Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top gun movie jacket

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
I like the non fur collar version too. I just dont like the jackets where the fur collar is removable. They look a bit finny to me.

kojax

Practically Family
classic-naval-aviators-100-mission-flight-jacket-without-patches-brown-front001-Z21C0071.jpg
i have this jacket from cockpit usa g1 vintage goatskin jacket . i really like this jacket for the winter months, the goatskin leather is really nice

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
I like the collar. My dads 1940s vintage NAVY jacket had a lambs wool collar. I was tempted to have a tailor remove the older collar and put it on my new G1. I think the collar is relevant to the coat size and my new jacket is larger than dads. This switch may not work.

Can you get the old style wool collars today new separately and get them sewed on ? ANYONE ?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I like the collar. My dads 1940s vintage NAVY jacket had a lambs wool collar. I was tempted to have a tailor remove the older collar and put it on my new G1. I think the collar is relevant to the coat size and my new jacket is larger than dads. This switch may not work.

Can you get the old style wool collars today new separately and get them sewed on ? ANYONE ?

You can buy mouton but good quality stuff isn’t so easy to come by. You would need to remake the collar with mouton on one side. You can’t just sew it on.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
My dad wore a medium size jacket in his early pilot days. ( 38 ? ) My coat size is an Extra Large Tall so I dont think the collar switch will even work.

Edward

Bartender
It won't switch, no. A good repro will have a mouton collar anyhow, which will wear in quickly and look much like your original.

Did the USN ever actually use the G2 designation? I always thought it was a commercial fiction, much like the G8. The USN jacket (which started as the M422, then became the M422A, then the AN6552, before being designated the G1 post-war) did briefly coexist with a new, leather-collared version designated the ANJ3, but these were never standard issue, being rather an experimental jacket to see if they could create a single jacket for both Army and Navy pilots. Of course Hap Arnold then decided to drop leather altogether, and so that plan went the way of the Dodo as the USAAF instead went to the cloth B10, quickly superceded by the cloth B15 / B15A, and subsequent nylon variations thereon.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I thought that the G-2 was a market designation as well since, by the time they called the G-1 by its name, the A-2 was long gone and any notions of a combined AF/Navy jacket had passed by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Looks like Cockpit makes a repro Top Gun jacket. And it's on sale. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in it. But if it takes your breath away...

:D

I've always hated that film myself, but you can certainly see why some of the makers brought out a copy of the jacket in it. I suspect itg did a lot to raise the profile of the USN jackets at the time, though Cruise is sure no Macqueen.

Deacon211

One Too Many
:D

I've always hated that film myself, but you can certainly see why some of the makers brought out a copy of the jacket in it. I suspect itg did a lot to raise the profile of the USN jackets at the time, though Cruise is sure no Macqueen.

I always had the impression that Top Gun "brought back" the flight jacket, from the public's point of view.

Certainly, my age had some effect on this perception, but there seemed to be an explosion of flight jackets after Top Gun and Indy.

I recall going into the Avirex "showroom" in maybe 1984. It was some tenth floor commercial space in Manhattan with no signage and about the size of a studio apartment. It was jammed with the oddest selection of one off jackets in all sorts of sizes.

Within a couple of years, Avirex ballooned in size with a true storefront (the first of several) and everyone from LL Bean to Banana Republic had some kind of flight jacket for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I remember correctly, Top Gun came out at about the same time as An Officer and a Gentleman. They were both awful films, but I remember thinking at the time that they were the first pro-military movies since The Green Berets, back in the mid-Sixties.

Edward

Bartender
If I remember correctly, Top Gun came out at about the same time as An Officer and a Gentleman. They were both awful films, but I remember thinking at the time that they were the first pro-military movies since The Green Berets, back in the mid-Sixties.

Top Gun supposedly proved quite the recruitment tool for the USN pilot programme. It did have access to all the hardware, of course - as one might epect, the military are very supportive of productions which will show them in a positive light, less so if the piece is perceived as critical. (As would be the case for pretty much any organisation, of course.)

Top Gun supposedly proved quite the recruitment tool for the USN pilot programme. It did have access to all the hardware, of course - as one might epect, the military are very supportive of productions which will show them in a positive light, less so if the piece is perceived as critical. (As would be the case for pretty much any organisation, of course.)

My Bro was in the USMC in Pensacola when that came out. Man, did he HATE it LOL!
All except that the women (girls) were there in hoards...not even he could dismiss that. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav