Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Old for a Short Leather Jacket?

Feraud

Bartender
I think it was in the 80s and 90s but high-street fashions tend towards the skinny look nowadays...
I'm sure there are regional differences. Here in NYC the ones you see wearing the skinny look are adult gay men/fashion district followers. N.Y. is closer to N.J. than the U.K. ;)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HI

I bought an A-2 for my Dad for roughly his 68th birthday. He wore it until he was about 85 when the situation in Springfield Illinois with respect to crime was such that he was scared to wear it. He was a WW2 USAAC Veteran.

Later

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I actually think an A-2 doesn't look right on a younger guy and it's a coat for a guy 40 and up. most guys I see in A-2s are in their 50s. Kind of like aviator sunglasses I couldn't pull them off until I was well into my 30s.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I actually think an A-2 doesn't look right on a younger guy and it's a coat for a guy 40 and up. most guys I see in A-2s are in their 50s. Kind of like aviator sunglasses I couldn't pull them off until I was well into my 30s.

My son's 17. He is considered a cool dude, sort of a rock star kind, around here. He wears an A-2 to play in a concert He also wears a Highwayman, at times, or a jeans jacket, or just a shirt or a t-shirt And anything else possible, he still looks cool. Now with me, a different story. I ain't 17, I have to pay attention, especially as I don't play the guitar that well...

Graemsay

Practically Family
I disagree. I think that this A2 looks far better on its twentysomething model than virtually any A2 I've seen on the Fedora Lounge or my occasional forays onto VLJ.

img57852254.jpg

The A2 suits slim builds best, rather than those who ate all the pies. :eek:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Speaking imho, I think it depends more on your weight/frame than age. Shorter jackets look better on average build men. Stouter fellows benefit from a bit of length.

Absolutely. As Billy Connolly said "acting your age is just as daft as acting your street number" If you're a person of girth, whether your 20 or 60, short jackets just accentuate your size and don't really look good. If you've hung on to your girlish figure, why not make the most of it? I'd try to avoid the blouson look that seems to come with advancing years - it smacks of expensive body coverage - but a nicely fitted leather jacket in the right colour I think can give a rough-hewn cool that an old blazer can't.

majormajor

One Too Many
Absolutely. As Billy Connolly said "acting your age is just as daft as acting your street number" If you're a person of girth, whether your 20 or 60, short jackets just accentuate your size and don't really look good. If you've hung on to your girlish figure, why not make the most of it? I'd try to avoid the blouson look that seems to come with advancing years - it smacks of expensive body coverage - but a nicely fitted leather jacket in the right colour I think can give a rough-hewn cool that an old blazer can't.

I can go with that:D;)

strokes1251

Practically Family
I don't think jackets have ages to which they could be "pulled off". If you like a style whether your 20 or 100, wear it opinions never matter in the end. Plus who knows maybe after she sees you in one she will change her mind :p

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
If we're just giving opinions anyway,I'd tell your wife to take a look at a picture of MacArthur,I'm sure he was past his 40s or what ever number your wife says is to old to wear that style.Looks damn good IMHO

Cooperson

One Too Many
I think it's worth trying lots of jackets styles on, you will know yourself what suits you and what doesn't - go with you're initial feeling! It's when you *try* to make a jacket suit you that things go wrong - I'm still trying to *like* jackets I bought that I know I should really let go :)

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I think it's worth trying lots of jackets styles on, you will know yourself what suits you and what doesn't - go with you're initial feeling! It's when you *try* to make a jacket suit you that things go wrong - I'm still trying to *like* jackets I bought that I know I should really let go :)

My only thought is that at 52 you would have a good idea of what works for you and what doesn't,not always but at least close?

AtlantaSpike

Familiar Face
It's all in how you carry it off. Worn with confidence, this 51 year old with a beer gut gets lots of compliments on his short jackets. I usually wear a black CHP or brown bootlegger style. I think they look smashing on me, and that is more than enough to carry the day.

BobJ

Practically Family
Very well said AtlantaSpike! That's why, in school, certain "cool" kids are fashion leaders and other kids copy them. The "cool" kids are confident enough to wear something different from the rest of the herd, the less confident kids have to wait until others are starting to wear it. I have observed this because I have a fashion-conscious daughter in high school.

dmdmorris - Pretty smart asking that question here on a forum of mostly older gents! :)

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
It's all in how you carry it off. Worn with confidence, this 51 year old with a beer gut gets lots of compliments on his short jackets. I usually wear a black CHP or brown bootlegger style. I think they look smashing on me, and that is more than enough to carry the day.

Hey Atlanta haven't heard from you,did you buy the jacket with the tail?(haha)

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I don't think jackets have ages to which they could be "pulled off". If you like a style whether your 20 or 100, wear it opinions never matter in the end.

This is just a platitude, in reality it's just not true at all. There are many styles of dress that simply aren't age appropriate and just look absurd. Put a 60 year old man in high tops, skinny jeans, tight T and he looks ridiculous. Put him in a Brooks Brothers suit he looks distinguished.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
This is just a platitude, in reality it's just not true at all. There are many styles of dress that simply aren't age appropriate and just look absurd. Put a 60 year old man in high tops, skinny jeans, tight T and he looks ridiculous. Put him in a Brooks Brothers suit he looks distinguished.

Saying that is like saying if you're prematurely grey and out of shape you shouldn't wear that either,or is it that it looks ridiculous no matter who wears?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24