Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today in History

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Today in 1995:

Cal Ripken breaks Lou Gehrig's consecutive game record, playing in his 2,131st straight game. When the game becomes official in the middle of the fifth inning, the new 'Iron Man' takes a victory lap around Camden Yards during the 22-minute standing ovation from the sellout crowd, including President Bill Clinton.

Last edited:
Today in 1995:

Cal Ripken breaks Lou Gehrig's consecutive game record, playing in his 2,131st straight game. When the game becomes official in the middle of the fifth inning, the new 'Iron Man' takes a victory lap around Camden Yards during the 22-minute standing ovation from the sellout crowd, including President Bill Clinton.

Hard to believe that was 23 years ago - might have to cross post that in the "You Know You Are Getting Old When" thread.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sept. 7, 1876
38AB00B5-C3B2-4131-BA18-8A26B2F49857.jpeg

Attempting a bold daytime robbery of the Northfield Minnesota bank
E8675C33-FB33-44DC-8A4B-86DBB13B8F5D.jpeg
99C0E7D9-787F-4C4C-82E6-FCF7FA66A7E5.jpeg

the James-Younger gang suddenly finds itself surrounded by angry townspeople.
7377361B-7F2E-4B0C-894F-F63FB203507F.jpeg

... The citizens of Northfield ran to surround the bank and mercilessly shot down the robbers as they tried to escape.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Calling all Trekkies ... calling all Trekkies.

This day in 1966, the first regular episode of ' Star Trek' was aired in the US. It was entitled ' Man Trap'

tumblr_inline_mwg6bzY00x1r6y5iz.jpg

Michael Zaslow, later a prominent soap opera actor, was the first Trek "redshirt" to die on screen, even though he wore a blue shirt. Took a while to get the bugs worked out.

Sept. 7, 1876
View attachment 134698
Attempting a bold daytime robbery of the Northfield Minnesota bank
View attachment 134696 View attachment 134697
the James-Younger gang suddenly finds itself surrounded by angry townspeople.
View attachment 134695
... The citizens of Northfield ran to surround the bank and mercilessly shot down the robbers as they tried to escape.
The day the "square heads" killed or fatally wounded Clell Miller, Bill Chadwell & Charlie Pitts (Sammy Wells). Wounded were brothers Bob, Jim & Cole Younger (Cole had 11 wounds). Unharmed were Frank & Jesse James, & possibly an 8th man.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
September 11,2001
I was on news assignment that morning to
go cover a fluff story for the second segment
of our "5 PM" News.
Was told to head on instead to the airport for
a press conference regarding a jet crash at
the Twin Towers.
During the conference another jet crashed into the building.
Was sent to the blood bank to report on the volunteers and then to Lackland military base
and the team of doctors heading to NYC.

Security around the airports and courthouses
changed drastically after this tragic event.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Watching the Today show in my office while eating a bowl of Wheaties. Matt Lauer was interviewing Richard Hack about his new biography of Howard Hughes, a topic I found mildly interesting, and was annoyed when they abruptly cut him off to go to a bulletin about the first plane. First thought was "Empire State Building 1945 all over again." I was wrong.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hard to believe that about 1 3/4 years before that, one of our greatest worries was if our computer chips would work!!
B

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This day in 1666, the 'great fire of London' was finally extinguished.
The Monument to the Great Fire of London, more commonly known simply as the Monument, is a Doric column in the City of London, near the northern end of London Bridge, that commemorates the Great Fire of London.

It stands at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill, is 202 ft (62 m) in height and 202 ft (62 m) from the spot in Pudding Lane where the Great Fire started on 2 September 1666. Another monument, the Golden Boy of Pye Corner, marks the point near Smithfield where the fire was stopped. Constructed between 1671 and 1677, it was built on the site of St. Margaret's, Fish Street, the first church to be burnt down by the Great Fire.

The Monument comprises a fluted Doric column built of Portland stone topped with a gilded urn of fire. It was designed by Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke. Its height marks its distance from the site of the shop of Thomas Farriner (or Farynor), the king's baker, where the Great Fire began.[/QUOTE]
The_Monument_to_the_Great_Fire_of_London.JPG

This day in 2OO7, Luciano Pavarotti died of pancreatic cancer aged 71.
When a celebrity dies and that person is younger than me, it's always disconcerting. He was older than me in 2007 but now I have lived longer than he did.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Never, never forget the tragedy of 11 September and the group of people that committed this atrocity. Make no mistake, they were not our friends then and they are not our friends now. They are committed to our destruction, and we need to bear that in mind always in our dealings with them.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The Toronto Rock and Roll Revival concert was held. Performers included Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, The Doors and the Plastic Ono Band (aka John and Mrs. Lennon). The live recording by Lennon et al (Clapton in fact did not perform solo, he was a Plastic Ono) was released as "Live Peace in Toronto".

Can you dig it, man?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Rock_and_Roll_Revival

220px-1969_toronto_festival_poster.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
On this day in 1814, Francis Scott Key pens a poem which is later set to music and in 1931 becomes America’s national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner.” The poem, originally titled “The Defence of Fort McHenry,” was written after Key witnessed the Maryland fort being bombarded by the British during the War of 1812. Key was inspired by the sight of a lone U.S. flag still flying over Fort McHenry at daybreak, as reflected in the now-famous words of the “Star-Spangled Banner”: “And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.”
On June 18, 1812, America declared war on Great Britain after a series of trade disagreements. In August 1814, British troops invaded Washington, D.C., and burned the White House, Capitol Building and Library of Congress. Their next target was Baltimore.
After one of Key’s friends, Dr. William Beanes, was taken prisoner by the British, Key went to Baltimore, located the ship where Beanes was being held and negotiated his release. However, Key and Beanes weren’t allowed to leave until after the British bombardment of Fort McHenry. Key watched the bombing campaign unfold from aboard a ship located about eight miles away. After a day, the British were unable to destroy the fort and gave up. Key was relieved to see the American flag still flying over Fort McHenry and quickly penned a few lines in tribute to what he had witnessed.
The poem was printed in newspapers and eventually set to the music of a popular English drinking tune called “To Anacreon in Heaven” by composer John Stafford Smith. People began referring to the song as “The Star-Spangled Banner” and in 1916 President Woodrow Wilson announced that it should be played at all official events. It was adopted as the national anthem on March 3, 1931.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
On this day in 1814, Francis Scott Key pens a poem which is later set to music and in 1931 becomes America’s national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner.” The poem, originally titled “The Defence of Fort McHenry,” was written after Key witnessed the Maryland fort being bombarded by the British during the War of 1812. Key was inspired by the sight of a lone U.S. flag still flying over Fort McHenry at daybreak, as reflected in the now-famous words of the “Star-Spangled Banner”: “And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.”
On June 18, 1812, America declared war on Great Britain after a series of trade disagreements. In August 1814, British troops invaded Washington, D.C., and burned the White House, Capitol Building and Library of Congress. Their next target was Baltimore.
After one of Key’s friends, Dr. William Beanes, was taken prisoner by the British, Key went to Baltimore, located the ship where Beanes was being held and negotiated his release. However, Key and Beanes weren’t allowed to leave until after the British bombardment of Fort McHenry. Key watched the bombing campaign unfold from aboard a ship located about eight miles away. After a day, the British were unable to destroy the fort and gave up. Key was relieved to see the American flag still flying over Fort McHenry and quickly penned a few lines in tribute to what he had witnessed.
The poem was printed in newspapers and eventually set to the music of a popular English drinking tune called “To Anacreon in Heaven” by composer John Stafford Smith. People began referring to the song as “The Star-Spangled Banner” and in 1916 President Woodrow Wilson announced that it should be played at all official events. It was adopted as the national anthem on March 3, 1931.
Thank you so much for this GHT!!
Bowen

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We Brits often use a lower case 'r' in royalties. It puts the occupants of Buckingham Palace in their place.
Not sure about the 'R' guy though. I do know that your current incumbent at The White House shares his initials with a now forgotten acronym.
DT's or Delirium Tremens, a rapid onset of confusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner