Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Quality Biltmore

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I would have rather had the pin than the feather, but I can always borrow the one from the pinch. I bought an old DC 3 (Stratoliner) Pin on e bay a few weeks back. It will look even better.
After a night on the jack this hat is fitting great. I think there may have been a little contraction from the cold as it spent a day and night on the ferry before I picked it up yesterday.It must have been -15c. at least.
This is going to be a nice hat to shape, very nice felt. I would have loved to have got one in fawn or silverbelly!

Got my new Silverbelly Wilderness Collection out yesterday & put a dry diamond crease in it.
Mine came with the hat pin. True to size just like my Fawn Silver Buckle Collection.
Will wear it tomorrow & get a photo...

...Will wear it tomorrow & get a photo...
Well, at least I got a photo or 2...
IMG_20130219_082728_087.jpg

IMG_20130219_082739_503.jpg

Dapper-Dan

New in Town
Does anyone have any pictures of the Biltmore rosellini, eleganza, or ark? I would really appreciate it if you could post them, because I'm looking at those 3 but I can't tell how well they would suit me, just looking at the hats-plus pictures. I unfortunately can't get to any hatter to try them on.

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
New-Old-Stock Biltmores? Thank you, I believe I will.

So I went looking for a "cav hat" today... basically, a black slouchy type hat to wear with a red cavalry cord. The nice young lady at Byrnie Utz (new girl, I think, but memory rarely serves anymore) showed me a few interesting models. The beavery Borsalino didn't really do it for me (esp. at $$$$560.00); the Stetson Borough was a bit jagged for my tastes; and the actual cavalry model Stetsons are stiffer than roofing tiles... this doesn't bode well for fitting one to my bony-browed, long and narrow skull. And while I like the new Stratoliner (so shoot me -- it's a comfy, sharp-looking hat), it wasn't quite the thing for blinging with shiny little distinctive unit insignias (again, fire away -- if I pay for a hat only to punch holes in it, well, it's my hat, eh?).

Then they pulled out a NOS, made-in-Canada Biltmore, black with a 2-3/4" brim. More or less a fedora, it's blocked with a longitudinal center dent and modest front pinches. Pretty high crown. Doesn't really suit my face, but I think it suits my tastes. The felt is astounding to me, lighter and smoother by a long chalk than my current favorite walkin' around hat, a "silk finish" Stetson Sovereign. Can't remember the actual model name, but I think I'm gonna own that one.

Popped it onto layaway for a couple of weeks, then scuttled home to check the Lounge and see about Biltmores, as I was totally unfamiliar with them. As usual, this forum failed to disappoint; I thank the participants of this thread for the modest number of insights which my dented brain is able to absorb.

I'll be returning the open crown Akubra Campdraft in some flavor of Aussie beige that I bought there last year and haven't yet worn. B.U. is quietly amazing about their return policy; no questions asked as long as it's in resellably new condition. The Akubra will cover most (possibly all) of the cost of the Biltmore, as they haven't raised the price of the Biltmore since they put it into inventory in the first place. Not sure what year that may have been; perhaps the label has a clue. I may try posting a picture of it to inquire from y'all.

It is entirely possible that I'll shop there again. I'm quite pleased.

Cheers,

Jack

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
A red hat cord is artillery. Yellow is cavalry.

Right you are, gtdean48. In a cavalry unit, yellow cords are for scouts, light blue for infantry, red for arty, gold/black for officers (or John Wayne), silver/black for warrants, etc.

Nobody outside the cav and the horse-mounted artillery half-section at Ft. Sill has worn broad-brimmed hats with a service uniform since I dunno when... or hat cords, either. If you earn your spurs while attached to a cav unit -- usually through a spur ride, or by fighting with that unit -- you can wear the Western-style hat (generally a Stetson) and spurs on appropriate occasions, but you tie on your own branch color if you're not a scout. So the red knots and acorns constitute a "cav cord" to me, regardless of color.

Since I've been attached to a deployed cav unit, and have variously held MOSes in artillery, infantry, and psychological operations (no cord color for THAT branch!), I've settled on redleg scarlet the way you might settle on a favorite old cafe.

Lately, I've been wearing my cav cord on a silverbelly OR Stetson. That may offend traditionalists, I suppose, but it's unlikely that most folks actually know enough about the traditions to take issue. After all, we live in an age where the 2ID "Indianhead" patch -- insignia of possibly the most storied division in the U.S. Army -- is frequently mistaken for the logo of the Indian Motocycle Company.

Certainly, the gents down at my DAV chapter haven't raised any fuss about my red cord; the old Marine/Army colonel with the DSC on his hat wanted to know where he could find himself a "campaign hat" like mine. :)

I think my black and brimmy Biltmore will look more appropriate with that the cord... even if it was formed and finished by them Frenchward-leaning Canadians. ;)

Peace to ya,

Jack

P.S. I am NOT intending to break in my Biltmore by the traditional technique, either.

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
MANY thanks to you & those like you that chose to serve!

Least I could do. I got a lot from my time in.

In more hatterous news, the Biltmore is IN DA HOUSE.

It's got the sweet black felt. Label agrees with my Starrett rule that the brim size is 2-3/4 inches. Hat size is 7-1/2; slightly big for me but it's more likely to shrink than grow, and my hair is currently summer-shorn to a #2 guard on the sides. Might tuck a little foam in there... or just snug up my cav cord. ;-)

The exchange with my last year's unworn Akubra cost me 20 bucks plus tax, so I'm not into it too deep. Byrnie Utz had it priced at $185. I wonder if they have one in a more suitable color for suits...? I'm almost afraid to ask. I'm already stealing from my woodworking budget.

There's a bit of shiny oil guard inside the peak of the crown, over a label that says it's a "Rosellini." I dunno; might be a bit too nice to festoon with DUIs.

Shoot. Perhaps another hat, then.

viclip

Practically Family
Jaxworx, greetings from Canada. As you're probably aware, the Biltmore Rosellini is/was the top of the line of the now defunct Canadian operation, glad you like it.
You mentioned that the 7-1/2 which you acquired, was somewhat large. Is 7-1/2 your nominal size such that you find the Rosellini to be generously sized?
The reason I ask is that I'm a 7-5/8 with an itch to order on-line a Rosellini in "Sudan" colour; unfortunately that hat is sized 7-1/2. But if that's a generously sized 7-1/2 then it'll probably fit me (hair-wise I'm sporting the Yul Brynner look these days).

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Jaxworx, greetings from Canada. As you're probably aware, the Biltmore Rosellini is/was the top of the line of the now defunct Canadian operation, glad you like it.

Thanks! I'm truly pleased with it.

I'd gleaned the impression from this thread that the Biltmore is considered a nice item, but I didn't actually know the Rosy was a "top o' the line" piece -- or even that this hat was a Rosellini, until I went down and swapped the Akubra for it. Not only is it a nicely made item, it also has enough brim for herding sheep in Idaho.

Not that I'm ever planning to wrangle sheep again. <turns and spits, makes hex sign>

You mentioned that the 7-1/2 which you acquired, was somewhat large. Is 7-1/2 your nominal size such that you find the Rosellini to be generously sized?

Actually, no. My nominal size is 7-3/8 with NO leeway for shrinkage or hair growth. I wanted to try "sweating in" a 7-1/2 size to see if it will fit better in the long term.

The reason I ask is that I'm a 7-5/8 with an itch to order on-line a Rosellini in "Sudan" colour; unfortunately that hat is sized 7-1/2. But if that's a generously sized 7-1/2 then it'll probably fit me (hair-wise I'm sporting the Yul Brynner look these days).

That's the only way to ensure a consistent hat fit. ;-)

Cheers,

Jack

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Biltmore is now made at the Milano Hat Company factory just down the street from where Stetsons are made. You may want to look at the Milano Classic collection they have 3 types of cavalry hats with 3" brims. We don't carry the hat but could order it for you.
Jeff
Living the Dream at
DelMonico Hatter

Thanks, Jeff!

However, I think I'll stick with the Rosy for a bit; tuck the red cord onto it and see how I like that before sticking it full of pinholes. Who knows? The big, black Biltmore may become my funeral and bureaucracy hat instead of a nostalgic affectation. [huh]

If so, I may be hitting you up for that more, er, "Stetsonian" look. :)

Cheers,

Jack

viclip

Practically Family
Thanks! I'm truly pleased with it.

I'd gleaned the impression from this thread that the Biltmore is considered a nice item, but I didn't actually know the Rosy was a "top o' the line" piece -- or even that this hat was a Rosellini, until I went down and swapped the Akubra for it. Not only is it a nicely made item, it also has enough brim for herding sheep in Idaho.

Not that I'm ever planning to wrangle sheep again. <turns and spits, makes hex sign>

Actually, no. My nominal size is 7-3/8 with NO leeway for shrinkage or hair growth. I wanted to try "sweating in" a 7-1/2 size to see if it will fit better in the long term.

That's the only way to ensure a consistent hat fit. ;-)

Cheers,

Jack

Sounds like I need to keep resisting ordering the 7-1/2 Rosellini. It's priced at $225 (USD), with shipping & currency exchange I'd be looking at 3 bills. A bit much to fork out on spec.

Incidentally I've seen the Biltmore Rosy's listed as high as $245-250. It looks like you got a good deal, all the sweeter since you like the hat.

Thx for your debriefing. Like others here I'm kicking myself for not picking up tons of Biltmores prior to the shuttering of the Guelph, Ontario plant (formerly just 3 hours away)...best

Lije Baley

New in Town
I retired 5 years ago. While working, I'd alternated a (Glacier Gray) Biltmore Rosellini and a (Mink Brown) Stetson Temple, depending on the color of my suit/tie combo. I bought the Biltmore in the late eighties or early nineties. It served me well, but then was put in the closet when I retired. This thread prompted me to get it out of its cedar-lined hat box and take a look at it. The brim needs steaming and the hat could do with a cleaning, but it's in good shape. It is incredibly soft felt and after years of rain and sun is very comfortable. Now that I can look at it and not think of it as a "work" hat, I'm going to try to incorporate it into my more casual retiree wardrobe.

Thanks for prompting me to check it, and my Temple, out. They're both in the rotation now with several Akubras.

Last edited:
well i don't know hat kind of quality is accepted as quality but my Biltmore is a sweet one , i call it my 51 senator flip-customed feather and hat pin

IMG_0675.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n570/LoveMyHats2/canadalogo4x.jpg[/IMG]'] http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n570/LoveMyHats2/canadaleather.jpg[/IMG]'] http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n570/LoveMyHats2/wildernesslable.jpg[/IMG]'] http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n570/LoveMyHats2/frontbash.jpg[/IMG]']
Hats plus exhausted my efforts for my size being out of stock, however I was shown some love by a fellow lounger whom tossed his new Biltmore in my size, my way. Could not be more satisfied. Easy bash, fits well, nice finish A-1 in my book.

Very nice sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR