Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tony Nowak Surrogates Jacket

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I was ready to order a Surrogates jacket from Tony.

He was a really great man with always the customer satisfaction in mind.

Tony did fantastic jackets, I'm fortunated enough to have two Raiders jackets and one Mutt jacket from him.

He will be missed v:(

crismans

New in Town
Not trying to stir anything up with this but Tony did create the jacket. It's not vintage, although the master sure did a good job making it look like one. Sure, it's an amalgamation of classics but the "bringing together" is all Nowak.

A friend of mine who was really good friends with Tony (I had a great "customer-jacket maker" relationship with him, although he made everybody feel like a best friend) saw this jacket in shop before the movie ever came out. Another friend bought the jacket from Tony and wanted it identical to what Willis had on screen. You'd be hard pressed to tell any difference.

crismans

New in Town
westinghouse said:
If you call them, they can still make the jacket.

They are busy fulfilling paid jacket orders right now (and I think they will think about taking new orders some time in the future). I saw a Surrogates that Riley Barrie (Tony's son-in-law if I'm not mistaken) and Tony's workers made. Looked terrific.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Yeah I saw it too on COW and when Riley is ready to take order, I'm buying a Surrogates Jacket (one of Tony's favorites if I'm not mistaken)

Edward

Bartender
Seb Lucas said:
Try for a vintage - it was a standard design in horsehide. Many thousands were produced and you wouldn't have to age it!

Mind you, you can see what Nowak has done to the jacket in terms of design in both the film and some photos. He has given the jacket wider shoulders than you would find on a period 1950's jacket. And check out the film. BW's jacket is worn longer than most people wear their Aeros. Although in this photo earlier it looks shorter than in other shots.

Avoiding the well worn discussion as to whether or not the one in the film was original or not, and looking specifically at the noe in this thread....

I agree with you on the differences. It's interesting, as while it is in possession of all the 'correct' vintage features, the cut, or at least the way it is worn - wider, longer, and a little looser than most originals I have seen - gives it more of a contemporary air, which I would assume to have been a deliberate choice on the part of the film's wardrobe design. Not to say there's anything wrong with that, of course. It is entirely possible that there were people back in the day who preferred longer and looser - I long ago learned about the perils of maiking normative assumptions based on a limited range of images [cough]"correct" A2 fit[/cough].

crismans

New in Town
I'd say that you're right on the changes to fit being intentional. I know that the sleeves were purposefully made longer than the normal ratio would be as, apparently, Bruce Willis prefers his sleeves that way.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Nonsense.
Too many are listening to too much movie jacket gossip hype
and someone may even be lying.:)

Manufactured by:
California Sportswear Co., L.A.
Some time in the '40s.

And the reason the sleeves appear "long", is because
Mr. BW has disproportionatey short dwarf arms.

I think the movie jacket guy may be able to take credit for re-lining the jacket.

You guys really should listen to some common sense.:)

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn