Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today in History

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Google doodle celebrates Virginia Woolf, 136 birthday today.

F628960A-F450-43F3-9E96-81D4F249364B.png

A Room of One's Own
"Woolf is writing in 1929, and imagining how things will look for women 100 years into the future, in 2028. By then, she reasons, all barriers to women’s entry into the various trades will have fallen."

Sadly, I don't see it happening in ten years from now. :(

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Google doodle celebrates Virginia Woolf, 136 birthday today.

View attachment 104048

A Room of One's Own
"Woolf is writing in 1929, and imagining how things will look for women 100 years into the future, in 2028. :(

A Room of One's Own is still a prescient commentary.

Today, the morning line for 10th post draw Gun Runner in Saturday's Pegasus is 4/5, a classic underlay disadvantaged by Gulfstream Park's
track configuration. A not necessarily skewered handicapping dilemma but Stronach might have looked beyond Hallendale Beach to Santa Anita.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
A Room of One's Own is still a prescient commentary.
A Room of One's Own is now considered one of her best books.
She discussed it in her diary, October 23, 1929 and appears
to not seem optimistic about it's future.

“I will here sum up my impressions before publishing A Room of One’s Own. It is a little ominous that Morgan won’t review it. It makes me suspect that there is a shrill feminine tone in it which my intimate friends will dislike. I forecast, then, that I shall get no criticism, except of the evasive jocular kind from Lytton, Roger & Morgan; that the press will be kind and talk of its charm, & sprightiness; also I shall be attacked for a feminist & hinted at for a sapphist; Sibyl will ask me to luncheon, I shall get a good many letters from young women. I am afraid it will not be taken seriously. Mrs Woolf is so accomplished a writer that all she says makes easy reading…this very feminine logic…a book to be put in the hands of girls. I doubt that I mind very much. The Moths; but it think it is to be waves, is trudging along; & I have that to refer to, if I am damped by the other. It is a trifle, I shall say, so it is, but I wrote it will ardour & conviction.” Virginia Woolf.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Today in 1965, Caroll Shelby debuts the Mustang Shelby GT 350 :D
I wonder if Shelby knew that on this day in 1938 Mercedes driver Rudolf Caracciola, in a W125 Rekordwagen on the Bundesautobahn 5, between the German cities of Frankfurt and Darmstadt, set a new speed record of 432 km/h? (268 mph)

Not with a Mustang, but saw this super-cool pic of Shelby just the other day.

View attachment 104555

Today's skinny suits are not new, but they understood proportion and limits better back in Shelby's day.
I used to know where there was an aluminum body Cobra sitting in a plumbing shop. The shop owner kept it as it had belonged to his son who died in Vietnam. It's been sold & gone now, as is the old man.

On this day in 461 A.D., Saint Patrick, Christian missionary, bishop and apostle of Ireland, dies at Saul, Downpatrick, Ireland.

And

Future president Franklin Delano Roosevelt weds his fifth cousin once removed, Eleanor Roosevelt, in New York on this day in 1905.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

On this day in 461 A.D., Saint Patrick, Christian missionary, bishop and apostle of Ireland, dies at Saul, Downpatrick, Ireland.

And

Future president Franklin Delano Roosevelt weds his fifth cousin once removed, Eleanor Roosevelt, in New York on this day in 1905.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Also on this day in 1874 the Roscoe Gunfight, Roscoe, Mo occurred with the attempted capture of Jim & John Younger by Pinkerton Agents Louis Lull & John Boyle, & Constable Edwin Daniels. John Younger & Constable Daniels died within minutes of the first shots being fired; Agent Lull died of his wounds a few days later. Before the firing even started Agent Boyle turned his horse and ran; he caught a train back to Chicago. Jim Younger was not injured.

Missouri Civil War guerrilla & post war outlaw Jesse Woodson James was killed on this date, April 3, 1882. After seeing his stepfather Dr. Ruben Samuel hung to near death & Jesse himself beaten to within inches of his life by federal Union soldiers, Jesse ran away at the age of 15 to join Quantrill's men & rode under the command of Bloody Bill Anderson. Due to lack of oxygen Dr. Samuel suffered brain damage the rest of his life & died in a mental hospital. Jesse James was just 34 yrs old.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Due to lack of oxygen Dr. Samuel suffered brain damage the rest of his life & died in a mental hospital.

The utter brutality of Dr. Samuel's interrogation aside, the tale is difficult to credit, for we must remember that Dr. Samuel successfully resumed practice when he moved the family North in the '70s. He did indeed die in an institution at the age of 80. He had suffered a stroke of apoplexy a couple years earlier, which made it impossible for his wife Zerelda James Samuel to care for him at home. Dr. Samuel did always claim that the horrible hanging incident permanently damaged his voice. Remember, too, that Dr. Samuel successfully performed the emergency amputation of Zerelda James Ssmuel's right hand which had been grievously injured by the bomb thrown into the family home by the Pinkertons in '75.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy