Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today in History

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The W/K rule didn't take its current form until 1923. A few K's besides KDKA were in W territory before that, notably KYW in Chicago (which later moved to Philadelphia), and a few W's were in K territory, notably WBAP in Dallas and WDAF in Kansas City. Stations weren't required to change after the rule was finalized, but no new noncompliant call signs were issued.

Peacoat

Bartender
I grew up under the umbrella of the KDKA transmissions, and somewhere I heard that, as the first commercial broadcast station, KDKA was allowed to keep the K in it's call sign, even though it is east of the Mississippi. All other eastern stations begin with a W.

Does anyone know if that's correct?
I have heard another story of why it is KDKA and not WDKA, but the details are a bit fuzzy. If that story isn't entirely accurate, it is a good story nonetheless.

Edit Note: @LizzieMaine posted while I was away with what is the probably the more accurate story. I was in radio for awhile and had heard in the past why it was a K and not a W but just didn't remember.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
November 3, 1911
Louis Chevrolet teamed up with former General Motors William Durant to form the Chevrolet Motor Car Company. Chevrolet went on to become the bedrock division of General Motors.
8E775FCD-52EF-46C2-8D6A-7F2B3BE95BA6.jpeg

Peacoat

Bartender
In the Central Highlands of Vietnam, close to the borders with Cambodia and Laos, began the Battle of Dak in 1967. It would continue, with heavy loss of life, for the next 2 1/2 weeks. What a waste.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
November 3, 1957,
the Soviet Union took the Space Race to another level when it launched Sputnik 2, a 1000-pound payload carrying a living organism, a dog named Laika, into Earth orbit.
85191F82-6DFB-4C86-A300-145BDB83FF9F.jpeg

The dog Laika, the first living creature to orbit the Earth, did not live nearly as long as Soviet officials led the world to believe. The animal, launched on a one-way trip on board Sputnik 2 was said to have died about a week after blast-off.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
On this day in 2008, Barack Obama was elected as the 44th president of the United States of America.

On this day in 1879, Will Rodgers was born.

On this day in 1918, the English poet, Wilfred Owen was killed in action just one week before the signing of the armistice which ended the first world war. He was 25.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
On this day in 1664, 4 British ships, to drive Dutch out of NY, arrive in Boston. Later in 1664, New Amsterdam passed to English control, and English and Dutch settlers lived together peacefully. In 1673, there was a short interruption of English rule when the Netherlands temporary regained the settlement. In 1674, New York ways returned to the English, and in 1686 it became the first city in the colonies to receive a royal charter. After the American Revolution, it became the first capital of the United States.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Nov. 9, 1620
C39597F2-67DA-488F-A7E1-D510EFA5E6B8.jpeg

The Mayflower was destined to land not so far north as Massachusetts, but storms forced it up the coast. It took some 30 seamen to manage a ship the size of the Mayflower. Storms sorely tested that crew. The winds and seas grew so rough the ship could not use any sails at times. It simply drifted with the wind and waves. After arriving at the tip of Cape Cod, the Pilgrims began exploring for a site on which to build their settlement.

Peacoat

Bartender
On this day in 1989, East Germany opened the Berlin wall, it's demolition began the following day, parts of which can now be found on eBay. :rolleyes:
A German friend of mine got a piece of it for me back then and sent it to me. It is now in a small frame in my living room. Never thought I would see the day.

Speaking of Germany of a different time, on this date in 1938, Nazis burned and looted temples and Jewish-owned stores and houses in Germany and Austria in what became known as Kristallnacht (Crystal Night—referring to broken glass on streets). A harbinger of things to come. Time to start thinking about getting out of the country.

A German friend of mine got a piece of it for me back then and sent it to me. It is now in a small frame in my living room. Never thought I would see the day.

And that was the thing - growing up in the late '60s/'70s, it all seemed so permanent and then it all collapsed, seemingly (but not really) so quickly.

3fingers

One Too Many
On this day in 1989, East Germany opened the Berlin wall, it's demolition began the following day, parts of which can now be found on eBay. :rolleyes:
I have often wondered how many Berlin walls could be built from all of the pieces of the Berlin wall that have been made available for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot