Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today in History

^^^^^^
That Goebbels fellow was decidedly unwell. Whenever I get to putting much stock in notions such as “there is no violent solution,” I remind myself that there are characters such as Goebbels.

Last edited:

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1945: At SHAEF's operational headquarters in Reims, Colonel General Jodl, Chief of the Wehrmacht Command Staff, signs the unconditional total surrender of the German Wehrmacht effective May 8, 11:01 p.m. Central European Time.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1940: The British government ordered the internment of all German women aged 16 to 60 living in Britain on the Isle of Man.

1942: The Soviet troops who have been surrounded in Kharkov since May 23 surrender in the Second Battle of Kharkov in the German-Soviet War. Around 240,000 Soviet soldiers are taken prisoner of war. With this victory, the Germans gained the strategic prerequisites for the summer offensive of 1942.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The first “witch” hanged in Salem Village. Being found guilty of “certaine Detestable Arts called Witchcraft and Sorceries,” Bridget Bishop on this day in 1692 became the first person to be hanged during the Salem witch trials in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
A certain film, Three Sovereigns for Sarah with Vanessa Redgrave and I believe Patrick McGoohan made
round twenty yrs past or more. VR is a Salem villager whose three sisters were accused and hung. I missed this
and had forgotten til your post. Ever seen-

Peacoat

Bartender
Today in 1971, 24 y/o guitar great Duane Allman was killed in a motorcycle crash. He was the best guitarist of his generation and the best ever slide player. RIP my friend.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
On this day in 1963, President John F. Kennedy granted Winston Churchill the first ever honorary US citizenship.

Churchill could easily have been born American. Jeanette ('Jennie') Churchill (née Jerome), Lady Randolph Churchill. American born heiress and society figure was the mother of Sir Winston Churchill. She was one of the first so-called 'buccaneers' to cross the ocean, setting the trend of marrying into British aristocracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner