Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Too good to use..."

Talbot

One Too Many
How about those thick clear plastic furniture covers you'd see in the 60s -70s. Didn't everybody have a relative with a living room full of that stuff.

Back in the 80's a friend of mine had a very original 55 Pontiac that had the seats wrapped in plastic like that. We wondered if it wasn't some sort of factory fitment, but I have never seen it since.

It made for some interesting journeys in summer!

I'll leave people to do what they will with their own personal property, much as it might pain me to see an item which has lasted 60 or 70 years or longer get used in a way that will almost certainly destroy it in a matter of months.

I find myself reminding people prone to magical thinking that the reason for an original, unrestored, essentially good-as-new vintage hat (say) surviving in that condition is because it rarely if ever got used. It looks like an unused hat because it is an unused hat.

We've been over this territory many times before, over in the hats forum. Consensus, if there is one, is that a vintage hat aficionado ought to have enough of them so that none of them get worn so much as to leave any with terribly obvious signs of wear. And to save the truly special ones for those occasions when they are least likely to suffer any damage.

Feraud

Bartender
I had several friends, when I was a kid, and their house had a living room that was NEVER used. "Keeping up appearances", or something like that. Maybe when the Dad's boss came to dinner, once a year, it was used.

(Little did Mom know, that when we were in the house alone, we went straight to that room and lounged and rough-housed. Yeah, she probably knew.)

My parents furnished a dining room in "fancy" furniture totally enclosed in thick plastic. We four kids were forbidden and lived under a death thread to never enter the room. The furniture and everything else in that room sat unused it's entire lifespan. A total waste of money by poor folk with middle class aspirations.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My parents furnished a dining room in "fancy" furniture totally enclosed in thick plastic. We four kids were forbidden and lived under a death thread to never enter the room. The furniture and everything else in that room sat unused it's entire lifespan. A total waste of money by poor folk with middle class aspirations.

I wonder how much socio-economic class had to do with it. Both m grandmother and my mother kept sheets on the livingroom furniture (neither had a separate dining or family room). I'm not sure why they were protecting the furniture... because nobody "good enough" for not having the sheet on ever came.

puffMe

Banned
Maybe just their new way to earn money, well I don't believe in this to good to be use stuff, I guess it's a waste of time and money though.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
The value inherent in useable items is in their use. Otherwise they're just stuff hanging around.

This discussion reminds me of the leather-bound Shakespeare set in Abigail's Party that's "not for reading".

The value in an item is in the heart and mind of the owner. I find value in keeping some things "for good" meaning never. I have my own little private museum collections. They give me joy knowing they are there and when I look at them.

Feraud

Bartender
I wonder how much socio-economic class had to do with it. Both m grandmother and my mother kept sheets on the livingroom furniture (neither had a separate dining or family room). I'm not sure why they were protecting the furniture... because nobody "good enough" for not having the sheet on ever came.

An interesting point. While keeping this dining room pristine my parents never wanted to entertain guests. It makes you wonder why the wasted money and effort while our everyday kitchen furniture was usable mostly discarded separates.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
An interesting point. While keeping this dining room pristine my parents never wanted to entertain guests. It makes you wonder why the wasted money and effort while our everyday kitchen furniture was usable mostly discarded separates.

My family never wanted to entertain either, but that was more for psychological/ mental illness reasons. My grandmother, in particular, would have been embarrassed for people to see how "poor" they were- something which I don't think anyone would have noticed.

On the other hand, I entertain a lot. Mismatched furniture, dishes, etc. be damned. My dining room "set" is six chairs (4 match each other but formally had cane seats that have been replaced with plywood; the other two match each other and I dug them out of a dumpster while in college) and a table that matches none of it.

Nobody's ever commented on my mismatched furniture or dishes and I've never been embarrassed by them. I've always gotten compliments on everything, including how nice my home is, how lived in it feels, and how comfortable people feel here. But then I don't run with a crowd that cares about that sort of stuff.

That said, I have a fitted sheet on my futon mattress because I spill stuff all over it all the time. That and I like the sheet's pattern much better than seeing a plain mattress. But I'd never take the sheet off because of company or not.

Feraud

Bartender
Spilling is a part of life. We purchased a new couch and put a blanket over it. Between spills and the pug who thinks it's his bed, I'm trying to get as much life out of the couch as possible!

We tend to not purchase things that are too good to use. I don't see the point in it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Entertaining" has a different meaning in a working-class home, I think. We never had "parties" where people stood around sipping drinks and eating cheese dip, or anything like that -- not because of shame but because it simply wasn't something people like us ever did or had ever done. "Entertaining" in our world meant sitting around the kitchen table with people from the neighborhood talking or playing penny-ante poker. And nobody cared what the chairs looked like or if there were stains on the tablecloth, or if there wasn't any tablecloth at all.

I still don't "entertain" to this day. When I have people over we sit out on the porch and talk, and that's about it. (And if they don't like cat hair, they know better than to come over.)

My parent's house had a formal dining room & formal living room.
We used both rooms once a year as a family at Christmas = tree was in the living room & ate of the "good china" for Christmas dinner.
We had a breakfast room & a den that we used every day.
My parents did "entertain" & used those rooms for that a couple of times during the year.
I swore to never have a formal dining or living room. I rented a house that had them.
My house has a pool table in what the blueprints say is a dining room.
No formal living room, just one "great room".
We don't entertain = we have folks over to watch a game, play pool, grill out, etc.

"Entertaining" has a different meaning in a working-class home, I think. We never had "parties" where people stood around sipping drinks and eating cheese dip, or anything like that -- not because of shame but because it simply wasn't something people like us ever did or had ever done. "Entertaining" in our world meant sitting around the kitchen table with people from the neighborhood talking or playing penny-ante poker. And nobody cared what the chairs looked like or if there were stains on the tablecloth, or if there wasn't any tablecloth at all.

I still don't "entertain" to this day. When I have people over we sit out on the porch and talk, and that's about it. (And if they don't like cat hair, they know better than to come over.)
This is how it was in my parents' house as well. They realized the true value in "entertaining" was in spending time with people they cared about regardless of the "trappings"; what they called a "party" most people would refer to as more of a "gathering". To this day that's my idea of a successful party--I'd much rather have a real conversation with someone even if we've only just met than stand around making boring and meaningless small talk, and I'm far more at home sitting on a folding chair on someone's backyard patio than I am sitting on an overstuffed, overpriced couch in a museum-like setting where the hosts put coasters on top of coasters to protect their precious Ikea pressboard coffee table with the faux mahogany finish.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm far more at home sitting on a folding chair on someone's backyard patio than I am sitting on an overstuffed, overpriced couch in a museum-like setting where the hosts put coasters on top of coasters to protect their precious Ikea pressboard coffee table with the faux mahogany finish.

I love your cynicism.

On the basis of, to good to use, how do loungers feel about old cars? Pre-war cars, the ones that had 6 volt electrics, dynamos, positive earth, crossply tyres, drum brakes and no way of dealing with the overheating caused by traffic delays. My current, but soon to be history, 1939 car, went everywhere on a trailer, hauled by my van. The last thing that I wanted was some sort of breakdown, where I was stuck for an eternity, the breakdown crew, being unfamiliar with such old cars would be of limited, if any help at all.

The only mileage that I have done with the car is to show it off at exhibitions. But I want to buy another pre-war car. It might upset the purists, but I intend to have the polarity reversed, install an alternator and have radial tyres fitted. It will only get local area use, but whenever I do use it, I certainly intend to dress the part. So, your thoughts.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I love your cynicism.

On the basis of, to good to use, how do loungers feel about old cars? Pre-war cars, the ones that had 6 volt electrics, dynamos, positive earth, crossply tyres, drum brakes and no way of dealing with the overheating caused by traffic delays. My current, but soon to be history, 1939 car, went everywhere on a trailer, hauled by my van. The last thing that I wanted was some sort of breakdown, where I was stuck for an eternity, the breakdown crew, being unfamiliar with such old cars would be of limited, if any help at all.

The only mileage that I have done with the car is to show it off at exhibitions. But I want to buy another pre-war car. It might upset the purists, but I intend to have the polarity reversed, install an alternator and have radial tyres fitted. It will only get local area use, but whenever I do use it, I certainly intend to dress the part. So, your thoughts.

I'm using a '41 Dodge as my daily driver except when there's snow on the ground -- after getting the engine and the brakes properly rebuilt. Not modded or rodded -- rebuilt to original specifications, and it wasn't easy finding someone who could handle the brakes without screwing them up. But I did, and after the money it cost me, of course I'm going to drive it as often as I can. What's the point of owning a car you're not going to drive? A car that doesn't get driven is just an expensive lawn ornament.

I've got the original 6-volt-positive system, and it works just fine. I had the generator rebuilt and replaced the wiring harness, and it's perfectly reliable.

I love your cynicism.

Those are all reasons why I don't own cars older than 1955. You start getting into the area of being useless non today's roads. However, there are cars that are fine to use well back into the 30s depending on manufacturer. You can use a 1939 Dodge just fine as long as you don't mind going slow. :p You just have to choose carefully.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
'68 Fender Jazz Bass
'68 Gibson Recording Bass
'73 Plexiglass Rennaisance Bass

They're too good to use in most situations. Sweat, theft, clumsiness etc... Yes I have some "hanger queens" but very few.

Worf

DSC00132.jpg

Last edited:
'68 Fender Jazz Bass
'68 Gibson Recording Bass
'73 Plexiglass Rennaisance Bass

They're too good to use in most situations. Sweat, theft, clumsiness etc... Yes I have some "hanger queens" but very few.

Worf

I REALLY don't get having musical instruments that don't get played. They *want* to be played...they *need* to be played. They die if they just hang on the wall or sit in a case in the closet.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Not to mention the fact they go out of tune if you don't play them regular, and then you have to tune them up all over again before you can play them. Instead of tuning them regular if you play them all the time.

We had a Yamaha studio upright piano in our house. I learned to play on that thing. We NEVER had it tuned. For reasons I don't fully understand. But one day, I just couldn't take it anymore. I mean we had bouncing hammers and ringing keys, because the strings were going slack and the hammers were losing all their firmness. You'd hit one note, and it would ring and jangle and screw up your whole song.

The problem is, you don't tune it for 20 years, it takes 10 years to tune it back up again.

In the end, we just sold it and dad bought another piano. This one's a grand, and I was terrified that dad was gonna be all: "Don't play it because you might damage it" or whatever.

We've had that piano tuned twice in 10 years. I reckon it's probably due for another tuning...

Feraud

Bartender
I REALLY don't get having musical instruments that don't get played. They *want* to be played...they *need* to be played. They die if they just hang on the wall or sit in a case in the closet.
My son is a very decent guitarist and I am emphasizing the importance of being a musician and not a collector.

I am steering him away from that odd mentality of spending thousands of dollars for new guitars that are trying to look like they've spent 20 years on the road. He recently showed me the Clapton "Brownie" Strat. I told him if he wants a guitar that looks 20 years old then own a guitar for 20 years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner