July 4 -- Great Britain, France, and Soviet Russia have reached agreement on all main points of a proposed mutual assistance pact, Soviet Russian circles said tonight, with only minor questions remaining to be settled.

The report, long awaited, came while the British government kept close watch on the tension between Germany and Poland over the free city of Danzig.

4th DEATHS REACH 542 in U. S.; 34 DIE IN NEW YORK STATE

By Jack Turcott

Violence claimed the lives of more than 500 persons as the nation yesterday wound up a four-day holiday celebrating the 163rd anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. By evening 542 deaths were recorded among 4th of July celebrants throughout the nation, and a heavy rush of night traffic was expected to swell the total to 600 fatalities.

Safety experts pointed out that if the final count reached 600, it would mean the holiday killed more than 14 percent of the total number of American patriots who died during the six and one-half years of the Revolutionary War, which cost the nation 4,044 lives.

YANKS, 61,808 FANS HONOR LOU GEHRIG

By Jack Mahon

"Ladies and Gentlemen," apologized the master of ceremonies to 61,808 at Yankee Stadium's Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day yesterday. "Lou has asked me to thank you all for him. He is too moved to speak." But the biggest baseball crowd of the year wouldn't stand for it. White shirted waves roared a demand for at least a few words/

And Gehrig came through again -- this time with a great, heart-stirring speech instead of his accustomed baseball feats.

"Fans," Lou began, "For the past two weeks you have been reading about a bad break I got. Yet today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I have been in ball parks 17 years, and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans."

Lou stopped to dab his eyes with a handkerchief as the stands delivered a throaty salute.

He continued, "Wouldn't you consider it an honor just to be with such great men just for one day?" He motioned to the Yanks of '39, baseball kings of the past three seasons, lined up along with the Senators from Lou at home plate to the band at the pitchers box, and to the Yanks of '27, greatest of all time, who had paraded earlier to the flag pole where their World Championship banner had been raised.

Gehrig then paid tribute to the men he had been associated with in his seventeen year career. "Sure I'm lucky! Who wouldn't consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert, also the builder of baseball's greatest empire, Ed Barrow, to have spent six years with such a grand little fellow as Miller Huggins, to have spent the next nine years with that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Who wouldn't feel honored to room with such a grand guy as Bill Dickey?"

"When the New York Giants (boos), a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends a gift -- that's something. (cheers.) When the ground keepers and office staff and writers and oldtimers and players and concessionaires all remember you with trophies -- that's something. So I close in saying that I might have had a tough break -- but I have an awful lot to live for."

Then followed the most tumultuous ovation the Stadium ever saw. Lou wept openly as the fans screamed to the heavens, his friends patted him on the back, and the band played "Du, Du Liegst Mir un Herzen."

390705b.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
July 13, 1938

380713.jpg

HUGHES IS HURTLING ACROSS ASIA IN 4TH LEG OF GLOBE FLIGHT

By Associated Press

Omsk, Siberia, July 13 (Wednesday) -- Howard Hughes and his four round-the-world flight companions roared into the Siberian dawn today at 4:37 AM (6:37 PM New York time) on the fourth leg and second half of their globe-circling flight.

They were still a day ahead of the 1933 flight schedule of the late Wiley Post who circled the world in seven days, 18 hours, and 49 minutes.

Ahead of Hughes and his four companions were nearly 4,000 miles of Siberian steppes before he heads out over the Bering Strait for Fairbanks, Alaska and home, but his immediate destination was Yakutsk, 2,177 miles east of Omsk.

First major city on the millionaire pilot's path was Novosibirisk, which he planned to fly over without a halt, and then pass Krasonyarsk, and Kansk before winging into Yatutsk.

This fourth leg was expected to take about eleven hours.

Early summer dawn was just breaking over mid-Asia when the flying laboratory got away.

Hughes spent about four and a half hours in Omsk, drinking tea himself after satisfying his airplane's thirst for gasoline.

It was still daylight yesterday in this ancient northern city, center of caravan routes, and important station on the Trans-Siberian Railway, when the millionaire sportsman pilot ad his four companions set down their twin motored plane at the stroke of midnight. (2 PM New York time)

Omsk, 6,696 miles from New York, is approximately the midway point of the scheduled 14,709 mile course.

HUGHES AID TO WED SECRETARY AT FLIGHT'S END

Dan Cupid's influence was hinted yesterday as one reason why the Howard Hughes monoplane is being gunned around the globe at such record-setting ground.

It was learned here that Edward Lund, Hughes' flight engineer, will announce his engagement to Elinore Hoagland, 19 year old Brooklyn blonde, the moment the big ship returns in New York. Lund and Hughes himself are the only unmarried members of the flying fivesome.

Miss Hoagland, who for the last nine months has been Lund's secretary at the Charles H. Babbs Aircraft Company, Floyd Bennett Field, has kept her ears glued steadily to a radio since the Hughes ship streaked off the runway. With a blush, Miss Hoagland looked up from her desk and said "I keep the radio right next to me all the time. I let it go softly, but when the flight reports come in -- gee, do I turn up the volume!"

SIX YAPHANK NAZIS CONVICTED AS BUND IS FINED $10,000

In a courtroom echoing with vituperation and defiance, six Nazi leaders were convicted at Riverhead, L. I. yesterday of ignoring a state law requiring registration of secret society members who are bound by oath. County Judge L. Barron Hill, who said the trial had developed "things I didn't believe could happen in a courtroom," immediately called on the Federal Government for a thorough examination of all Nazi activities in this country.

He imposed maximum sentences of $500 fines and one-year jail terms on the six defendants, and a $10,000 fine on their organization, the German-American Settlement League, Inc., which operates Camp Siegfried, a Nazi camp at Yaphank, Long Island.

The jury of nine men and three women required only fifteen minutes to believe the testimony of Willy Brandt, former German storm trooper and chief prosecution witness, that all members of the German-American Volksbund were required to take an oath to Adolf Hitler.

THUG'S ALIBI BROKEN IN LIPSTICK MURDERS

Following collapse of his major alibi yesterday, Walter H. Wiley, 19, lean-faced suspect in the Lipstick Murders of Hollis Woods, faced a renewed barrage of police investigation. Baltimore police notified Deputy Chief Inspector John L. Lagarenne that Wiley's relatives there said the youth had not arrived in Baltimore until Oct. 20.

This contradicted Wiley's statement that he had been in Baltimore on Oct. 2, the night when two 20-year-old sweethearts -- Lewis Weiss and Frances Hajek -- were slain in a lover's lane of Hollis Woods, Queens, and red lipstick circles were drawn on their foreheads.

A detective was immediately dispatched to Baltimore to procure affidavits.

Police also obtained an affidavit from a Queens Village youth alleging that Wiley had threatened to "put a red circle on you, too" when he refused to collaborate on a projected burglary.

The brands in the Hajak-Weiss murders were interpreted by police as the killer's mark. Both Weiss and his fiancee were shot twice through the temples. The girl had been stabbed seven times in the chest.

YOU NEEDN'T SPEND AN ENTIRE DAY SEARCHING FOR YOUR SIZE IN SADDLE OXFORDS!

$2.98 -- White Elk with Brown Calf saddles. Duflex Rubber soles.

Consult our complete size range! AAA width in sizes 4 1/2 to 9, AA width in sizes 4 to 9, A width in sizes 4 to 9, B width in sizes 3 to 9, C width in sizes 3 to 9

STERN'S FASHION BASEMENT -- STERN BROTHERS, 42nd STREET WEST

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE

Germ Carriers

Manhattan -- My dear Health Department, how about checking up on dishwashing in a lot of local places where food and drink are served? There are only two safe ways to sterilize utensils -- by boiling or by using a strong solution of soap and water. Neither of those methods is in use in plenty of dumps around town. -- SANITARY BOB

Finds No Jobs

Brooklyn: I am a WPA worker with clerical experience, and I have tried time and again to secure a job in private industry, both big and small. Plenty of these people claim to be behind the President, but I have ceased to believe it. My only prayer now is that I shall not die on the WPA. Phooey to you, private industry. -- WPA CLERK

LizzieMaine

Bartender
July 15, 1938

380715.jpg

25,000 GO WILD AS HUGHES ENDS 3-DAY 19-HOUR FLIGHT

While 25,000 spectators fought to brush aside the cordons of police and to form eddies of wildly cheering humanity about the returning voyagers, Howard Hughes and his crew of four completed their round-the-world flight at 2:34 PM yesterday, The long, lean flying man from Texas -- a millionaire many times over -- roared into Floyd Bennett Field 3 days 19 hours and 14 minutes after he had left it at 7:20 PM last Sunday.

In his giant silver monoplane "New York World's Fair 1939", Hughes beat the 1933 globe-girdling record of the late Wiley Post, who flew alone, by 3 days, 23 hours, and 35 minutes. The 32-year-old speed demon and his companions had traveled 14,656 miles at an average flying speed of 206.7 miles per hour. Based on elapsed time -- counting the periods the ship was on the ground -- their average was 161 miles an hour. Post's flying speed was 135 miles an hour; and his speed, inclusive of stops, was 83 miles an hour.

Over the last leg of their trip, from Minneapolis to Floyd Bennett Field, they rocketed across the United States, hitting 250 miles an hour a good part of the way. Sailing out of the West on a forty-mile tailwind, the silver-winged plane shimmered over the Administration Building at Bennett Field for the official ending of the epochal flight as the crowd roared a greeting ant thousands of motor horns added to the tumult.

Hughes reflected the excitement of the landing in his first words he uttered after stepping from his ship: "This crowd," he said, gazing at the multitude and apparently amazed at its proportions, "scares me more than anything that has happened in the last three days."

BROADWAY ALL READY TO HAIL HUGHES TODAY

Broadway kept late hours last night, shredding phone books and hunting for ticker tape to shower on Howard Hughes today. A welcome rivaling the reception given to Col. Charles A. Lindbergh in 1927 was expected when the round the world flyers ride from the Battery to City Hall at noon time.

Hughes and his companions will leave Hampshire House at 150 Central Park South at 11:45 AM for the trip to the Battery and will then proceed up Broadway for the shower of ticker tape. After the City Hall reception the party will go to the Metropolitan Club, where they will be guests at a luncheon. Next Wednesday, the fliers will be guests of Grover Whalen at the Terrace Club on the Fair Grounds.

HEPBURN WAITS BY PHONE FOR HUGHES TO CALL

Katharine Hepburn, No. 1 heart-throb of globe-girdler Howard Hughes, waited in her townhouse at 244 E. 49th St. for a phone call from the triumphant aviator yesterday afternoon. Four minutes before Hughes landed at 2:34 PM a phone call from Miss Hepburn was reported at Floyd Bennett Field. Informed that the plane had not yet landed, she left a message for the flyer and a number for him to call.

A field employee dashed out to give Hughes the message, but was unable to reach him as he was escorted from the field to a waiting automobile. Miss Hepburn stipulated that the message was to be handed only to Hughes or one of his close friends. Missing Hughes at the field, the courier said he would relay the message to him later in the day.

LISTENING IN

By Ben Gross

You had to hear it to believe it! The frenzied shrieks --- the screaming sirens --- the ringing bells -- the hoarse, hysterical acclaim of ecstatic thousands. Those merged into one vast surge of joyous sound which boomed from the loudspeakers as Howard Hughes brought his silver-winged round-the-world plane to a three point landing at Floyd Bennett Field at 2:34 PM yesterday.

Stations WABC, WEAF, WJZ, WOR, WNYC, and WMCA were at the scene of the triumphant return. It was station WABC, with Bob Trout and Mel Allen on the lookout, which first brought those electrifying words "Here they come!" The rest of the stations followed closely. WJZ, NBC's outlet, which came on the air several minutes before the birdmen landed, for some strange reason switched back to the studio where the music of Rakov was holding sway. WABC, which did no such foolish thing, played safe and as a result got the jump on its rivals.

The crowd was so great it was a herculean task to get Hughes near a microphone. An NBC announcer was complaining bitterly about this condition. While he was doing so, Mel Allen (WABC) and Dave Driscoll (WOR) managed to squeeze their way into the inner circle and pick up a few words from the Texas birdman.

FOR THOSE HEAVY-LOAD TAKE-OFFS AND LANDINGS
HOWARD HUGHES USED GOODRICH TIRES

FOR THE GREATEST SKID PROTECTION -- MOTORISTS TOO DEPEND ON GOODRICH!

The New GOODRICH SAFETY SILVERTOWNS -- Life Saver Tread Skid Protection -- Golden Ply Blow-out Protection

The Inquiring Fotographer

By Jimmy Jemail

The Question:

Would you rather have your escort wear a straw or summer felt hat, or go bareheaded.

The Place:

Broadway at W. 52nd Street.

The Answers:

Abby Stevens, Popham Ave., Bronx, Actress: I much prefer him to wear a sporty Panama hat, one of the soft fine-weave variety, because it is the most comfortable hat that a man can wear, and it lends dash to his appearance. However, an older man would look more dignified and precise in a straw hat.

Ann Lieberman, Middle Village, L. I., secretary: The summer weight felt hat. Most men look so much better in felt hats, and the lightweights are cool enough to wear in summer. It is easier to fit a felt hat to a man's face. And I wouldn't be seen with a man who had no hat. He looks half dressed.

Edith Berthold, Detroit, teacher: I like straw hats if they fit a man's face, but not all men can wear them. For the younger men, I am partial to the summer weight felt hat in cheerful Summer colors, and I don't object to the Panama. But I absolutely detest the practice of going around the city streets without a hat. Why do they do it?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
"But I absolutely detest the practice of going around the city streets without a hat. Why do they do it?
lol :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap

Speaking of Floyd Bennett Field, you can still go out there, even tho the place is semi abandoned. It's now part of Gateway National Recreation Area, which means it could be made into a real national Park if they had a budget greater than just about $0. The buildings are all still standing, in various states of disrepair. The tower is still in good shape, and most of the hangars, with their classy Deco architecture, are being used for something. There's a skating rink, a rock climbing wall and an Avirex store in one.
Various events are held there every year. I went to a nice little air show there a couple of years ago. When the Intrepid was being refitted, the Concorde was parked there.
It's a super neat place, just begging for a useful job and a little investment.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
October 16, 1950

501016.jpg

DEWEY ALL OUT FOR IKE FOR PRESIDENT IN '52

Gov. Dewey, the beaten Republican presidential candidate in 1944 and 1948, who is now seeking reelection in New York State, yesterday took himself out of the 1952 Presidential picture and went all out for Gen. Dwight Eisenhower, president of Columbia University.

The surprise Dewey declaration came yesterday when he appeared on a "Meet The Press" program on NBC television. He admitted that he had not yet consulted Gen. Eisenhower in the matter of the 1952 Presidential nomination, but he indicated his belief that the general might be "prevailed upon."

TRUMAN RESTS IN HAWAII, TALKS TOMORROW ON PARLEY

Pearl Harbor, Oct. 15 -- President Truman paused here today to rest before flying back to San Francisco, where he will report to the nation Tuesday night on his Wake Island conference with Gen. MacArthur. The President will broadcast his report over most radio stations at 11:30 P. M. (New York time) Tuesday.

Observers with the Truman party still wondered what developed in the three hour session between the President and the general to justify the 15,000 mile trip to and from the desolate mid-Pacific landing strip. The communique issued after the conference was vague. It did not indicate whether Truman and MacArthur reached agreement on Far Eastern issues on which they have differed. Near the end of the statement, Truman said merely that "I also asked Gen. MacArthur to tell me his ideas on the ways in which the United States can most effectively promote its policies of assisting the United Nations to promote and maintain international peace and security throughout the Pacific area.

VICTORY DRIVE CLOSING ON KEY KOREA CENTERS

Tokyo, Monday Oct. 16 (U. P.) -- Troops of the U. S. 1st Cavalry Division today advanced north of Nomchonjom to a point 50 miles southeast of Pyongyang, Red Korean capital, and South Koreans thrust to within 20 miles of the Hamhung-Hungnam industrial center on the east coast. These are the two major objectives of the United Nations offensive.

With the Communist plight seen as desperate, Gen. MacArthur, back from his Wake Island conference with President Truman, was believed ready to deliver the knockout blow soon. U. N. troops were within 45 to 60 mioles of Pyongyang on a tightening arc extending from the southeast to the east of the capital.

BIG SISTER GETS GLORIOUS SHINER FIGHTING THUGS

A spunky 15-year-old girl had a black eye yesterday, and her neighbors in Elmont, L. I. regarded it as a badge of courage. Marlene Sarter, of 51 Finn Street, was slugged by two stickup men when she fought to protect her infant brother and sister.

Marlene's father, a wholesale banana dealer, lost $1500 and jewelry worth $700 to the thugs who invaded his home while he and his wife were at the movies Saturday night. But his loss was balanced by his pride in Marlene.

$5 FOR EMBARRASSING MOMENTS

The News Will Pay $5 for every item published on "The Most Embarrassing Moment of My Life." Address "Embarrassing Moments," The News, 220 E. 42nd Street, New York 17, N. Y.

While trying to impress some new friends, I mentioned that I owned my own home. Then the doorbell rang and my little son entered the room saying "It's the landlord! He came for the rent!" -- H. L., Plainfield, N. J.

YOU May Have PIN-WORMS -- And Not Know It!

Fidgeting, nose-picking, and a tormenting itch are often telltale signs of PIN-WORMS -- ugly parasites that medical experts say infest ONE OUT OF EVERY THREE persons examined! Entire families may be victims and not know it!

Don't take chances with this dangerous, highly-contagious condition. At the first sign of PIN-WORMS, ask your druggist for JAYNE'S P-W VERMIFUGE -- the small, easy to take tablets perfected by Dr. D. Jayne & Son, specialists in worm remedies for over 100 years.

JAYNE'S P-W -- For PIN-WORMS.

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE

Wolves On The Run!

Manhattan -- That male who wrote the Voice the other day and said he hadn't ever seen a subway masher must be blind. My high school daughter and her girl friends could tell him plenty. Until they took matters in their own hands, they were frequently annoyed by such men. Then my daughter used a hatpin on one, and cracked another in the face, and another girl let a pest have it with her umbrella. Try it, girls. They'll always slink off at the next stop. --- A MOTHER

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy