Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TONS of 1930s Fashion Photos

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's a late '30s studio publicity photo of some lucky actor surrounded by a bunch of beauties, including Marsha Hunt (bottom center, in profile) and Lana Turner (bottom right):

IMG_3097_edited-1.jpg

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
We need to form a Marsha Hunt fan club. She may well be still alive.

I believe she still is! Or at least I haven't found any dates that would indicate her passing. Hmm! There are so few old actresses alive from the era these days, it's sad. :(

decodoll

Practically Family
www.abe.com has about 18 copies of the book right now. It's not cheap, but this book is definitely worth it. I lucked out and got mine off a clearance table when it was still in print. This is one book I pull out all the time. Just to add one more credit to her growing list, she is also a very talented seamstress and made many of the outfits pictured herself. :)

maisie

Practically Family
She was beautiful and so were her fabulous clothes, there isn't one picture, or outfit, I didn't like!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
That had to be one of the best books I've looked through to get a look at women's fashion. In every photo, she looked absolutely great. It's such a great book so see how to fully pull of a look, it's amazing how when you add hat and/or gloves, how it really pulls a whole outfit together.
I would love to look like that daily, though, I'd probably be looked at as being insane (?)
MK...I definetly want to look at that book again!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's particularly interesting to see ONE PERSON -- Marsha Hunt -- wearing all those different styles and hairdos. It gives you a clear sense of how particular sets of clothes and hair fashions can make you look different ... just as they made her look different.

I didn't post the many photos of Marsha wearing 1940s fashions. They look every bit as good as the '30s clothes ... and she looks great in them too!

Since MK has the book, he can post those '40s photos here.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
her 40's outfits are actually my favorites...there's something about that period of time that I love about the clothes.
Good for you Marc....now MK won't feel totally beaten to the chase with posting pics :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
trying to win brownie points?

lol ....hope you know I'm kidding! I absolutely love this place. Such valuable information. Plus, have met so many great people.
What a great idea for a book like that! btw: was it popular when it came out?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I think I'm about to short circuit my computor from drool.

I mean, what? A lady never drools.
I'll take two of each, please :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
mysterygal said:
What a great idea for a book like that! btw: was it popular when it came out?
I don't know if it was popular, but the story behind it is ironic.

Back in the early 1980s, Marsha Hunt was asked to be a "grand marshall" at the opening of the Sherman Oaks Galleria shopping mall, in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley. Ironic, because this mall immediately became "ground zero" for the Valley Girls. (Remember them? Made famous by the Frank Zappa song with his daughter, Moon Unit?) Valley Girls were the spiritual precursors of today's Paris Hilton wannabes. Their attitude was pretty much the same. Vapid and tasteless.

Anyway, at the mall's opening, the theme was "The Golden Era of Fashion: the '30s and the '40s". Marsha Hunt contributed old photos of herself in clothing of those days. The incredibly positive response inspired her to write the book.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lauren Henline said:
I think I'm about to short circuit my computor from drool.

I mean, what? A lady never drools.
Believe me, this gentleman did!

Lauren, since you and I and Marsha Hunt live in Southern California, why don't we contact her? Apparently, she appeared onscreen as recently as 2005. Let's introduce her to the Fedora Lounge! What say you?

:)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Check out all the movies and TV shows that Marsha Hunt has been in! Tons. She played Mary Bennett in Pride and Prejudice (1940). She was also in Winter Carnival, a movie whose script F. Scott Fitzgerald was supposed to write, until he suffered an alcoholic relapse. (Read Budd Schulberg's novel about it: "The Disenchanted".)

HAT TRIVIA: One of the films is named Panama Hattie (1942).

SILLY TRIVIA: One of the films has a silly name: Joe and Ethel Turp Call on the President (1939).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0402554/#archive

Oh, and here's the latest movie she was in. From 2005:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419639/

Turns out that Marsha is the "honorary mayor" of Sherman Oaks, California.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt