Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too short a brim or am I overthinking it?

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Well, took some pics, one of me in full suit with the hat in question.

And this is all of my hats, save a short brimmed woollite by Bailey I got just to wear out in snow, walk the dog, yard work, etc.

All four together:

My two Buckaroos:

And my two greys, the Falcon (lighter) and the Stetson Saxon (my first true hat)

jhe888

One of the Regulars
The narrower brim hat looks better with a suit than just with a shirt. I like it with a suit quite a lot. With a suit, it really has that late '20s/'30s look. For more casual wear, I think I'd like it better with a little more brim.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
You know, that makes a lot of sense. My Stetson looks great with a suit, but looks too dressy with a casual outfit, even nice slacks with a cashmere sweater, though it is not bad that way. But the Falcon looks better with a tie. The two Buckaroos, those hats, especially my new brown one, look great with khakis and jeans

That brim measures right at 2 inches? Just looking at the pics, I would have guessed a skosh more than that.

Whatever the ruler says, the proportions look good to me. Lotsa crown, for sure, but I like that look.

In that picture of you in the mirror, it looks maybe a tad too high, but just a tad, and it appears to be riding just a tad too high on your head as well, which may be further exaggerating that look. But still, it's a good-lookin' hat, and it looks good on you.

smokepiper

New in Town
I think the brim width is spot on. I'd tighten the pinch and shorten the crown a bit. With your long face, I think shortening the crown will add a bit of balance.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think both hats look good on you. But they are very different.

The first one is a traditional 1930s city hat. Yes, it is tall. I would try some of the offered suggestions such as pinching and lowering the crown, and snapping down the front of the brim. Between these two exercises, you may very well find a combo that turns your head around regarding this hat.

As for over-thinking it, you know what you like. If something doesn't strike you right, take a whack at modifying it before you get rid of it.

Last edited:
I think as you gain comfort in wearing lids, wider brims don't seem so drastic. You were previously warned...
My stingy-est brim is 2 3/8, never thought I care for anything less than 2 1/2.
Under 2 3/8, I don't see the sun protection I need against skin cancer.
I'll go with over-thinking...

I think both hats look good on you. But they are very different.

Nutshell. Vive la differénce.

brownclearnutria6.jpg

Last edited:

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I think both lids look great on you. But remember, it's your hat and if it isn't working for you, feel free to send it to me!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR